Questions about the Moto X???

SIMMMONS

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So lately I've been thinking about buying a Moto X but I still have some doubts about the phone that are the only thing stopping me from getting it:

1. [*]burn in: does it get a burn in easily? My current phone doesn't have an OLED display so I don't know how bad it can get. And if it does, can it be 100% fixed with apps like Screen Burn-in Tool?
    [*]future proof: I'm planning on keeping this phone for at least 18 months. Since the Moto X is, technically, a dual-core phone (and yes, I know about X8), I'm worried about it not being able to handle heavier apps in the future.
    [*]display: is the screen good? I'm deciding between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X and this is important to me. The Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen and 441ppi screen while the Moto X has a 720p and 316ppi. So my question would be is it a huge difference or not?
    [*]updates: do you think it will keep getting updates from Google? I know it will stop getting them at some point, but how long until it stops?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So lately I've been thinking about buying a Moto X but I still have some doubts about the phone that are the only thing stopping me from getting it:

1. [*]burn in: does it get a burn in easily? My current phone doesn't have an OLED display so I don't know how bad it can get. And if it does, can it be 100% fixed with apps like Screen Burn-in Tool?
    [*]future proof: I'm planning on keeping this phone for at least 18 months. Since the Moto X is, technically, a dual-core phone (and yes, I know about X8), I'm worried about it not being able to handle heavier apps in the future.
    [*]display: is the screen good? I'm deciding between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X and this is important to me. The Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen and 441ppi screen while the Moto X has a 720p and 316ppi. So my question would be is it a huge difference or not?
    [*]updates: do you think it will keep getting updates from Google? I know it will stop getting them at some point, but how long until it stops?

1. What do you mean by burn in?
2. There was a thread regarding this a few days ago and the general opinion was that yes, it should be fine for the next 2 or so years.
3. Screen is great, I have an S4 which also has a PPI of 441 and I didn't see anything to complain about with the X's display. They use different technologies so you'll have to check them out for yourself to see which you prefer
4. Should also receive updates for the foreseeable future since it is from a Google company and running near stock-android :)

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've read some complains about Moto X's display getting burn ins and it seems to be a normal thing with AMOLED displays.
Thank you, it really helped :)

Hmm, not sure. I haven't seen it and it's not an issue on my S4 (SAMOLED display)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
1) I had my phone for about 2 months and half, haven't noticed any burn in. I think burn in can be a issue with any screen, but I guess if you dont let your screen stay on, and let it sit there it shouldnt be a issue at all.
2) Yes. The software + hardware is exceptionally optimized, plus with 4.4 or was it 4.3, includes TRIM support, though Motorola added a bit extra. This helps it run fast and smooth even in the future. The only thing that is slightly cumbersome is the camera.
3) The screen to me is great, I haven't played much with some of the other phones, but its good.
4) Motorola is deteremened to keep this phone updated and working, putting apps on the playstore to bypass carriers, and keeping it stockish so updates are fast. I'm betting the typical 18+ schedule, if not more.

Ualrdynodo

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Bought it in September and I do have some slight burn in in the nav bar which is noticeable when browsing the web in landscape with the phone turned clockwise. Thinking of cutting my losses and selling bc I don't think the screen on my phone will last for two years. Maybe might pick up a droid mini so I can still have active display.

tech addicted

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean by burn in It burns my hand because I can't put it down??
I heard Google will support the moto x until 2050 but that could be longer.
How long are you planing to keep the phone? Lol

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe Motorola stated they plan to support the phone with software updates for 24 months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SIMMMONS

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Bought it in September and I do have some slight burn in in the nav bar which is noticeable when browsing the web in landscape with the phone turned clockwise. Thinking of cutting my losses and selling bc I don't think the screen on my phone will last for two years. Maybe might pick up a droid mini so I can still have active display.

Have you tried fixing it?

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a Moto X, and had I not purchased the N5 first, I would have likely kept the Moto X. I preferred the saturated colors of the Moto X screen over the N5 supposedly more color accurate screen. I liked the way the colors popped and the deep blacks of the Moto X.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a Moto X, and had I not purchased the N5 first, I would have likely kept the Moto X. I preferred the saturated colors of the Moto X screen over the N5 supposedly more color accurate screen. I liked the way the colors popped and the deep blacks of the Moto X.

You can make them pop on N5 as well with simple root

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Burn in can be an issue. I only heard and read about it, and saw in stores, but never had on my phones yet.
Updates are fast for a none Nexus device, but Nexus is still faster
Display is great but its a personal preference, some like AMOLED others IPS. IPS on N5 is actually better and colors can be customized with root and kernel.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've seen people saying you can fix it with some apps (but I don't know if they actually work).

Yeah, didn't know if you had seen it in action. That's one of my worries about this phone. I know it happens, but it shouldn't happen in 2-3 months.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If a phone was running the same app constantly, like an in store demo phone for instance, burn in might be an issue with any phone. But the way most people use a phone I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like the screen is a brand new technology. These screens have been used for years.

BTW the screen looks fantastic. In a small display such as a phone you will not notice a difference between 1080 and 720.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had my Moto X since Sept 11,2013. I dont have any screen burn in .I dont run the screen brightness ,about 1/3 of the way up works for me most of the times .

I will probably wait until an X 2 comes out before I will feel I "might " update

The screen looks great to me .

So far the updates for the Moto X have been fast.

Last edited:

SIMMMONS

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
If a phone was running the same app constantly, like an in store demo phone for instance, burn in might be an issue with any phone. But the way most people use a phone I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like the screen is a brand new technology. These screens have been used for years.

BTW the screen looks fantastic. In a small display such as a phone you will not notice a difference between 1080 and 720.

I'm a little worried about that. I use Twitter a lot, so I think I'd get a burn in quickly. And I only use like 50% brightness, maybe this can help me avoid a burn in?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR