Moto X bluetooth Apt X? vs Nexus 5 sound quality...

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Despite having a nexus 5, I fell victim to the lure of a sale so I opted to pick up a moto x with the $150 off

Mainly because I wanted to try the extra google now commands and the touchless control

I think touchless control is interesting....but not as blown away as I would have liked.

The screen is good--more vivid colors than the nexus 5, although in terms of size/sharpness the nexus 5 is better of course.. Just different resolution and different tech. Although both have their good points. Moto x has a good size screen in a tiny form factor, nexus 5 more of a big slab.

I was most surprised that using my LG LBS bluetooth headphones, I think....the audio is much more crisp and impressive than the same headphones on the nexus 5

I checked and while several motorola phones do have aptx, I don't see any evidence that the moto x does have it...

Any one have any thoughts on that or the audio quality on the moto x?

I'm torn between sticking with the moto x vs the nexus 5. Both have upsides and downsides. To be honest, even with the 4.4.2 update I find the nexus 5 to still have some quirks which I find annoying. Even with the 4.4.2 update the bluetooth on my phone acts up--I turn it off and it won't turn back on without a reboot and little things--I might check with google on a replacement...

That being said, thanks to the moto x being on 4.4, the volume control still doesn't fully work with the LG HBS 730 bluetooth headphones. At least that was fixed on the nexus 5! although maybe at the expense of sound quality.

I also used a galaxy s4. Man, in terms of user experience I think the moto x crushes the s4. The only thing missing? Expandable memory. But very impressed with the overall moto x package--its not a spec monster like the s4...just an overall good phone without a crazy touchwiz skin.

I might just keep the moto x since its a good backup.....sigh...

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Despite having a nexus 5, I fell victim to the lure of a sale so I opted to pick up a moto x with the $150 off

Mainly because I wanted to try the extra google now commands and the touchless control

I think touchless control is interesting....but not as blown away as I would have liked.

The screen is good--more vivid colors than the nexus 5, although in terms of size/sharpness the nexus 5 is better of course.. Just different resolution and different tech. Although both have their good points. Moto x has a good size screen in a tiny form factor, nexus 5 more of a big slab.

I was most surprised that using my LG LBS bluetooth headphones, I think....the audio is much more crisp and impressive than the same headphones on the nexus 5

I checked and while several motorola phones do have aptx, I don't see any evidence that the moto x does have it...

Any one have any thoughts on that or the audio quality on the moto x?

I'm torn between sticking with the moto x vs the nexus 5. Both have upsides and downsides. To be honest, even with the 4.4.2 update I find the nexus 5 to still have some quirks which I find annoying. Even with the 4.4.2 update the bluetooth on my phone acts up--I turn it off and it won't turn back on without a reboot and little things--I might check with google on a replacement...

That being said, thanks to the moto x being on 4.4, the volume control still doesn't fully work with the LG HBS 730 bluetooth headphones. At least that was fixed on the nexus 5! although maybe at the expense of sound quality.

I also used a galaxy s4. Man, in terms of user experience I think the moto x crushes the s4. The only thing missing? Expandable memory. But very impressed with the overall moto x package--its not a spec monster like the s4...just an overall good phone without a crazy touchwiz skin.

I might just keep the moto x since its a good backup.....sigh...

I have the same problem. The Moto X or Nexus 5 is an expensive backup! I don't really need two fairly similar phones. I agree that the lure of the unique features made me cave in to try out the phone. The touchless controls, while great, may not as useful for me as with other people. For example, using voice control to set alarms. My work day is very regular, and the time I wake up is generally the same. While driving, my car has built-in bluetooth with some voice activated features to call someone. Even that, I rarely use it because I don't talk much while driving (maybe because I don't have a lot of friends because I'm stuck in forums like this, hehe). Personally, I like the screen colors on the X better than the 5. Anyways, didn't mean to go off track of your question. I'll have to try out the audio.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
After playing with the moto x for nearly a week--Its a nice phone. But the always listening google now and touchless control just hasn't been as good or as accurate as I would like. I can get nearly the same functionality on the nexus 5 with just unlocking the screen....and it is faster...so I think I will go back to nexus 5 .

Just gonna return moto x while I still can--if I need a #$#$ backup I'll get moto g--basically same phone but half the cost without the extra touchless command stuff....

and WHY A NANO SIM!!!! Android people love to go between phones, if the htc one x, s4, samsung note 3 and the nexus 5 are all micro-sims, WHY did you make this a nano sim! Damn sim tray in nexus 5 just got stuck on the adapter..need to go back to tmobile and get a micro sim again!

EVEN THE MOTO G has a MICRO SIM!
sigh..

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Upon further listening, I can't tell that big of a difference in terms of audio quality. Except on 4.4.2 the nexus 5 has correct volume control on my LG hbs 730 bluetooth headset. Moto x, once upgraded to 4.4 lost proper volume control.

I guess also Moto x does not have apt x. At least its not listed anywhere I can find.

Moto x is back to moto this am. Nice phone, but I'd rather get the money back for something else, maybe nexus 10. Or finally try the galaxy note perhaps.

IBM Kid

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
According to this post on reddit it might have aptx and just not be listed on the official site.
http://w3.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/1rmb13/aptx_support/

I am trying to decide between them as well but I currently have neither. I was planning on getting the moto x with a $150 off code tomorrow but I am still not sure.
I have the same headphones as you and I was wondering if on the nexus 5 and moto x there was any perceptible audio lag when watching videos on Netflix or YouTube. That might end up being the deciding factor between them for me because currently with my galaxy note 2 I use my Bluetooth headphones for everything and it has wonderful audio quality.

Also I would really like to be able to use touchless controls with the wireless headphones since google now by default does not pickup audio from the bluetooth mic. Could you tell me how well that works?

Posted via Android Central App

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was told on the Moto forums that it does support AptX. I upgraded to a Kinevo 450 Bluetooth device for my car and the audio quality is awesome!

I had a Belkin before and couldn't listen to music as the quality was so poor. Much better with a device that supports AptX.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I think I only tried touchless control with bluetooth mic once and I dont think it helped much--but it was hardly an extensive enough evaluation.

I guess I would say--I dont know--I would ask around.

I would ask around about touchless control and look on the forums for related posts on that subject--it is the one major feature that makes moto x unique-but sadly I never found it that great and I had to repeat my "OK GOOGLE NOW" often to get it to respond.

and from a google now screen, the nexus 5 was faster in responding after the OK Google NOW activation phrase than the moto x.

Why not the Galaxy note 3? Thats the phone I'm sort of waiting on for my next upgrade...although it will be a bit dated by then...

IBM Kid

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I only tried touchless control with bluetooth mic once and I dont think it helped much--but it was hardly an extensive enough evaluation.

I guess I would say--I dont know--I would ask around.

I would ask around about touchless control and look on the forums for related posts on that subject--it is the one major feature that makes moto x unique-but sadly I never found it that great and I had to repeat my "OK GOOGLE NOW" often to get it to respond.

and from a google now screen, the nexus 5 was faster in responding after the OK Google NOW activation phrase than the moto x.

Why not the Galaxy note 3? Thats the phone I'm sort of waiting on for my next upgrade...although it will be a bit dated by then...

Thanks for your reply. I am really not considering the note 3 though because I currently have a note 2 and I think it was a mistake to get it over the nexus 4. I liked it at first but after a while the excitement over the spen wore off and the large screen and touchwiz just became too much of an annoyance to me. I ended up putting Paranoid Android rom on it and now I just want something with close to stock android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay