New phone time! stuck between moto x and Lg G2.

Philippe Pessotti

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey there everyone! I have an upgrade available and was wondering which phone I should get. Please make any suggestions, but the two that I have my eyes on are the moto x and the lg g2. Also I'm on Verizon. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A vote for the X. I love this phone. Blows my old S3 out of the water in everything. My S3 was rooted, AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel and slightly overclocked.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey there everyone! I have an upgrade available and was wondering which phone I should get. Please make any suggestions, but the two that I have my eyes on are the moto x and the lg g2. Also I'm on Verizon. Thanks!

Did you post this question in the LG G2 thread? If not then I think the Moto X is the phone that you really want. I have a Moto X and it's a great device. It may not have the 1080p display but it works perfectly fine for me. It's fluid and it has useful features. Active Display is something that has never been done before by an OEM. I also like the touchless control as well. Not to mention MotoMaker. Can't do that with the G2. But it's your decision to make. Oh yeah, the Moto X also has KitKat as well. And that was on Verizon 1st. Who knew?!

sh0ebox

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
No reason to be stuck between those two. You know what type of responses you'll get from those of us on the moto x section of the forum :)

Get the moto x and you'll be happy you did. Great form factor, practically vanilla android, useful extra features (touchless control, active notifications, etc.), quickest updates of any non-nexus device (if recent events dictate future ones), superb performance despite what appear to be mediocre specs due to excellent optimization between software and hardware, good battery life, and the list goes on. Needless to say, I have and love my moto x (developer edition on VZW). I switched over from an iPhone and have zero regrets so far (other than a sub par camera experience, but moto is taking the right steps in trying to improve it as much as they can with software updates).

I can't comment much on the G2 but all I'll say is buttons on the back and LG's android skin are not everyone's cup of tea. Go to a store and play with both to see what you like and don't like about the hardware and software.

Posted from my Moto X

Philippe Pessotti

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
A vote for the X. I love this phone. Blows my old S3 out of the water in everything. My S3 was rooted, AOSP ROM, debloated, battery friendly kernel and slightly overclocked.
Nice i have an s3 right now. I'm Just used to a larger screen, that's why I'm stuck between these phones.

Did you post this question in the LG G2 thread? If not then I think the Moto X is the phone that you really want. I have a Moto X and it's a great device. It may not have the 1080p display but it works perfectly fine for me. It's fluid and it has useful features. Active Display is something that has never been done before by an OEM. I also like the touchless control as well. Not to mention MotoMaker. Can't do that with the G2. But it's your decision to make. Oh yeah, the Moto X also has KitKat as well. And that was on Verizon 1st. Who knew?!
well here is the thing. I love playing games on my phone, I hear that the G2 has top of the line specs which is awesome, but like you said the moto x apparently is like a nexus and gets updated very very quick.

adanick2

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Well I have a g2 so I think that's what you should get. Seriously though, like the above guy said, go try them out at the store and see which one YOU like better. Your not gonna get to many unbiased replies on a phone specific forum.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Philippe Pessotti

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I have a g2 so I think that's what you should get. Seriously though, like the above guy said, go try them out at the store and see which one YOU like better. Your not gonna get to many unbiased replies on a phone specific forum.
you're right. i'm going to the mall today and i'm going to try them both out. just wanted to get some opinions from people that already have the phone. I also made this thread on the G2 forum.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

S3 is 4.8 inches diagonally. Moto X is 4.7 inches. What you will be missing is useless bezel.
oh well if that's the case then one more reason to go for moto x.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Nice i have an s3 right now. I'm Just used to a larger screen, that's why I'm stuck between these phones.

well here is the thing. I love playing games on my phone, I hear that the G2 has top of the line specs which is awesome, but like you said the moto x apparently is like a nexus and gets updated very very quick.

If playing games are more important to you then getting updates then get the G2. If having your phone on the latest OS is most important then get the Moto X. With Moto being owned by Google they have Google people working on their phones so it's only going to get better from the software end of things. But the screen on the G2 is bigger and brighter than on the Moto X. You would have more room to play the games you want to play on the G2. This is something that is totally up to you. Weigh your options...I get the feeling that you won't be regretting your decision either way you go. I'll put it to you this way, I'd say try the G2 first for 14 days and if you don't like it return it within the return time frame and get the Moto X. The Moto X on contract price was reduced so you shouldn't have to pay any extra if you were to return it. You'd lose the restocking fee but it will still be enough to cover the Moto X. Just a suggestion...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The X does make wonderful use of the software with it's hardware. On paper, it doesn't look like much, but Moto proved that specs don't always mean everything.

Now, don't get me wrong, the G2 I have heard is a nice phone. But, yes, the best thing to do is to go in and handle them yourself.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
S3 is 4.8 inches diagonally. Moto X is 4.7 inches. What you will be missing is useless bezel.

The Moto X has soft buttons so available screen size under most circumstances will be reduced by more than 0.1". When it counts (photos, videos, games), the soft keys auto hide. If having max screen size all the time is important for you, the G2 would be better.

I'm coming from an S3 too and I seem to be one of the few that liked the physical home button. At first, I didn't like the X's soft keys but this thing is so quick and smooth the task switching soft button sees a ton of use. It is so much easier to use than long pressing the S3's home button.

Subjectively speaking, compared to my new Moto X, the G2 and my old S3 feel... cheesy and cheap. Build quality and software experience don't compare. Try then out for yourself and decide. Good luck!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The size, near AOSP interface (with added features that I actually use), and the awesome support Motorola has shown for the device is what makes me choose the Moto X over the G2 every time.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Just picked up the new white G2 for my wife on Verizon, and I have a Moto X. Each fits what we need perfectly. She's big on pix and the G2 has arguably the best camera out there. The X on the other hand has a camera that is just fine for me. Little things like that. Do a pros/cons and see what you come up with.

Last edited:

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up the new white G2 for my wife on Verizon, and I have a Moto X. Each fits what we need perfectly. She's big on pix anf the G2 has arguably the best camera out there. The X on the other hand has a camera that is juts fine for me. Little things like that. Do a pros/cons and see what you come up with.
Yeah, if camera is a big deal to you, get the G2.

rvandroid

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd chime in since I had the same dilemma a few months ago. I had the Galaxy Nexus and was up for an upgrade. I tried the G2 first because of the gorgeous 5 inch screen, top notch specs, and plentiful customization options. However, after a couple of weeks, there were a few things that really bugged me about it...

1. It was a PITA to adjust the volume when it was in a car dock since the buttons were at the back. It would've been tolerable if there was a volume slider in the notification shade but no such luck.

2. The Roboto font wasn't applied correctly. Only normal and bold is available, so apps that used Roboto Light and italic like the Play Store and DashClock didn't render correctly. Do a Google search for details. It could be fixed by rooting the phone but I didn't want to have to go that route.

3. With polarized sunglasses, the phone screen turns black when viewed in landscape. I was at a theme park and I had to remove my sunglasses when I took a picture. That got old real fast.

I'm sure that these issues aren't a big deal for most but it really kept me from really enjoying the G2. The Moto X, on the other hand, didn't have these issues and was everything that I wanted my Galaxy Nexus to be and more. My vote...

MOTO X!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I returned my moto x and went back to my gs3. Camera and exchange issues made it not worth the incremental cost to me. But I it looks like moto will be running these $150 off promos regularly so I'll pick one up once those two issues are fixed. Otherwise the phone is killer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Like others have suggested the best thing you can do is go use them both yourself.

If I were to buy a phone today it would be the G2

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums