Is it possible to decline a system update on the Moto X?

r p3

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it

r p3

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading not so good things about it, and 4.2.2 seems to work great
You gota understand I have been with BB for the last 10yr. and I have seen some updates that have not been so good.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not a fan of 4.4. There are plenty of so called improvements that are not improvements at all. Everything works just fine but certain aspects of the UI no longer have that simple, no frills aspect that was the reason I wanted a Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am not a fan of 4.4. There are plenty of so called improvements that are not improvements at all. Everything works just fine but certain aspects of the UI no longer have that simple, no frills aspect that was the reason I wanted a Moto X.

Examples?

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
r p3-
Nuttn is perfect! Includes OS for phones, etc., coming from a Droid X, running Gingerbread up until I got the Moto X, with Jelly Bean and now KK, is light years better for me.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm curious what you don't like about KK.

Sent via the X!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are not widespread issues with KitKat. A vocal minority have a few things they don't like. There are no major bugs and there are a few nice improvements. You really should just update. As far as seeing threads about the negatives of the update: How many people are going to come onto a forum and start a thread to say, "I just updtated to KitKat and I didn't have any problems"? Not many, especially compated to the number of people who will post about the problems they had. Even though there are far more threads complaining about the update than praising it or saying it was no big deal, you should understand that people who don't like it or are having problems with it are an extreme minority of Moto X users.

Note, there has only been one person in this thread that didn't like the update, and that wasn't because it was buggy, but because "There are plenty of so called improvements that are not improvements at all. Everything works just fine but certain aspects of the UI no longer have that simple, no frills aspect that was the reason I wanted a Moto X." And, frankly, I can only think of two three (forgot about the dialer until I saw another thread about it) UI elements that changed in KitKat; Holo Blue clock/battery/signal/etc. is now white,an improved dialer and the menu bar and notification bar are translucent on the home screen. I'm not sure which of those ruined the UI of this posters phone, but I like both (though I have long complained I didn't like Holo Blue).

Last edited:

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of the dialer, is there a way to fix the way Android displays the callers photo? It's stretched and blurry.

This is the first stock Android (Almost) phone that I've had and have never had the problem before.

Sent via the X!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of the dialer, is there a way to fix the way Android displays the callers photo? It's stretched and blurry.

This is the first stock Android (Almost) phone that I've had and have never had the problem before.

Sent via the X!

Use a higher res photo for your contact? I'm not sure as I haven't really noticed this issue, but I also don't pay that close of attention to the picture when someone calls.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
4.4 runs great. I have seen no issues at all. I think people misinterpreted personal preference as issues with the OS. There are always some issues with any os but from what I have read it seems that it's just a few people that don't like change. That's my opinion though. I could be way off. :p

Sent from my Moto X

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Reasons for disliking 4.4:

1. Using white on the notification bar is just annoying and provides too much contrast for me.

2.When you hit the phone icon you go into recent calls and have to hit the dialer pad icon while there in order to dial a call. That is kind of crazy. You should be able to hit the phone icon and immediately be taken to the dial pad.

3.The whole white theme of the dialer is not as "friendly" on the eyes as the dark theme was.

All stuff that is easy to get used to and is really not a deal breaker but it certainly is not an improvement over 4.2. It's just more useless changes.
If you don't want to go with 4.4, don't. There are no real improvements. It works just as flawlessly as 4.2.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Reasons for disliking 4.4:

1. Using white on the notification bar is just annoying and provides too much contrast for me.

2.When you hit the phone icon you go into recent calls and have to hit the dialer pad icon while there in order to dial a call. That is kind of crazy. You should be able to hit the phone icon and immediately be taken to the dial pad.

3.The whole white theme of the dialer is not as "friendly" on the eyes as the dark theme was.

All stuff that is easy to get used to and is really not a deal breaker but it certainly is not an improvement over 4.2. It's just more useless changes.
If you don't want to go with 4.4, don't. There are no real improvements. It works just as flawlessly as 4.2.

To each their own I guess. Every point you made are all points I love about 4.4. That's what makes the world go round!

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting a screen pop up to update to kit Kat really don't want it is there anyway to get rid of the notification without downloading it
You may be out-of-luck. I had a moto Photon, and didn't want to accept the update to 2.4 from 2.3, because it permanantly locked the bootloader. It prompts me to perform the update about every 4 hours. I understand there's some way to turn that off if you root the phone, but I never got around to it -- at any rate, there was no easy way to say, "no, please stop bothering me."

......an improved dialer...
I've seen other people say this, but I find the new phone app slightly less convenient than the old one. In what way do you think it has improved?

Sent via the X!
I don't believe I have this problem. Have you tried re-booting?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma