Soft glass that scratches easily.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that their screen scratches really easily? I've had probably 3 or 4 Moto Xs before my current unit (hardware issues with early batch of devices) and I have noticed that the screen scratched on all of the other units that I had. This time I decided to keep a close eye on my phone to see when I noticed the first scratch. I just got my phone on Tuesday and I just noticed a grouping of about 6 small scratches on my screen. I take extremely good care of my phones. My phone is either in my pocket by itself, face up on my desk, or in my hand. I have not dropped it. I have never had a phone that scratches this easy. I clean my screen with a soft bath towel. I don't understand what could have scratched my screens so easily. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have not had to use a screen protector in the past because I have not used a phone with glass that scratches this easy but I feel like I almost have to with this phone now.

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I have a half inch scratch on mine already that I don't know where it came from. I had my droid Razr for 2 years without a single scratch.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Sand is the main culprit to scratched screens because it is harder than glass. Unfortunately, sand is a common element in the average pant pocket, and can scratch glass easily. My suggestion is to invest in a screen protector.

Posted via Android Central App

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I get that sand can be a problem. I just find it odd that I have had like 4 or 5 of these phones and all of them scratched, yet my Note II scratched once in the year that I had it from me dropping it between my seat and center console in my car. I literally have had this phone less than a week and it's already scratched pretty bad. It just seems like they kinda went cheap with the glass.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It could be the towel you're using to Clea the screen. I recommend using a microfiber cloth if you don't want to use a screen protector.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It could be the towel you're using to Clea the screen. I recommend using a microfiber cloth if you don't want to use a screen protector.

Well if the towel I'm using is what is causing the scratches, the glass they used is complete garbage haha. Supposedly the keys in my pocket shouldn't scratch a screen, but the soft bath towel I use will? Seems a little strange haha

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I get that sand can be a problem. I just find it odd that I have had like 4 or 5 of these phones and all of them scratched, yet my Note II scratched once in the year that I had it from me dropping it between my seat and center console in my car. I literally have had this phone less than a week and it's already scratched pretty bad. It just seems like they kinda went cheap with the glass.

My Note 2 screen scratched while being in its own pocket within a week. From that moment on I used screen protectors.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I carry my phone in my front pocket. All my other phones developed scratches, but after almost 3 months of use, my Moto X doesn't have a scratch.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Thats why i like a pouch. Use that sucker naked and not have to worry about scratches or clean pockets. I ordered a cheap neoprene one off ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I use screen protectors. Hopefully I can avoid your experiences.

I think people who don't like screen protectors would like the Brilliant clear protectors by power support on Motorola's website. They're thick and feel like running your fingers across glass more than any type I've tried before. They're pretty inconspicuous when you put them well aligned since they're cut just about to size.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I generally use screen protectors because I'm OCD about keeping my screen scratch free. I think everybody has different tolerant levels for scratches though. I've seen people say they've used their phone with no screen protector while working in construction for 3 years and their phone looks flawless. That's hard to believe but that person may have a higher level of tolerance for scratches. If getting a scratch on your screen will drive you nuts, then get a screen protector. If your cool with a few hairline scratches, I wouldn't worry about getting one.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My tolerance for anything but a brand new looking phone is nonexistent. My Note 2 had an almost invisible scratch on the screen and I had to sell it. It was no longer pure.

CM on OgPro

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Well if the towel I'm using is what is causing the scratches, the glass they used is complete garbage haha. Supposedly the keys in my pocket shouldn't scratch a screen, but the soft bath towel I use will? Seems a little strange haha

Sorry I wasnt clear, I was implying that a bath towel is likely to have get abrasive debris caught in it. Maybe your screen has some kind of defect? It sucks but it happens sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463