Is there an app that turns the screen off but doesn't lock the phone?

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using an app called Screen Off and Lock from the Play Store.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=tNFABM4P

The problem is that whenever I hit the widget to turn the screen off, it locks the device even though I have a trusted bluetooth device connected. If I just push the power button to turn the screen off, the trusted bluetooth device feature works fine and it does not prompt me for my PIN when I turn the screen on.

So I'm looking for a similar app that turns the screen off but does NOT lock it.

Last edited:

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Why not just let the timer shut it off at a desired number of seconds??? With active display it is eacy to turn back on. Chris

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Why not just let the timer shut it off at a desired number of seconds??? With active display it is eacy to turn back on. Chris

I could set the display to turn off at the minimum 15 seconds but if I'm reading something in Chrome, it'll keep dimming and I'll have to touch the screen to make sure it doesn't turn off. Not a huge deal but still annoying.

I like the ability to turn the screen off at will without using the power button.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I could set the display to turn off at the minimum 15 seconds but if I'm reading something in Chrome, it'll keep dimming and I'll have to touch the screen to make sure it doesn't turn off. Not a huge deal but still annoying.

I like the ability to turn the screen off at will without using the power button.

interesting. hmmm. *want*

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but saw that under the security settings you can change the automatic lock to a maximum of 30 minutes. That way at least you won't have it lock when it goes to sleep.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings -> security and uncheck "power button instantly locks" Then set the "automatically lock" time to longer than 15 seconds. You can set it up to 30 minutes. You can turn off the screen but it will not prompt you for a PIN/pattern until after the interval has passed. If you wake up the phone and turn off the screen again the timer resets.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently using an app called Screen Off and Lock from the Play Store.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.katecca.screenofflockdonate&token=VMCK6saJ

The problem is that whenever I hit the widget to turn the screen off, it locks the device even though I have a trusted bluetooth device connected. If I just push the power button to turn the screen off, the trusted bluetooth device feature works fine and it does not prompt me for my PIN when I turn the screen on.

So I'm looking for a similar app that turns the screen off but does NOT lock it.

Did you ever find one? I just got this one and it might do what you're looking for. Thanks for the great idea. Love it. Might just be making the screen go black (as in, putting up a black screen), cuz my soft buttons are still apparent. But i'm thinking that's pretty much the same thing? dunno.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.iwashisoft.screenoff&token=v7_k84zm

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever find one? I just got this one and it might do what you're looking for. Thanks for the great idea. Love it. Might just be making the screen go black (as in, putting up a black screen), cuz my soft buttons are still apparent. But i'm thinking that's pretty much the same thing? dunno.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.iwashisoft.screenoff&token=qgW831mA

I'm actually still using the same app I posted in the OP. Difference is, instead of using the native Trusted Devices feature, I'm using a third party app called Skiplock.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.benhirashima.skiplock&token=cuvfjMLK (4-day trial)

With this app, when I tap Screen Off and Lock, the screen turns off but it doesn't lock it. I also set a gesture in Nova Launcher Prime pointing to the Screen Off and Lock app so whenever I want to turn off the screen, I just double tap anywhere on a homescreen.

With Skiplock, you can also bypass your secure lockscreen whenever you're connected to your home or work wifi network along with bluetooth devices.

vzangel

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I've found another option that doesn't need another app to manage the lock screen, but it requires Tasker and root access:

Thanks to JustRollWithIt over at reddit (https://m.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/34tq51/how_to_turn_off_display_without_locking/cqy5ql7) I learned that the shell command input keyevent 26 can be used to turn off the screen without locking it, as it simulates pressing the power button. So I just made a very simple task in Tasker to execute this command. Then in Nova Launcher pointed the action for double tapping to the task shortcut.

A small downside is that it has a small delay, 2 or 3 seconds, I don't know where it comes from, maybe asking for root privileges or the input of the shell command. I've even convert it to a stand alone app and execute it directly, but with the same results.

I have no coding experience at all, so I can't troubleshoot it, but I hope someone find this useful.

vzangel

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I've found another option that doesn't need another app to manage the lock screen, but it requieres Tasker and have root access:

Thanks to JustRollWithIt over at reddit (https://m.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/34tq51/how_to_turn_off_display_without_locking/cqy5ql7) I learned that the shell command input keyevent 26 can be used to turn off the screen without locking it, as it simulates pressing the power button. So I just made a very simple task in Tasker to execute this command. Then in Nova Launcher pointed the action for double tapping to the task shortcut.

A small downside is that it has a small delay, 2 or 3 seconds, I don't know where it comes from, maybe asking for root privileges or the input of the shell command. I've even convert it to a stand alone app and execute it directly, but with the same results.

I have no coding experience at all, so I can't troubleshoot it, but I hope someone find this useful.

jakovsky

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
If your phone is rooted you can have it do wonders for you.

For example, with Nova launcher (paid version only i think but i might be wrong), you open options, go down totally and select advanced. Then under Screen lock you select root (must have root). After that under gestures you can have your screen soft lock just by double tapping anywhere, wich is very convenient.:cool:

vgergo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Try this app: Screen off no lock Marshmallow (no root)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....screenoff.ultra.quick.timeout&token=5eHJcLSs
Dimms then turns off the screen using the same method as if it got turned off automatically.
No Device Admin necessary.
No Root necessary.
Works with Always on displays too!
No more "Enter pin instead of using fingerprint recognition because of security policy" messages...
promo-1.png

Last edited:

Jaws4God

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings -> security and uncheck "power button instantly locks" Then set the "automatically lock" time to longer than 15 seconds. You can set it up to 30 minutes. You can turn off the screen but it will not prompt you for a PIN/pattern until after the interval has passed. If you wake up the phone and turn off the screen again the timer resets.

Thanks! This is what i was looking for! I use Xposed Framework ( Gravity Box KK ) to use "Double Tab Back Button Go To Sleep", but after setting the lock time to 30 mins, it would still request the pin each time I woke the phone.. but with the "Power Button Instantly Locks" Unchecked, now it will allow it to wake. Just need to check to make sure after 30 mins it will enable the PIN.