Do you think the Moto X is future proof?

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone no doubt in today's world, but what about a year from now? Two years from now? Saw a comment about this today and I was curious to know what y'all thought.

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a great phone no doubt in today's world, but what about a year from now? Two years from now? Saw a comment about this today and I was curious to know what y'all thought.

Most phones have about 18 months, but you don't need to worry. It will be ok for next two years :)
If not officialy, there will be custom ROMs from communities (like this or XDA Dev).

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that mobile phones are still improving rapidly, and no phone you can purchase today is future proof. Get something you enjoy using now.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
No phone you buy today is going to be future proof. 2 years is a long time.

All of them better suck in two years or I am not upgrading. Moto X will be just as good as anything else. But all phones suck after 2 years.

Much more likely then most phones to get android updates it seems. If that is what you are asking.

And yes I know someone going to post how great there galaxy S2 is running today, etc.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Moto X came with 4.2.2 which ran fine but KitKat made Android to run on device with low spec and RAM as low as 512 mb

so dont see Moto X getting outdated anytime soon

Last edited:

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The human factor is just as important as specs in figuring out if a phone is "future proof" enough for you, and by that I mean your own personality.

How sensitive are you to a bit of lag here and there, or the occasional stutter? If you're easygoing about that, then I definitely wouldn't worry, but if you're the type who doesn't like anything other than silky smooth operation then you'll grow dissatisifed sooner than most people as your aging phone will do its best to cope with leading edge apps and demanding web sites. I think the Moto X will hold its own very well in these situations but a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" personality will probably grow dissatisfied sooner.

In my case I'm not too picky about that sort of thing, BUT I'm pretty sure I'll get the 2nd gen Moto X the day it comes out because of my love for ShinyNewToysThatIMustHaveNow. I'm pretty sure the Moto X will be future proof enough to last until then for me! :)

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry... Example : my years old HTC HD2 (LEO-released in 2009!!!) running on almost everything and its a "pensioner" already... The Moto X with its spec will have same fate...

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This war one of my concerns when deciding between the Moto X and the Nexus 5, but I'd rather risk a little lag here and there in the future than live without Active Display and Touch less Controls for the next year or two.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?

I like the phone well enough, but I wish I could have wireless charging. Boy do I miss that. I was able to buy parts to make my husband's G4 work with a Qi charger, but there doesn't seem to be any good wireless charging for the Moto X. :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?

I like the phone well enough, but I wish I could have wireless charging. Boy do I miss that. I was able to buy parts to make my husband's G4 work with a Qi charger, but there doesn't seem to be any good wireless charging for the Moto X. :(

It's something that varies from person to person. I think it's really cool, as opposed to a boring flashing light

Posted via Android Central App

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

No phone with an embedded and non-replaceable battery is truly "future proof". Its useful lifetime will be no longer than the battery lifetime.

Yes, I have seen the videos showing how to replace the Moto X battery but A) it is not simple and B) so far, no one has actually detailed where you get the replacement battery. Does Motorola sell them to end users?

Paul

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that I will ever root this phone, but I'm curious as to why you think xda won't support the Moto X?

Sent from my Moto X

Because phone has been released in August 2013 and almost 5 month later there is still no active development on XDA. (compared to Galaxy series, Nexus, or other HTC devices that I used) All kernel developers said NO to Moto X

cyanogenmod supports it. there is no greater support than that

https://plus.google.com/+CyanogenMod/posts/ZVa7Vsao9eq

Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good.

If I wanted dev friendly phone, Moto X would be the LAST on my list :) so far I only rely on Motorola team to provide me with updates. I have high hopes for Jan/Feb release of 4.4.2 along with camera update. If they fail, I will get N5 instead.

Last edited:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

If you have a missed text, a missed call and an email and your multi-colored LED is blinking, can you touch the LED and see previews of the text and the email and see who called so you can decide which, if any, of those you want to respond to right away and which ones can wait?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that I will ever root this phone, but I'm curious as to why you think xda won't support the Moto X?

Sent from my Moto X

Because phone has been released in August 2013 and almost 5 month later there is still no active development on XDA. (compared to Galaxy series, Nexus, or other HTC devices that I used) All kernel developers said NO to Moto X

dont know where you look in xda but any thread that starts with [ROM] are ROMs Moto X Android Development - xda-developers

No activity for ROM... u must be kidding me.. check the link there are hundreds of ROM