Free Texting

Soccerboy496

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys! First post here, and I got a question! The question I have, the amount of minutes I have won't be a problem, the data won't be a problem, but the texting limit may be a problem. Is there an app that allows free texting? I know there are many, but I would like one that when I text from it, it shows my cell number, not some other random number like text+. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
You can download something like Whatsapp, Viber, or Blackberry Messenger (BBM). They're messaging apps that use data instead of SMS, so you'll be able to send unlimited messages as long as you're connected to a mobile network or Wi-Fi. The downside is that you can only message other people with the app installed, so you'd have to convince your contacts to download the app on their phones as well.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to download anything new. Just use Hangouts for instant messages and not SMS. But, as with other apps like WhatsApp, Viber, and BBM, the people you are texting have to have Hangouts installed.

manhattan123

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe you get unlimited free texting with Google Voice and the other party doesn't have to download any new software or app, the text arrives in their normal text program. The only issue is the number that shows up on their phone wont be your normal cell phone number but one assigned by GV, but if you let them know it's you they can just add it to your contact info on their phones. You can also send GV texts from your computer.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
But a word of caution, GV doesn't allow MMS messages so those will need to be emailed, and GV only works for US users.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't know of anything that will circumvent your texting limit and still show your current cell number as the sender. Long term, Google Voice is probably the best choice for transparency and interoperability; you'll have to advise people of your new number this one time, but people can call or text that number and reach you, and texts/calls from you will appear to be from that number as well.

In fact, if you're not under contract, or are willing to break your contact, you can do all this without anyone else being aware of it, by porting your current cell number to Google Voice and getting a new number for your cell phone. I did this about 18 months ago and never told any of my contacts. I've had 3 different cell phones and 3 different cell numbers since then, and it's been completely transparent to everyone.

I was recently testing the Moto X and Nexus 5 concurrently, and calls to my Google Voice number tang on both phones, texts were delivered to both phones, and calls from either phone appeared to be from my Google Voice number. Nobody knew which phone I was using when, or even that I had multiple phones.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
But a word of caution, GV doesn't allow MMS messages so those will need to be emailed, and GV only works for US users.
Actually, MMS to Google Voice works for texts sent from T-Mobile (this is new as of ~1 month ago) and I believe Sprint has supported it for a while. So apparently it's a carrier issue, and is anyone surprised the big 2 are not participating?

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I think that GV will accept MMS from T-Mobile and Sprint. You have to open your email, and the image and ?? video can be accessed. However, you cannot send MMS from GV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007