Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Contacts & Calendar

    Regarding the stock calendar and address book ... I have birthdays entered in for a lot of my contacts, but they're not showing up in the stock calendar. You'd think if you entered in a birthday for one of your contacts, it would sync up with the calendar ...no?

    Do I have to manually enter in birthdays to the calendar?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    ctl904's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    You have to tell the app to display them by checking the "contact's birthdays and events" box in the "calendars to display" options.

    I stand corrected, I just realized mine are not showing as well.
  3. #3  
    ctl904's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Found a fix. Clear your cache and data for both calendar and calendar storage in your device App settings. Go to your Google account and re-sync the calendar. This worked for me.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Did exactly as you said but birthdays still aren't showing up.

    Cleared data and cache for both Calendar and Calendar Storage. No joy.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    ctl904's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by djr7572 View Post

    Cleared data and cache for both Calendar and Calendar Storage. No joy.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Did you also go into your Google account in the account settings and manually re-sync the calendar afterwards?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by ctl904 View Post
    Did you also go into your Google account in the account settings and manually re-sync the calendar afterwards?
    Yes I did. I went to Settings>Accounts>Google ... re-synced everything in the Google account. Nothing changed in the calendar.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  
    ctl904's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Wow that's weird. I used this exact method to add in some new bdays, sorry it's not working for you.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by ctl904 View Post
    Wow that's weird. I used this exact method to add in some new bdays, sorry it's not working for you.
    Sighs ... yeah, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Theoretically, my birthday entries should be appearing in my Calendar. I did a sync a few times already and they're not in there.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by djr7572 View Post
    Sighs ... yeah, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Theoretically, my birthday entries should be appearing in my Calendar. I did a sync a few times already and they're not in there.
    Did you verify that the birthdays are showing up online in your web based Google calendar?

    Edit: Sorry, I don't know what your past Android usage is. Do your contacts show up in your Google account?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by kernmal View Post
    Did you verify that the birthdays are showing up online in your web based Google calendar?

    Edit: Sorry, I don't know what your past Android usage is. Do your contacts show up in your Google account?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm a newbie. And yes - on my PC, In Google Calendar, the birthdays are showing up. I'm sure the Calendar is pulling the birthdays from my Contacts list in GMail - which would make sense. I'm just getting the birthdays on my Calendar on my phone.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Not an uncommon problem.
    I go through this once a year with birthdays and holidays.
    Google calendar only synchs 12 months of birthdays. And it is a one time synch. As far as I know, it will not automatically update if you add new contact birthdays.

    Clearing cache and data for the calendar and re-synching should have worked.

    I normally go into Calendar and unselect contact birthdays and holidays for synching. Then synch Calendar. Contact birthdays and holidays disappear. Then I go back in and reselect birthdays and holidays for synching and then re-synch calendar.
    Sometimes, they don't show right away. It may take ten minutes and another re-synch.
    But then I get 12 months worth. Older birthdays and holidays disappear.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Ok, I figured it out. As long as you have birthdays entered into your Contacts in GMail, Calendar will pick those up. Then, on your device, you go into Calendar .. upper right corner to open the menu ... "Calendars to display" ... and then select your Google account ... it will say "Calendars to sync" ... if you expand the view under your Google account, you'll see your GMail address, "Contacts' birthdays and events", and "US Holidays". Just make sure those are check marked and you're good to go! Re-open your Calendar and it's all there.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Glad you got it to work!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by kernmal View Post
    Not an uncommon problem.
    I go through this once a year with birthdays and holidays.
    Google calendar only synchs 12 months of birthdays. And it is a one time synch. As far as I know, it will not automatically update if you add new contact birthdays.

    Clearing cache and data for the calendar and re-synching should have worked.

    I normally go into Calendar and unselect contact birthdays and holidays for synching. Then synch Calendar. Contact birthdays and holidays disappear. Then I go back in and reselect birthdays and holidays for synching and then re-synch calendar.
    Sometimes, they don't show right away. It may take ten minutes and another re-synch.
    But then I get 12 months worth. Older birthdays and holidays disappear.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, I never had birthdays and holidays check marked in my Calendar to begin with - that was the problem.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Quote Originally Posted by kernmal View Post
    Glad you got it to work!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for your help!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Contacts & Calendar

    Having a hard time syncing a holiday calendar with the Google Calendar. Can't find a way to get the calendar and merge with the Google Calendar. Since you have had experience with this, perhaps you can help me.

    Posted via the Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. Calendar that can sync google calendar and Facebook calendar
    By projectmx in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM
  2. calendar
    By RRHMJ23 in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 11:35 PM
  4. action memo - adding contact - no space btwn 1st and last name
    By jeffmull in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM
  5. cannot sync calendar entries
    By andyhoo in forum Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions