App for having a text read to you

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I used to have a Motorola Elite Flip bluetooth device and it worked with the My Motospeak app so that I could have texts read to me while driving. The newer Motorola bluetooths aren't compatible with the app.

Are there any other apps out there that will read your texts to you?

I don't understand why Motorola isn't making headsets that work with their app any more. I almost wonder if they are planning on having that be an update to touchless controls.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a Motorola Elite Flip bluetooth device and it worked with the My Motospeak app so that I could have texts read to me while driving. The newer Motorola bluetooths aren't compatible with the app.

Are there any other apps out there that will read your texts to you?

I don't understand why Motorola isn't making headsets that work with their app any more. I almost wonder if they are planning on having that be an update to touchless controls.

Wouldn't Assist work for this?

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to get it to read text to you without driving? Let's say I am cooking and my hands are greasy and I don't want to touch my phone.

I'd like to know this too let me know if you find out anything

Posted via Android Central App

slg1906

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a Motorola H19txt headset. It uses the My MotoSpeak app. It has a readout feature.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Motorola H19txt headset. It uses the My MotoSpeak app. It has a readout feature.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X
I had an elite flip that did the same but the newer moto headsets don't have the smartbutton and won't work with My Motospeak app.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know this too let me know if you find out anything
What we would need is a way to manually set Assist in driving mode even when we aren't driving. Then it would speak the text to us any time we manually set that we were driving. But since the phone is capable of this, they should just allow you to manually set you would like your texts spoken to you.

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If you guys are willing to install Tasker, I can help you create something that does this.

Or you can google something like "tasker read sms", I am sure you will find some tutorials with pictures.

mclaser

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to get it to read text to you without driving? Let's say I am cooking and my hands are greasy and I don't want to touch my phone.

I didn't realize this but if you use Pocket it uses the builtin TTS to speak content through your BT headset. Just verified it worked with my Motorola HX550. One of the best headsets IMO. 9 hr talk time!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I didn't realize this but if you use Pocket it uses the builtin TTS to speak content through your BT headset.
but will it speak a text as it comes in?

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys are willing to install Tasker, I can help you create something that does this.

Or you can google something like "tasker read sms", I am sure you will find some tutorials with pictures.
Thanks, do you need root? I am planning on unlocking and rooting next week after christmas.

NoAck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use SpeakMe Pro to speak my notifications. So any app that generates notifications can have it spoken. I use it for email and text messages. Just need to remember to turn it off at work. There's also a free version.

chiefandrews

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Utter! does this nicely. I had it installed on my Nexus 4 while waiting for my Moto. You say something like "read my last text message" and it does it. Another thing it does I WISH Moto Assist did was read your outgoing text message. Assist says "here is your text message do you want to send it." How do I know if it got every word correct? I have to look at the screen. Utter! will take your verbally composed text and say do you want to proof it? If you say no, it immediately sends it. If you say yes, it reads it back to you. Then it says send it? Motorola needs to implement this feature.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a program called Hands Free SMS from RDMSoft. I ended up turning off Motorola Assist completely because it would not play messages when I was hooked to Bluetooth. Its not the cheapest program at $4.99 but it works well with both the Bluetooth Alpine in my truck and the UVI system in my car. Sending replies is brainless and it's very accurate even in a loud big truck. There are settings for pretty much any situation and you can use it even when your not driving. There is s free version but apparently it pops up a nag screen to upgrade causing people problems. You cannot initiate a new text thread with it, only reply but if you need to do that OK Google Now can do it instead. It all works pretty seamlessly for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463