Any reason NOT to buy a MotoX?

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
So, I recently got a MotoX for my wife, and from what I can see, it's downright good phone. The experience is smooth, lag free, and there are no extraneous interface "features" that get in your way or slow it down. I have a Galaxy S4, and I have to say that, from the small amount of time I've spent tinkering with the Moto, it runs better than the S4 in many ways. I'm now tempted to ditch my S4 and go for a Moto X. Can anyone think of a reason not to? I've laid out the pros/cons in my head, but am just trying to see if I'm missing anything in my analysis. Obviously, this is a rather subjective matter, so I understand that much of what people will say in response is going to be your perception or opinion, but I still want to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So, I recently got a MotoX for my wife, and from what I can see, it's downright good phone. The experience is smooth, lag free, and there are no extraneous interface "features" that get in your way or slow it down. I have a Galaxy S4, and I have to say that, from the small amount of time I've spent tinkering with the Moto, it runs better than the S4 in many ways. I'm now tempted to ditch my S4 and go for a Moto X. Can anyone think of a reason not to? I've laid out the pros/cons in my head, but am just trying to see if I'm missing anything in my analysis. Obviously, this is a rather subjective matter, so I understand that much of what people will say in response is going to be your perception or opinion, but I still want to hear it.

Thanks in advance,

Sean
I just finished ranting on my own thread about customer service. Aside from that, the reception is not as great as expected, the active display is not as hands-free as all that, the recent KitKat update messed up some people's phones and is not the big "wow" I expected, and yea...so that's my input so far. Sorry I can't be more help. :-\

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
No worries, just putting your own experience out there is a help. I get the customer service thing. Motorola has had problems before with that. I found wife's reception (in bars of signal) to be on par with my S4, so I wouldn't be losing anything there.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance,

Sean

You might see better reception than your Samsung. Motos tend to have better radios. Check this out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...as-guide-glimpse-into-ambassador-devices.html

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance,

Sean

see what others who moved from S4 to X has to say about it
http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/343798-thinking-swapping-my-gs4-moto-x.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/336981-has-anyone-switched-s4.html

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance,

Sean

I traded my s4 for the X and I can't believe it took me this long to trade phones! It runs a lot smoother than my s4 did. I also didn't utilize most of the features on the s4 so that didn't bother me. I love active notifications and touch less controls. I'm glad I made the switch.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why some are having trouble with customer service. They have been more than accommodating in my experience.

Posted via Android Central App

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why some are having trouble with customer service. They have been more than accommodating in my experience.

Because they can be courteous and say the right things, but if actions aren't taken or they don't follow up or do what they promise, then it's bad "service". If you haven't had to extensively deal with them, consider yourself lucky... :)

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The better camera, micro SD, removable battery and screen would be the main reasons to stick with the S4. If those aren't major concerns, then the Moto X would be a great choice.

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I just finished ranting on my own thread about customer service. Aside from that, the reception is not as great as expected, the active display is not as hands-free as all that, the recent KitKat update messed up some people's phones and is not the big "wow" I expected, and yea...so that's my input so far. Sorry I can't be more help. :-\

active display is not meant to be hands-free, exactly. It's meant so that you don't have to completely unlock your phone to see if there are notifications - it lights up only a small portion of the screen to show if there are notifications, and what type, so you can make the decision whether or not to unlock the screen to see them in full. In other words, if you're hoping for a text message and see that the notification is only for email, you can avoid wasting your time, or battery life, by unlocking the screen, and simply put the phone back into your pocket.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Got my wife a M.X for her first smart phone. I played around with it a lot and compared it to my HTC Rezound that was 1.3/4 years old. Now for its day the Rez was a really great phone with a fantastic camera and great radios. However it had it's little glitches and you had to switch it to airplane and back once in a while to free it up. I had the 2750 extended battery that made it a brick.

So after the third call to VZW they upper my contact date three months I ordered a M.X. So we are 2 x M.X!

Other than the camera it is a great phone. Very smooth and runs circles around the Rez on performance. Battery life is similar - that is all day or more. Wife does not use hers much and it goes 4-5 days without need to be charged. With a Cimo case it is just the right size for my hands(large) and not slippery. Love the active display, however it would be nice to have a sleep widget button.

Chris

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Active display is not meant to be handsfree

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I can think of not to get a Moto X is if you hate yourself and don't want an awesome phone

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
active display is not meant to be hands-free, exactly. It's meant so that you don't have to completely unlock your phone to see if there are notifications - it lights up only a small portion of the screen to show if there are notifications, and what type, so you can make the decision whether or not to unlock the screen to see them in full. In other words, if you're hoping for a text message and see that the notification is only for email, you can avoid wasting your time, or battery life, by unlocking the screen, and simply put the phone back into your pocket.
Yes, but basically...it tells me if there's an email or a call, but I have no idea from whom or what, so in order to figure it out, I have to put my finger on the active notification symbol and at least press/hold to see the subject. Might as well just unlock the screen at that point.

My point is, I expected more than what I got, based on others reviews and how they "can't live without it". It's a nice feature, but it's not amazing, IMO.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
it tells me if there's an email or a call, but I have no idea from whom or what, so in order to figure it out, I have to put my finger on the active notification symbol and at least press/hold to see the subject.

The point is that it tells you more information than a simple notification light would. Then you can dismiss the notification or open the app as necessary, and you don't have to turn on the entire screen to get that info, which helps with battery life.

If you expected more, well...that's your fault. That's not the fault of the phone.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
If you hold down on the pulsing icon you get more info about the notification ..its called peak view ..no other phone does that ..plus you never have to use power button to unlock your phone ..

Yes, but basically...it tells me if there's an email or a call, but I have no idea from whom or what, so in order to figure it out, I have to put my finger on the active notification symbol and at least press/hold to see the subject. Might as well just unlock the screen at that point.

My point is, I expected more than what I got, based on others reviews and how they "can't live without it". It's a nice feature, but it's not amazing, IMO.

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

You expected more than what the intent of the feature was. That's not really a fault with the phone. It's not intended to show all of the details, just the app that prompted the notification. It's then up to you to decide if it's worth your time to find out more information. It tells me a lot more than a colored blinking light ever did.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

My son has the S4 and loves it. I played around with it and couldn't find a single thing about it that stood out as a great user experience addition. It was just a bunch of...stuff. I think I even found an app that displays the kitchen sink they threw in there for good measure. Of course, the sink didn't actually provide me any benefit.

I'm curious, based on your obvious vitriol of the X, what you found so amazingly astonishing about the S4 that makes it such a better device.

I'd also love to hear a comparison of your experience with Samsung's customer service. The reason I ask about that is that Motorola has basically rebooted under Google's ownership and is coming back up as a new company. Under that guise, I fully well expect there to be some bumps and bruises and growing pains. But I've had the opportunity to talk to their people and they provided outstanding customer service to me. They seem to go out of their way to at least TRY to make things right, even when issues arise that are beyond their control.

That being said, as much as Best Buy may have provided good customer service to some others out there, they have been the major suck in my experience and I refuse to give them any of my consumer dollars ever again.

As a side note, I picked up another X during the cyber sale to use as the family backup/warranty phone and my son has expressed repeated interest in swapping to it and using the S4 as our backup phone. Go figure.

labs point

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Got my wife a M.X for her first smart phone. I played around with it a lot and compared it to my HTC Rezound that was 1.3/4 years old. Now for its day the Rez was a really great phone with a fantastic camera and great radios. However it had it's little glitches and you had to switch it to airplane and back once in a while to free it up. I had the 2750 extended battery that made it a brick.

So after the third call to VZW they upper my contact date three months I ordered a M.X. So we are 2 x M.X!

Other than the camera it is a great phone. Very smooth and runs circles around the Rez on performance. Battery life is similar - that is all day or more. Wife does not use hers much and it goes 4-5 days without need to be charged. With a Cimo case it is just the right size for my hands(large) and not slippery. Love the active display, however it would be nice to have a sleep widget button.

Chris

I moved from a Rezound to MX. Can't believe what a difference in this phone. I always was looking for the charger on my Rezound. With the x I don't even have to worry. Went to sleep the other night with 44% left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech