Roll Call for Verizon GNex Owners - How Many of Us Chose the Moto X?

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using my Gnex, so is my wife. We got Seidio batteries to cope with the power problem. Otherwise, our originals are working well. I'm pretty patient, and don't mind waiting if the payoff is worth it, so I bought a lightly used Gnex as a "just in case" backup, and I'm settling in for awhile. I also have unlimited, which I'll need for several years in my job, so I'm being patient. The MotoX is making my fingers itchy, I love where Moto and Google are going with this. But I may be rocking the Gnex another year or so, to see what the next iteration of this platform will be. I'm betting it will add icing to the X cake.

Damn, I really want one now...

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro (Walmart Blue Light Special)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using my Gnex, so is my wife. We got Seidio batteries to cope with the power problem. Otherwise, our originals are working well. I'm pretty patient, and don't mind waiting if the payoff is worth it, so I bought a lightly used Gnex as a "just in case" backup, and I'm settling in for awhile. I also have unlimited, which I'll need for several years in my job, so I'm being patient. The MotoX is making my fingers itchy, I love where Moto and Google are going with this. But I may be rocking the Gnex another year or so, to see what the next iteration of this platform will be. I'm betting it will add icing to the X cake.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro (Walmart Blue Light Special)

I thought I was going to be clever and use both my Moto X and GNex... the GNex gets looked at about once a week.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am sure with the recent promos and the price drop, the price of used Moto X's will drop too and If you sell your GNex and its backup, you may be able to get a used Moto X for under $200 after you sell the GNexi. Lots of the used ones are in mint condition.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
If not for the $150 promo, I'd still be on the GNex, buying an extra battery or two, and cursing Verizon for not carrying the N5.

I regret - to an extent - not getting one of the DevEds, despite the ugly appearance, and sometimes wish I hadn't updated to KitKat. Too bad the SIM cards aren't swappable between the GNex and the X.

Still I'm much happier than I would have been.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
If not for the $150 promo, I'd still be on the GNex, buying an extra battery or two, and cursing Verizon for not carrying the N5.

I regret - to an extent - not getting one of the DevEds, despite the ugly appearance, and sometimes wish I hadn't updated to KitKat. Too bad the SIM cards aren't swappable between the GNex and the X.

Still I'm much happier than I would have been.

Good to know - thanks. I was ready to switch to TMO and buy a N5, but the ability to keep Verizon coverage with unlimited data is a big deal to me. I own a Nexus 7 tablet, and love the clean android without all the carrier added crap on it, so the MOTO X is the closest I can come and still keep VZW with unlimited. Luckily the X price drop came before I made the switch to TMO.

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence over the Maxx vs. X. I checked the Motorola site and can't get a good answer for this...but does the Maxx come with a wireless charger? I know it has the capabilities but I'm not clear if the wireless charger comes with it.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I am sure with the recent promos and the price drop, the price of used Moto X's will drop too and If you sell your GNex and its backup, you may be able to get a used Moto X for under $200 after you sell the GNexi. Lots of the used ones are in mint condition.

I can afford it now, but believe it or not, I'm very satisfied with my GNex. It does everything I need done well. With that in mind, I can also afford to wait for technology/price to come to my advantage.

It's just that like most people, I really want the new, cool stuff right now. But I'm personally much happier when I'm able to discipline my impulsive nature.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence over the Maxx vs. X. I checked the Motorola site and can't get a good answer for this...but does the Maxx come with a wireless charger? I know it has the capabilities but I'm not clear if the wireless charger comes with it.

It does not have one in the box, no. It comes with a micro-usb to USB cable and AC wall charger.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I can afford it now, but believe it or not, I'm very satisfied with my GNex. It does everything I need done well.
I wish I lived somewhere with a strong signal. My experience with my GNex would have been so much better. I think I went through 5 total - 2 new and 3 CLNR - all with the same signal issues. I am certain it was a hardware problem with either the antenna or the 4G LTE radio. It was great where the signal was strong, but not where it was marginal.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Wait - the Moto X can do wireless charging?!?!?!?!?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wish I lived somewhere with a strong signal. My experience with my GNex would have been so much better. I think I went through 5 total - 2 new and 3 CLNR - all with the same signal issues. I am certain it was a hardware problem with either the antenna or the 4G LTE radio. It was great where the signal was strong, but not where it was marginal.

Was the signal actually bad or just the display of the signal? I don't know if it's a problem on recent Sammy phones, but the SII, GNex and SIII era devices all had issues with not displaying their actual signal strength in the status area.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait - the Moto X can do wireless charging?!?!?!?!?

No. The Maxx can.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Was the signal actually bad or just the display of the signal? I don't know if it's a problem on recent Sammy phones, but the SII, GNex and SIII era devices all had issues with not displaying their actual signal strength in the status area.
signal is bad - I am in a known trouble area. I called so many times they sent technicians out to measure the signal and gave me a free network extender and ultimately offered to let me out of my contract.

No. The Maxx can.
So much for my reading comprehensio!. I went back and reread his post, don't know how I got mixed up.

psususe

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I could not get out of the GNex fast enough. Terrible battery (even with extended battery), terrible signal, terrible time texting grp texts. Loving the Moto X!

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I loved my gnex the first year + but since 4.2 it went down hill fast. Bay life was horrible even with extended battery. Wild freeze up often, bruising Web was slow etc. Even after resets. I went with Moto X with work around to keep my unlimited and loving it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Still loving my GNex though I sometimes have to use an external battery. My next phone will be the Moto X when my contract is up.

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the band that jumped from the Gnex to the Moto X thanks to the CyberMond...Wednesday promotion. My Gnex rebooted on my at least once a day since getting 4.2 and I was rather jaded about the way Verizon and Google pretty much abandoned the Gnex - it was never really a Nexus device as promised. That's also why I went for the X rather than one of the Droids - I think Motorola will support the X better after the Verizon exclusive droids have been forgotten.

I don't use but a few gigs of data a month myself, but converting our three unlimited lines to a family share would raise my bill by at least $60/month - so, even paying the "full" $349 price, that $60/month I save by staying off of family share will pay for the difference over a subsidized phone in a few months. It's a no brainer for me.

And, there's something just right about the X - the form factor fits so comfortably in the hand, the screen is beautiful, and Motorolas enhancements to Android just work and are actually useful. With Samsung, their stuff feels like a bunch of gee-whiz stuff that I'd use once to show off. The Moto X feels like it has really done something to move smart phones forward.