Moto X and T-Mobile - Miracast Data use?

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I've been leaning toward either the Moto X or the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile's unlimited 4G data plan, particularly for internet and video streaming at home since I live out in a rural area and don't have any broadband options.

I noticed that the Moto x doesn't have an option for HDMI cable output to the TV for watching videos, etc, and only has the wireless Miracast for streaming to the TV. Now I've heard if you use the HDMI hookup you only use the data on the actually unlimited part of the data plan. T-Mobile only allows 2.5 GB per month of Mobile Hotspot data for using the phone as a wifi hotspot for other devices.

My question is, does streaming with Miracast use up the Mobile Hotspot data since it's using its wifi, or not? I've tried searching everywhere I can think of to find the answer, but come up empty.

Any information would be much appreciated! Thank you!

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Miracast is a direct WiFi connection between the phone and the display/TV. Your mobile data plan is not involved in any way. Obviously there is some data usage if you're streaming the content from the internet, but the fact that you're using Miracast is not a factor.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If you have HDMI in connections on the back panel of your TV you can "cast" HD from your phone to your TV using Chromecast.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you have HDMI in connections on the back panel of your TV you can "cast" HD from your phone to your TV using Chromecast.

You need a home wireless network to set up Chromecast. Based on the details given, I dont think the OP has their own wireless network at home.

Posted via Android Central App

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I live in an area where only T-Mobile works for internet. Only by the window too. I learned moto x can only use miracast. I've never used it before my tf300t had 4.3 and never had miracast. I though miracast is only a nexus thing.

Does this mean the moto x is really a nexus :)

But I read too that nexus 5 and nexus 7 support slimcast. If it's direct Wi-Fi that means it only users Wi-Fi from the moto x. My tf300t had that and I think done Samsung's do too. Never used it or knew how. Glad there are options for those of us who rely on T-Mobile for internet can stream and watch our content.

Posted via Android Central App

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the information! I had thought about Chromecast, but since I don't have a wifi network at home without using the phone's wifi hotspot data, I was looking for something that would allow me to stream Netflix and videos from the internet without burning through all my data in a few days. It sounds like this should work out then.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the information! I had thought about Chromecast, but since I don't have a wifi network at home without using the phone's wifi hotspot data, I was looking for something that would allow me to stream Netflix and videos from the internet without burning through all my data in a few days. It sounds like this should work out then.

Your phone has to pull the data down from the internet one way or another. Doesn't matter if it's hotspotting it to a Chromecast or is mirroring it via Miracast. Either way everything you see is burning your data.

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Right, I understand that. My point was that with the T-Mobile plan, the data that is used for the phone itself is unlimited - no data caps or throttling down speeds. However, if you're using the phone as a mobile wifi hotspot to provide a wifi network connection to other equipment (like Chromecast requires, I believe?) you only get 2.5 GB of data, which is not that much for video. My question was whether Miracast required the wifi network connection like Chromecast and used up that data or whether it acted more like a wireless HDMI cable and only used the phone's data.
Thanks for the replies and information!

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking into mircast and wi-fi direct more as well. It sounds like miracast does use a direct wi-fi connection.

Looking into wi-fi direct it says the range is 658 ft. That sounds a little too good to be true though. I'm on t-mobile unlimited now. I'm able to put the phone in the bedroom next to the window (only place I get 4G and fast) and I'm not tethering the 2.5 GB to my netbook and it's fast.

My question is since the bedroom to the tv in the living room is 30 ft would that would for miracast and moto x? Has anyone used this with their moto x. Also, which miracast is the best one to buy. This sounds like it will work just need to clarify a few points. Thanks.

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Right, I understand that. My point was that with the T-Mobile plan, the data that is used for the phone itself is unlimited - no data caps or throttling down speeds. However, if you're using the phone as a mobile wifi hotspot to provide a wifi network connection to other equipment (like Chromecast requires, I believe?) you only get 2.5 GB of data, which is not that much for video. My question was whether Miracast required the wifi network connection like Chromecast and used up that data or whether it acted more like a wireless HDMI cable and only used the phone's data.
Thanks for the replies and information!
I'm afraid you may be misunderstanding your T-Mobile agreement. I have T-Mobile as well, and to my knowledge they don't have an unthrottled unlimited plan. I think the highest plan you can get (that they advertise) is 10 GB of high speed. You get high speed data up to the level you paid for, then they throttle to 2G speeds. As far as I can tell they don't care if the data use is through the WiFi hotspot on your phone, or through just normal phone use (i.e., Netflix or other streaming apps). I think if you attempt to use it this way you will hit your data limit in a short time. You could always try it; just wait until a few days before your billing cycle ends and see if you hit your cap and get throttled or not. You can also monitor your data usage at my.t-mobile.com

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't actually have T-Mobile right now, I was thinking about switching because they are the only ones (currently) that offer unthrottled unlimited 4G data, as far as I understand it, under the $70 a month Simple Choice plan:
Cell Phone Plans | Cheap Cell Phone Plans & Unlimited Data | T-Mobile

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it, but it seems they are going out of their way to advertise no data caps, no lowered speeds, and that is what made me lean toward switching to them in the first place. It seems as though most of the other carrier's "unlimited plans" do come with that type of data cap and throttling.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't actually have T-Mobile right now, I was thinking about switching because they are the only ones (currently) that offer unthrottled unlimited 4G data, as far as I understand it, under the $70 a month Simple Choice plan:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it, but it seems they are going out of their way to advertise no data caps, no lowered speeds, and that is what made me lean toward switching to them in the first place. It seems as though most of the other carrier's "unlimited plans" do come with that type of data cap and throttling.

Oh, they allow for throttling alright. From the link you posted:

"Network Management: Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming."

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site

Hmm... Looking at that link, I think you're right. My information was outdated. So, go for it!

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh, they allow for throttling alright. From the link you posted:

"Network Management: Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users, or significant roaming."

Just because they allow for it doesn't mean they will. Sprint was the same way. Can't tell you how much data I used with them and I've seen people online brag about using more. I know roaming high speed data can get you flagged. It used to be that t-mobile capped or throttled data but that's no longer the case anymore. I've heard and actually known people to use 50 GB of data in a monthly billing cycle and be fine. What the OP is asking if he were to have a phone that connected to the tv (like MHL or miracast) if plugging the phone into the tv and using it to stream netflix, hulu, or etc. would count against his unlimited plan. And no it would not. Miracast is another story since it's direct wi-fi. And MHL cable would just be plugging it in but moto x only supports miracast. I think he was also asking if connecting a device to miracast required any internet source for the miracast adapter and that's not the case because it's direct wi-fi. The range is another story though. I don't know how much data you have to use for t-mobile to flag you but there are people who use well over 50 GB and don't get flagged. Obviously, if you do use an abnormal amount you do take a risk and you never know if you're going to get singled out or not. But I'm pretty sure t-mobile will at least alert you first before they cap you, throttle, or terminate.

Sprint does to people who roam high speed data. T-mobile actually only throttles you if you are unlimited and you use up your 2.5 GB of tethering data. But that's seperate from the unlimited and you can always add more data to that. Actually I wonder if anyone here works for t-mobile and knows what counts as flagging someone's account for massive data usage. Is there a certain number they have to reach or is roaming also a factor?

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It's good to know that T-Mobile means what they say about not throttling you. So just to clarify - you're saying that you're on T-Mobile unlimited and if you're using your Moto x with miracast to stream Netflix, for example, mirrored to your tv, you are actually using your 2.5GB of mobile hotspot data and not the unlimited phone data? Have you actually been doing this and know from personal experience or are you just guessing?

Sorry if it seems like I'm beating the issue to death, but it seems like I've gotten some conflicting opinions about this and I'd really like to find out for sure before I decide on the right phone for me. Thanks!

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It's good to know that T-Mobile means what they say about not throttling you. So just to clarify - you're saying that you're on T-Mobile unlimited and if you're using your Moto x with miracast to stream Netflix, for example, mirrored to your tv, you are actually using your 2.5GB of mobile hotspot data and not the unlimited phone data? Have you actually been doing this and know from personal experience or are you just guessing?

Sorry if it seems like I'm beating the issue to death, but it seems like I've gotten some conflicting opinions about this and I'd really like to find out for sure before I decide on the right phone for me. Thanks!

No I'm not saying that. I am on t-mobile unlimited and the phone I have isn't able to connect to the tv unfortunately. I did used to have sprint though and hooked my phone up to the tv sometimes and it was fine. Using a cable with your unlimited data doesn't hurt your data plan. Although some apps block mirroring. Hulu used to but not anymore. I was saying right now I'm using my 2.5 GB to tether my phone to my netbook. I can only do it by a window that for some reason gets full 4G. I cannot say if using miracast though will use any tethering data. It should not because it is a DIRECT wi-fi connection. I looked at the wireless foundation website and miracast and read a bunch on miracast (still vague). The implication of miracast should not use any data from miracast or need to use data or a wi-fi connection. All it needs is your phone to give it wi-fi. I never used the wi-fi direct on my tf300t but samsung phones are the same.

The only way I can see miracast using data from your phone or to NEED tethering would probably be based on the adapter you buy. And if you do need to tether to it would the miracast use only a little data coming from the phone or would it count as whatever your streaming. I believe if you need to tether it, it would be only a little data. I've never used miracast or wi-fi direct so I don't know. It's frustrating that there is so little information about their about miracast and it's kind of disappointing that Motorola chose that over slimport or mhl. Nexus 5 has both slimport and miracast.

All I was trying to point out is that streaming netflix or something on your phone and plugging it into the tv using your unlimited data doesn't affect your data. That's with a cable. Miracast I can't say for sure because I've never done it. But from what I've read (google miracast. You should get stuff from the wireless alliance site and other sites) it seems like it's just a direct wi-fi conntection which requires no internet from miracast. Sorry if I've confused you. I'm honestly confused about miracast as well and trying to research as much as I can about it. I absolutely need to be able to have a way for my phone to connect to the tv. We're in the same boat.

Holy crap it's simpler than I thought. But it seems you have to have the right tv too. I found this on youtube it might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA3Opudj4VU

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. I've been googling miracast to try to figure this out with every combination of search terms I can think of, but all the information is so vague and sometimes contradictory that I haven't been able to get any concrete answers. I'd really rather go with the moto x than the nexus 5 or another phone, but whatever I get has to be able to be able to link with the tv in a way that doesn't burn up the limited part of my data.

I think at this point I'm just going to try contacting the companies involved directly (T-Mobile, Wifi Alliance, Motorola?) to see if they have any information about it. We can't be the only ones having this problem.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. I've been googling miracast to try to figure this out with every combination of search terms I can think of, but all the information is so vague and sometimes contradictory that I haven't been able to get any concrete answers. I'd really rather go with the moto x than the nexus 5 or another phone, but whatever I get has to be able to be able to link with the tv in a way that doesn't burn up the limited part of my data.

I think at this point I'm just going to try contacting the companies involved directly (T-Mobile, Wifi Alliance, Motorola?) to see if they have any information about it. We can't be the only ones having this problem.

Not sure if you saw my post but I did some more research. Don't know why it took so long to find but it's very easy. Someone else on these forums in the GS3 section asked the same thing. I looked at a bunch of youtube videos and the netgear one as well as the tronsmart do not require any internet or mobile connection of any kind. You just plug the dongle to the tv and usb port on the tv. If no usb port you use a wall charger. Like google chromecast. You then just go to wireless display under display and cast it to the tv that way. I don't know the range but there are plenty of videos of people doing it from couch to tv and no lag and it looks fine. The only other question is which miracast adapter to use. So far the tronsmart and the netgear look the best although the netgear is older. It's not just for android too it can work on your pc as well or even windows surface tablets.

For both our purposes this will work. Just search for miracast on youtube and look at some of the videos. The only one I see that requires an internet connection is the asus one which looks like a rip anyways. The new belkin one that just came out doesn't require any connection either. An adhoc connection is made between the tv/dongle and device which is why no wi-fi or data reception is needed. I wouldn't ask t-mobile about it especially about needing to use it to stream content.

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
So it looks like that's the answer then. I'll have to look up the different adapters and see which seems like it would work best. Good luck to you, let me know if you find out any new information!

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I will. I did already do research on routers and the one I'm going to get is the tronsmart.

Amazon.com: Tronsmart T1000 Mirror2TV Wireless Display HDMI Dongle Support Miracast DLNA EZCAST AirPlay Compatible with Android OS / Apple iOS / Samsung AllShare Cast S3 S4 Note2 Note3 Note10.1 / Google Nexus4 Nexus5 Nexus7 / Amazon Kindle Fire HDX /

The amazon page doesn't say it supports moto x but it says it works nexus 4/5/7 (2013) kindle fire, and even the dell venue pro 8. I'm pretty sure it works with Moto X although I haven't been able to find any information about people using moto x for miracasting.

However, doing further research I did find one that is confirmed by motorola themselves that works.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/94876/p/30,6720,8696

In the diagram it shows PTV300 as the device connected. That is the netgear miracast adapter.

Amazon.com : NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX : Streaming Media Clients : Electronics

However, from videos I've seen and reviews it does require firmware updates. I don't believe the tronsmart one does. But it's on moto x's site showing it works.

A new one that just came out and that has no reviews from belkin is this. However it says it's supported for sprint, not sold on amazon and no reviews. So not sure.
Miracast Video Adapter | Other Accessories | Mobile Accessories | Products | Belkin USA Site
Belkin USA Site

Because the tronsmart is about as much as a chromecast, has a nice low profile design, reviews seem decent, and no firmware annoyances I'll probably go with that. My friend might get a dell venue pro 8 tablet as well and that's supported also. Also, one more tidbit of information about the miracast and slimport. I looked for slimport cables for amazon and other websites and I see mixed results of what work for the nexus 5 and what doesn't work. You shouldn't see a cable on amazon with so many negative reviews or mixed reviews of Nexus 5. So it seems that whether you get the moto x or nexus 5 miracast is going to be your best option. I'm not going to get one until february since that's when I'll get the moto x or nexus 5. Still haven't decided. But at the very least which can or can't connect isn't an issue anymore. Best of luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1