Moto X WiFi - slow performance

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
After doing dozens of Speedtest.net runs, it appears my Moto X is significantly slower when it comes to download speed via my home WiFi when compared to my Nexus 7 or retired S3. My N7 and S3 come pretty close to matching the speed of my GbE-connected desktop. My Moto X is consistently slower than the N7 and S3. The difference varies between 20-50% and even taking into account expected deviations in a multi-hop WAN test, I've NEVER seen my Moto X post a quicker data rate than any of my other devices in back-to-back individual tests.

I've tried the following to no avail:

• reboot every component in the signal chain - endpoint device, router, cable modem. No improvement
  • change the WiFi control channel. I tried a few other channel numbers. No improvement
  • connected my MX to 5GHz WiFi network. The other devices are not 5GHz capable. No improvement
  • toggled the advanced option "Wi-Fi optimization" on the MX. No improvement

It's not a show-stopping problem and fortunately, 4G reception/performance is comparable to my S3, which was great. I'm just the sort of OCD guy that is interested in getting the most out the gadgets I use on a daily basis.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Any chance your router has some weird QOS settings?

Posted via Android Central App

It likely does, but I've never done anything to modify or tweak any default policies that may be in place. It's an Asus RT-AC66U. I'll dig around in the router admin tool and see what I can find.

I don't suspect QoS is the culprit but only because I saw the same throttled MX behavior when we were out of town over the holidays and we were using a family member's WiFi network with totally different hardware.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Mine does great on WiFi.
zuzebuje.jpg
yrunagen.jpg

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I always get slower speeds on phones and tablets. Even with QoS turned off.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I do as well. I have 30 meg Internet at home. My laptop will get it all and my MX will get around 22 or so. It's not really a concern to me. I figure my laptop is stronger than my phone at any given distance anyway? Maybe, maybe not. I will say there is a night and day difference in the radio department between this thing and my Galaxy Nexus.

I'm no expert, but I suspect a phone is much more sensitive to interference than a PC. I've got a ton of wireless networks around me, so I've always figured the difference made sense. Mine does perform better on my 5mhz channel. I can't remember specifics, but it's not by all that much.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice speeds. It nowhere near that. On a good day, I get about 14-15 Mbps on all devices except my Moto X which might clock in around 10-11 Mbps. In finding my X usually clocks in in the 9s.

Do you have any other devices to compare to your X?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Also notable, my Surface RT is slower than my laptop as well and it has a really solid WiFi radio

djjsin

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Funny, at first glance I would have swore I posted this...cause I've been wrestling with the exact same problem.

I got a multinode setup with 2 Asus rt-ac66u, and I notice slower speeds on my moto x vs my nexus 7 or lenovo laptop. I got a very fast FiOS connection. 75/35. speed tests on my nexus and laptop both top out usually in the 80 - 83mb range which is obviously maxing out the internet connection. Moto x, even though its connected via AC and shows 433mbps link in the properties, will test in between 30 - 60mbps range. Significantly less then the other devices, not maxing out the speed even though technically the wifi should have more bandwidth cause its AC. The other devices are only N. I'm in the same room as the access point. Same position as other devices. I have a third Asus rt ac66u that I use as an AC bridge. I can plug a laptop in there and speed test to 80+Mbps.....my friends with iphones connect and do a speedtest and get 80+mbps down.....seems as though its something with the moto x.

Plus since we got similar setups, I'll through out another issue I have. I feel every time the moto x jumps from one AC to another, the bandwidth drops from 80mhz to 20mhz and gets locked at that speed. Same issue with the nexus 7, but not the laptop. I'll be connected at 433 link, but when it switches to a different access point, it then won't go past 86 unless I turn the WiFi on the moto x off and on.

Last edited:

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Funny, at first glance I would have swore I posted this...cause I've been wrestling with the exact same problem.

I got a multinode setup with 2 Asus rt-ac66u, and I notice slower speeds on my moto x vs my nexus 7 or lenovo laptop. I got a very fast FiOS connection. 75/35. speed tests on my nexus and laptop both top out usually in the 80 - 83mb range which is obviously maxing out the internet connection. Moto x, even though its connected via AC and shows 433mbps link in the properties, will test in between 30 - 60mbps range. Significantly less then the other devices, not maxing out the speed even though technically the wifi should have more bandwidth cause its AC. The other devices are only N. I'm in the same room as the access point. Same position as other devices. I have a third Asus rt ac66u that I use as an AC bridge. I can plug a laptop in there and speed test to 80+Mbps.....my friends with iphones connect and do a speedtest and get 80+mbps down.....seems as though its something with the moto x.

Plus since we got similar setups, I'll through out another issue I have. I feel every time the moto x jumps from one AC to another, the bandwidth drops from 80mhz to 20mhz and gets locked at that speed. Same issue with the nexus 7, but not the laptop. I'll be connected at 433 link, but when it switches to a different access point, it then won't go past 86 unless I turn the WiFi on the moto x off and on.

Thanks for the extra data points and also confirmation that it's not just me. Perhaps this is an issue with the MX and the RT-AC66U? A guess, but doubtful since I also saw the same behavior over the holidays while connected to a router of unknown make (but I'm pretty sure it wasn't an RT-AC66U).

At this point I'm wondering if these devices are defective or we're if seeing a configuration or software issue that can be resolved with a change or patch.

djjsin

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I personally think its software issue with the moto x. I feel like I got better WiFi performance before.

Its definitely not a router issue. I've used four different rt-ac66u's in my configuration and it happens in all of them. Plus I got multiple family members with moto x's and I've tested it with them all...its not a defective devices.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I personally think its software issue with the moto x. I feel like I got better WiFi performance before.

Its definitely not a router issue. I've used four different rt-ac66u's in my configuration and it happens in all of them. Plus I got multiple family members with moto x's and I've tested it with them all...its not a defective devices.

Just to clarify - you got the same results with multiple Moto Xs? Unfortunately, I've only had this X a couple of weeks and didn't get time to notice what speeds were like before 4.4.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I just did some testing between my Moto X and my laptop. I will say this, check your channels. I have a dual router. Unfortunately, my laptop does not do 5MHz and I'm too beat to fire up the desktop. It doesn't seem necessary. So, on my 2.5MHz connection on channel 6, my Moto X was pulling 5 Mbps down. Then I swapped it to channel 11 and it dropped even slower. So then I swapped it to channel 1 (which is pretty open around here) and it took a bump up to almost 7 Mbps. I tested my laptop and it pulled 9 Mbps. So, a difference, but not by much. Then I swapped the Moto X over to my 5MHz AP and tested on channel 36. It pulled 11.21 down. Going for gold, I swapped over to channel 161 and it pulled 15.72 down. Channel 48 pulled 10.06 down.

I am the only 5MHz network to speak of, and my Moto X was the only device currently on the AP. I will say that my ISP is either unusually slow tonight or the server I normally test on is acting up based on ping time, but my tests were consistent and I tested multiple times. I tested from the same spot which is about 10 feet from my router. Needless to say, it leads me to believe that this thing potentially enjoys some channels over others for seemingly no reason.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
So, I just did some testing between my Moto X and my laptop. I will say this, check your channels. <...snip...>

Thanks KWKSLVR. I'll give this a shot sometime tomorrow after the Winter Classic.

Network problems are no fun, especially when we only have a toolkit that's the equivalent of a butterknife for a screwdriver and a shoe for a hammer.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks KWKSLVR. I'll give this a shot sometime tomorrow after the Winter Classic.

Network problems are no fun, especially when we only have a toolkit that's the equivalent of a butterknife for a screwdriver and a shoe for a hammer.

You're welcome. I hope a simple channel swap will help. Not sure how your router is, but if it doesn't show other AP's around you, Windows has some good desktop widgets available that you can use to see which channels around you are being utilized. Mine was on auto and was retarded in it's channel selection. :p

ludusmaximus

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
So maybe a little late to this thread, but I have noticed poor wifi speeds on my Moto X (Verizon, 4.4.1 no root)

I pay for 18Mbps download through U-Verse
Currently my Samsung Chromebook is testing at 18-20Mbps.
My 2013 Nexus 7 is testing at about 2 Mbps download
My Moto X is testing at about 1-2 Mbps.

Any ideas?

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Maybe try turning off Wi-Fi optimization in settings. It optimizes for battery life, not performance.
This netted me an additional 6Mbps (up to 32Mbps), but my son's iPhone5 on iOS 7 gets almost double that when they are tested in the same room. I have the Bright House 60Mbps Lightning Package, I'd like my Moto X (on Kitkat) to take better advantage of that like my boy's iPhone does. Anything else for me to try?