Voice commands and contacts

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to use the voice commands to navigate to the address of a contract? Or the address of a calendar item?

These are the two things I would want to do most often without touching the phone, but I can't figure out how to do either one.

I'm on Sprint and still using 4.2 if that matters.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Google now should work for one of these items. I believe you can say "Navigate to Archie Bunker's address" and it will open the navigation window. From there you will probably have to touch the begin navigation button, so not totally hands free. Also if you have Google now open you can say "Hello Google" to activate the voice search/navigation feature hands free. You will want to go into your Google now settings and make sure you have Navigation, and Contacts selected as searchable.

As for the calendar issue, if it's a place that you can Google you should be able to navigate there, but your request will have nothing to do with your calendar event. So you can't say "Navigate to Bart Simpson's birthday party" or "Navigate to my 3:30 appointment on the 6th." Although you might try the latter. If you have the address entered in away that Google Maps recognizes with no extra information in that field, it might work.? Obviously saying "Navigate to 6925 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood, CA 90028" will work, and again you probably have to press begin navigation.

One last note you will want to have GPS enabled or it will ask you to enable it before it can navigate.

Hope this helps. I'm going to try it out after work, just to see for myself.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Google now should work for one of these items. I believe you can say "Navigate to Archie Bunker's address" and it will open the navigation window....
I've tried lots of variants of that, and every time it gives me a google search for "Archie Bunker", rather than looking up the address of my contact, Archie Bunker. I tried to find a place to tell it to search my contacts, but the only place I could find is set to "on", and it DOES correctly look up phone numbers from my contacts.

I am finding this very frustrating. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but it kills the value of "hands free" when 90% of what I want to do in the car doesn't work.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried and tried and tried some more, but the best I could do was get it to open the people app. And twice it took me to a Contacts+ app. I watched the video for the app and still don't know what it does. The next thing to do would be to use the help & feedback and request an addition or direction.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried and tried and tried some more, but the best I could do was get it to open the people app. And twice it took me to a Contacts+ app. I watched the video for the app and still don't know what it does. The next thing to do would be to use the help & feedback and request an addition or direction.
I did use the feedback feature to ask Google about it. Maybe we'll get support in a later update. I doubt I am unusual in thinking this would be useful.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800