Moto X (1st gen): Won't Power On

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Haven't dropped it. No water damage. Just went off today in my pocket when I had half a charge and hasn't come back on. Hooking it up to the charger does nothing. Anything else to try or will I just be going back to Sprint tomorrow for a replacement? It was acting a little weird since the 4.4 update..

Also, I have my old phone. Does it cost anything to activate it to use it in the mean while?

Thanks

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X Won't Power On

About 20 minutes or so.. no indicator on screen of charging. It's a paperweight right now.

*EDIT*

Straight from moto site:

Press and hold the Power button for 7 - 10 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence.

For anyone that runs into the same problem in the future.. def takes a good 10 seconds. Mine is back on now thank the stars

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

About 20 minutes or so.. no indicator on screen of charging. It's a paperweight right now.

*EDIT*

Straight from moto site:

Press and hold the Power button for 7 - 10 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence.

For anyone that runs into the same problem in the future.. def takes a good 10 seconds. Mine is back on now thank the stars

My bad, I assumed you had tried that. In the past, my devices that have completely drained batteries took several, several minutes on a charger to turn back on.

Glad you got it up and running!

Posted via Android Central App

robnett

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

My phone has shut down like this several times when it has a good charge. Any suggestions as to why this happens? I have cleared cache per direction from Motorola.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Has this issue. Wouldn't power on after battery drained and was charged for an hour +. Then finally powered on but would not boot correctly... Kept stopping at the Verizon screen. Did a few cache clears and factory resets and wouldn't fix it. Verizon and Motorola sent me a brand new one. Funny thing... Decided to test it again before sending it back and it turned on fine.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Has this issue. Wouldn't power on after battery drained and was charged for an hour +. Then finally powered on but would not boot correctly... Kept stopping at the Verizon screen. Did a few cache clears and factory resets and wouldn't fix it. Verizon and Motorola sent me a brand new one. Funny thing... Decided to test it again before sending it back and it turned on fine.

Ha. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I just had a similar issue. My wife's Moto X battery died, and it would not take a charge or come back on. I tried different wall chargers and different cables and even left it plugged in over night. None of that worked. Finally we plugged it into our laptop and it started charging.

To me this seems like a bug in Motorola's battery protection system.

Beth Martin

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

So glad I found this thread. My Moto X also wouldn't charge with the wall plug and wouldn't turn on. Plugging it into my laptop worked. Looks like it's charging now, and it's booting up!

Husain Ghadiyali

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

Tried all of d above methods but none of them working:(
1.charged with stock charger for hours
2.connected with my laptop n tried
3.went in recovery mode to reset
but still no progress...
Plz help

Pierce09

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Same thing happened to me. Just wouldn't turn on. It would get to the Verizon splash screen then go black again and never boot. Verizon sent me a new Moto X but I didn't test it again right before I sent it back. It was a strange issue I must say.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I had this same issue again last night. Accidentally let the Moto X completely die and it wouldn't come back on. I couldn't find the stock charger, but I have a 1A car charger. I left it on that for a while and it eventually came back to life.

I seems to me that if you let the battery completely die, then you need a 1A or greater charger to get it back and even then it can take a while.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I had this same issue again last night. Accidentally let the Moto X completely die and it wouldn't come back on. I couldn't find the stock charger, but I have a 1A car charger. I left it on that for a while and it eventually came back to life.

I seems to me that if you let the battery completely die, then you need a 1A or greater charger to get it back and even then it can take a while.

If you let a Lithium battery on any well-designed device drop to below its defined minimum safe voltage (which usually has a healthy margin over the actual minimum safe voltage of the cells), it'll wait until it has a decent amount of charge before starting back up. That's because, at startup, there is always a discharge of battery even when it's hooked up to a charger, and the battery management system isn't generally running when the device is starting up.

The best bet with a device that powered itself off due to low charge is to hook the device, powered off, up to the highest-amperage charger you have available, then go out for a nice dinner and give it some quality time on the charger.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

If you let a Lithium battery on any well-designed device drop to below its defined minimum safe voltage (which usually has a healthy margin over the actual minimum safe voltage of the cells), it'll wait until it has a decent amount of charge before starting back up. That's because, at startup, there is always a discharge of battery even when it's hooked up to a charger, and the battery management system isn't generally running when the device is starting up.

The best bet with a device that powered itself off due to low charge is to hook the device, powered off, up to the highest-amperage charger you have available, then go out for a nice dinner and give it some quality time on the charger.
Understood, but there is a particular problem with the Moto X. When the phone shuts off due to a "dead" battery you could leave it on the charger overnight and it still show 0% the next day.

It seems that there's a bug in the battery management software. It either let's the battery drain too low to where it physically has trouble taking a charge, or the software prevents charging after a "full" discharge.

Note: I put dead and full in quotes because as you know, the battery management software should never let a lithium ion battery completely drain because that will damage the battery.

meenakshi sinha1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

i also suffered from this problem and its only 1 and half month but motrola is not giving replacement instead they are changing my hardware. Haven't dropped it. No water damage. Just went off today in my bag when I had half a charge and hasn't come back on. Hooking it up to the charger does nothing. Anything else to try or will I just be going back to Sprint tomorrow for a replacement? It was acting a little weird since the 4.4 update..

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Hey, here is some info on the LED light. It comes on when the power is so drained the phone basically needs more time to charge. So it might be one more clue as to when there is a power or recharge issue. Green LED means the battery is at a bare bones charge etc.

theMadHacker

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Fast Boot Menu

The same thing happened to my daughter's phone.

I pushed and held both buttons on the right hand side of the phone, and slowly counted to like 15 or 20. One thousand one... One thousand two.. Etc. Then I let go of the bottom button, and then the top button. (Not sure if that makes a difference or not). When I did that... a "Fast Boot" menu appeared on the screen.

Sort of similar to a computer BIOS boot screen. From that screen there were several boot options, but more importantly, it also displayed a LOW BATTERY message. The battery was too low to show the normal screen, but was still able to display this "Fast Boot" menu. From there, I was able to determine the problem was a loose battery charger.

Hope that helps!