Transfering iTunes library to Moto X / Google Cloud

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
So, I'd like to take advantage of my 2 year's worth of Google Drive + 50GB storage promotion. My first question is, is Google Drive basically Google's cloud service? Or is Google's cloud service something else entirely?

The big question is, how do I transfer my iTunes library to Google Drive/cloud? And once I do that, what's the streaming experience like on Moto X? When you stream music, does it stream to your device quickly (is it instantaneous?) or is there a lot of lag? I'm kind of assuming that it depends on the file size. My entire iTunes library is AAC files - I chose this file type for good sound without using Lossless. But my library is 43GB of music which, on paper, should fit on Google Drive with this promotion.

Thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The best way to import your iTunes library is via Google Play Music. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...//play.google.com/music/listen&token=kN-pKR9D. There is a specific tool designed to upload your music to Google's servers and it's designed to work specifically with iTunes and a generic file structure, such as found in OSX or Windows. You can store up to 20,000 songs for free and have unlimited streaming to your devices for free (other than data charges), + you can "Pin" (somewhat like downloading) your library and playlists to your devices as much as you want.

kae9797

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Instead of Google drive you should download Google play to your computer and upload your music library to that instead. I think you can load like 20000 songs and it will export them from your iTunes library.
Then if you add anymore songs to iTunes they will get uploaded to Google play too. That is what I use.

I put a couple of songs on my Google drive and it yea it worked but its so much better with Google play.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Instead of Google drive you should download Google play to your computer and upload your music library to that instead. I think you can load like 20000 songs and it will export them from your iTunes library.
Then if you add anymore songs to iTunes they will get uploaded to Google play too. That is what I use.

I put a couple of songs on my Google drive and it yea it worked but its so much better with Google play.

Ok, I definitely know what Google Play is, but can you download it as an app on your PC like iTunes, or is Google Play web-based only?

And what happens if you have more than 20,000 songs? Does it prompt you to subscribe to a cloud service at that point?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Google Play music manager is a program that reads your iTunes library and then uploads the songs that are eligible to Google play Music which is the cloud music service for Google. You can also log into it from a computer. I get my songs from Amazon and then load to iTunes so they are DRM free. Not sure how DRM restricted music from itunes transfers. As I add songs I buy from Amazon to iTunes, it automatically updates to Google Play Music as well.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The best way to import your iTunes library is via Google Play Music. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...//play.google.com/music/listen&token=Het04qCo. There is a specific tool designed to upload your music to Google's servers and it's designed to work specifically with iTunes and a generic file structure, such as found in OSX or Windows. You can store up to 20,000 songs for free and have unlimited streaming to your devices for free (other than data charges), + you can "Pin" (somewhat like downloading) your library and playlists to your devices as much as you want.

Thank you!

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
OP here again. I'm still kinda confused as to the difference between Google Play Music and Google Drive. They both seem to function as a cloud service ... ? I'm currently exporting my iTunes library into Google Play Music ... if I'm doing that, is there any reason to put my music library on Google Drive as well? Or is that redundant? Maybe someone can explain the difference to me like I'm 5 :).

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Google Drive is Google's version of Drop Box. The main difference is that it's integrated with Google Docs. There's no need to save your music to drive since it will already be available to play in the Google music app (stream or offline). Using Drive would be redundant and less functional.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Google Drive is Google's version of Drop Box. The main difference is that it's integrated with Google Docs. There's no need to save your music to drive since it will already be available to play in the Google music app (stream or offline). Using Drive would be redundant and less functional.

Ok. So Google Drive is a kind of cloud service ... ? And Google Play Music will allow me to stream my library onto my phone using the Google Play Music app on my Moto X? I guess it would have to be streaming because the music files aren't going to reside on my device (phone is 32gb and my library 43gb). It's gotta be streaming.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So Google Drive is a kind of cloud service ... ? And Google Play Music will allow me to stream my library onto my phone using the Google Play Music app on my Moto X? I guess it would have to be streaming because the music files aren't going to reside on my device (phone is 32gb and my library 43gb). It's gotta be streaming.

Ya, Drive is a cloud storage service. You would need to stream or temporarily select playlists to be made available for offline listening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm