Launchers&Icons

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If I just want to change icons, do I still have to use an specific launcher, ie Nova launcher?

If I install Nova Launcher, can I mess up my phone? If I do not like it can I just remove the launcher and put it back to original?

Does the launcher with icon pack automatically change out your icons or do you have to do each one manually?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I just want to change icons, do I still have to use an specific launcher, ie Nova launcher?

If I install Nova Launcher, can I mess up my phone? If I do not like it can I just remove the launcher and put it back to original?

Does the launcher with icon pack automatically change out your icons or do you have to do each one manually?

I haven't really messed around with icon packs, but with Nova, there are some that are already installed. You simply change them in Settings, and yes, if you uninstall Nova, everything reverts back to stock.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
When you first install Nova or Apex, or Go, or any other launcher your homescreen set up will be gone (Though saved on the stock launcher). With Nova you just go Nova Settings > Look and Feel > icons. They will all change automatically, unless a app is not supported then you drag the app or long press to 'edit' click the icon, then you can change it.
When you want to switch launchers you can unistall if it has something in the drawer which is should, settings > apps > current launcher > clear defaults, and then push home. Or now with 4.4 you can go into your settings > home > then switch all you want easily.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

you dont mess up anything on your phone if you use any launcher. yes, if you dont like it uninstall and the current launcher will come back.
think of launcher as an app and you are setting it default. you can flip launcher from settings-->Home

you do have to do it manually but you can also replace icons for known app all at once (i think)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
should I buy the full version of Nova? opinions.

full version has so many features. if you like it buy it

here are the additional features of Nova prime from description

Drawer Groups:
Folders in App Drawer
Unlimited custom tabs
Organize apps into tabs and folders in the app drawer
Gestures
Quickly start Nova Actions or Apps from gestures on the desktop, such as pinching, swiping or two-finger swiping.
Hide Apps
Keep a clutter free drawer by hidding never used apps.
Dock Swipes
Get more use out of your dock apps by setting swipe-actions
Unread Counts
Never miss an email. Unread count badges for SMS, Missed calls and Gmail. Counts show in the dock, desktop, drawer and folders.
More Scroll Effects

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.twsitedapps.homemanager&token=e5zb2WaM

This is a great app for testing different launchers. You don't need to uninstall, this app lets you switch between your default and multiple 3rd party launchers.
When I first started experimenting I would get in a panic when my home screens would go away and thought I would need to spend hours restoring.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank got prime

I have it installed however I a problem clock icon not working

Posted via Android Central App

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

should I buy the full version of Nova? opinions.

In the launcher settings there is a setting for what launcher to make default. If you decide to go back to your regular launcher (which you won't but maybe to another launcher) you clear the default there. Then when you press your hone button, a launcher selection will come up and you can pick one. Just clear the old one from recent apps.

Launchers are great because they allow you to do a lot of things like add pages, make icons smaller, have multiple docks, change the icon grid size, resize widgets, overlap icons when adding them plus change the icons.

The icons changed and how well depend on the icon pack. Some are better than others at changing all and some you have to do manually. But once you do it manually if you change sets you will always have to do the manual ones (even if the new set would have done it) unless you reset all to default first.

Nova Launcher I've found uses the least resources. I really liked Apex but it was a much bigger resource consumer and now that I bought Prime, they have the same features. STAY AWAY FROM GO. Lots of resources and all the add ons use every permission possible and are always running in the background.

Enjoy playing with Nova. My favorite thing is gestures!

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
In the launcher settings there is a setting for what launcher to make default. If you decide to go back to your regular launcher (which you won't but maybe to another launcher) you clear the default there. Then when you press your hone button, a launcher selection will come up and you can pick one. Just clear the old one from recent apps.

Launchers are great because they allow you to do a lot of things like add pages, make icons smaller, have multiple docks, change the icon grid size, resize widgets, overlap icons when adding them plus change the icons.

The icons changed and how well depend on the icon pack. Some are better than others at changing all and some you have to do manually. But once you do it manually if you change sets you will always have to do the manual ones (even if the new set would have done it) unless you reset all to default first.

Nova Launcher I've found uses the least resources. I really liked Apex but it was a much bigger resource consumer and now that I bought Prime, they have the same features. STAY AWAY FROM GO. Lots of resources and all the add ons use every permission possible and are always running in the background.

Enjoy playing with Nova. My favorite thing is gestures!

Sent from my "no longer 120? or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

Good info. I'm a newbie to Android and was wondering about launchers myself. So, does Nova seem to be one of the more popular ones? At least it sounds like it's one that doesn't kill your battery (at least compared to some of the others out there).

Thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Good info. I'm a newbie to Android and was wondering about launchers myself. So, does Nova seem to be one of the more popular ones? At least it sounds like it's one that doesn't kill your battery (at least compared to some of the others out there).

Thanks

its popular and its the one close to stock Android's look and feel....

go launcher is very popular but its fancy.. Nova is popular with people who like vanilla Android

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

I was new a year ago. All those "show us your home page" threads with crazy icons and such - I thought could only be accomplished by rooting. Sometimes I forget what I get from being rooted vs my launcher vs android version upgrade but the majority of the good stuff is from the launcher. Being able to resize widgets and your grid is the next best thing to sliced bread!

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Good info. I'm a newbie to Android and was wondering about launchers myself.
Here is some additional info on neat things launchers can do:

*worth it for this alone: can remove the search bar from the top of each screen and decide which format to use for the one you keep, if any - transparent ICS, shaded JB or now shaded KK with new mic icon*

1. Change the number of dock pages, usually up to 5 and add unlimited home pages.
2. Allow you to hide apps in the app drawer like wallpapers, bloatware you don't use but can't remove, or icon packs once you start using them. You can usually organize in other ways as well with pro versions.
3. Set transitions for your pages and scrolling type. For instance, have 5 home pages and at the last one? Next one is back to home page 1.
4. Can change the app drawer to scroll horizontally.
5. Can make your icons smaller.
6. Can add 1x1 widgets to the dock.
7. Can change the shape and layout of folders.
8. Can change the page notification bar and decide if you want a divider between your icons and dock.
9. Can rename apps or shortcuts so "Grandma Smith cooking apple pie", or rather "Grandma Smith coo...", can become "Pie Video".

The list goes on but these, along with the ones listed earlier, are my favs and the ones I miss right after installing a new ROM but before restoring my launcher. Will add to list if I think of more. Oh, some people like notification numbers (like on iOS). I didn't activate that feature. And this might be a rooted feature, not a launcher, but ability to turn off notification bar and dock areas. I get confused sometimes between what did what change.

Hope this helps anyone considering a launcher.

Last edited:

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
This is the first Android phone I have ever had that leaves me no desire to install nova launcher after the first week. 2 months and still love the stock launcher.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon