Questions about the Moto X???

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
For those with both, or had both, moto x and nexus 5, which honestly feels better in the hand?, cos i've got the nexus 5, it feels really nice but i'm thinking of getting the moto x and wanna know if the moto x feels the same or better? and how does the back of the phone exactly feel? is it rubbery smooth like the n5's back?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
For those with both, or had both, moto x and nexus 5, which honestly feels better in the hand?, cos i've got the nexus 5, it feels really nice but i'm thinking of getting the moto x and wanna know if the moto x feels the same or better?

Why not go into a store and hold the Moto X for yourself?

and how does the back of the phone exactly feel? is it rubbery smooth like the n5's back?

The dark colors are a nice soft touch.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
For those with both, or had both, moto x and nexus 5, which honestly feels better in the hand?, cos i've got the nexus 5, it feels really nice but i'm thinking of getting the moto x and wanna know if the moto x feels the same or better? and how does the back of the phone exactly feel? is it rubbery smooth like the n5's back?

Moto X feels great on hand... I would say there is no other phone which feels great like Moto X.. if you read reviews of moto X one thing everyone mention is how they feel great on hand

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I have used iPhones since the iPhone 4 when my upgrade rolled around I picked up the s4 but only had it for about 10 days, started finding more assn more things I didn't like about it, swapped it for a 5s and didn't think I'd ever look back then my girl grabbed me a Dev edition moto x for my b-day, on cyber Monday, I was planning on switching it up between the two phones but I put the Sim in the moto and haven't looked back I live this phone feels great in the hand, soft touch would feel that much better, stick android is great with the few features they added being mad useful couldn't imagine not having active display, rocked controls are awesome when laying in bed with the phone next to the computer, can set an alarm with out getting up or touching the phone, like it enough that I'm prolly just going to sell the 5s first phone that actually got me to make the switch

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So lately I've been thinking about buying a Moto X but I still have some doubts about the phone that are the only thing stopping me from getting it:
  1. burn in: does it get a burn in easily? My current phone doesn't have an OLED display so I don't know how bad it can get. And if it does, can it be 100% fixed with apps like Screen Burn-in Tool?
  2. future proof: I'm planning on keeping this phone for at least 18 months. Since the Moto X is, technically, a dual-core phone (and yes, I know about X8), I'm worried about it not being able to handle heavier apps in the future.
  3. display: is the screen good? I'm deciding between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X and this is important to me. The Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen and 441ppi screen while the Moto X has a 720p and 316ppi. So my question would be is it a huge difference or not?
  4. updates: do you think it will keep getting updates from Google? I know it will stop getting them at some point, but how long until it stops?

2. Agree with everyone else.
3. If you know about the X8 then you answered the question ;)
4. The screen is pretty awesome. I like IPS screens, but my last two devices have been LED and this one is pretty pleasing to me.
5. I think the 4.4 update was fairly amazing in it's timing and that's not my expectation for the speed of updates, but I fully expect there to be updates, even if not so quickly. My assumption would be 12-24 months, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just 1 or 2 more API levels, if Google keeps incrementing.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little worried about that. I use Twitter a lot, so I think I'd get a burn in quickly. And I only use like 50% brightness, maybe this can help me avoid a burn in?

I think you are over thinking things. Are you planning on leaving the twitter screen on all day? No? Then you will be fine. And yeah, keeping the screen dimmer will help even more I think.

and how does the back of the phone exactly feel? is it rubbery smooth like the n5's back?

That depends on what color you get. Different colors have different textures. I got the black one with the pattern under it and it feels really nice and doesn't slip out of my hand either. It's not plastic, it's more rubbery in feel. It's hard to describe until you touch it. But it is good.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So lately I've been thinking about buying a Moto X but I still have some doubts about the phone that are the only thing stopping me from getting it:

1. [*]burn in: does it get a burn in easily? My current phone doesn't have an OLED display so I don't know how bad it can get. And if it does, can it be 100% fixed with apps like Screen Burn-in Tool?
    [*]future proof: I'm planning on keeping this phone for at least 18 months. Since the Moto X is, technically, a dual-core phone (and yes, I know about X8), I'm worried about it not being able to handle heavier apps in the future.
    [*]display: is the screen good? I'm deciding between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X and this is important to me. The Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen and 441ppi screen while the Moto X has a 720p and 316ppi. So my question would be is it a huge difference or not?
    [*]updates: do you think it will keep getting updates from Google? I know it will stop getting them at some point, but how long until it stops?

2. Haven't noticed any issues. Have had my Moto X for a few months now.
3. I am not worried at all.
4. Display is fine. Human eye can't really detect higher than around 300 PPI anyway.
5. The Moto X will stop getting updates 2 years after first release (per Punit Soni, Motorola).

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
5. The Moto X will stop getting updates 2 years after first release (per Punit Soni, Motorola).

That kind of annoys me simply for the fact that developers start gearing things to the latest version. I guess if the prices for new devices stays low it's okay. But with proper hardware specs there is no reason why phones couldn't be supported longer. Except for their quest to sell more phones. I just wish things lasted longer. Such a disposable society we live in.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
That kind of annoys me simply for the fact that developers start gearing things to the latest version. I guess if the prices for new devices stays low it's okay. But with proper hardware specs there is no reason why phones couldn't be supported longer. Except for their quest to sell more phones. I just wish things lasted longer. Such a disposable society we live in.

Even if they stop giving updates after 2 years, it really doesn't become a serious problem until apps stop supporting the version of Android you were left "stranded" on, and since the Moto X will be kept very up to date until that point I would imagine whatever version it's left on will be widely supported by app makers for at least another year or two more. You may not get the latest and greatest Android features, but your phone could still be very usable for quite a bit longer than end-of-support date.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Even if they stop giving updates after 2 years, it really doesn't become a serious problem until apps stop supporting the version of Android you were left "stranded" on, and since the Moto X will be kept very up to date until that point I would imagine whatever version it's left on will be widely supported by app makers for at least another year or two more. You may not get the latest and greatest Android features, but your phone could still be very usable for quite a bit longer than end-of-support date.

That's true, but I wish things were supported just a wee bit longer. I think if computers required this frequent upgrading I would have abandoned them long ago. I just like things to last a bit longer and I take care of my stuff really well....so planned forced obsolesce is not a concept that goes over well with me.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I hear ya GadgetGator, it's the downside of Moore's Law.... Things advance so fast that gadget makers concentrate on keeping up with the cutting edge rather than paying much attention to those contentedly using their favorite gadgets for multiple years.

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Why not go into a store and hold the Moto X for yourself?

I'm from the UK and the moto x ain't in no shops, hopefully will be soon,

The dark colors are a nice soft touch.

Moto X feels great on hand... I would say there is not other phone which feels great like Moto X.. if you read reviews of moto X one thing everyone mention is how they feel great on hand

Yeah from the reviews everyone likes the feel of the phone, i hope I feel the same, I'm hopefully gna buy this phone because of the feel mainly(and active notifications)

A question for you, i know the moto x is smaller than the nexus 5 from the specs, but how much smaller is it really, I'd life it if it was substantial, i miss the size of small phones

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah from the reviews everyone likes the feel of the phone, i hope I feel the same, I'm hopefully gna buy this phone because of the feel mainly(and active notifications)

A question for you, i know the moto x is smaller than the nexus 5 from the specs, but how much smaller is it really, I'd life it if it was substantial, i miss the size of small phones

phoneArena has a Visual Phone Size Comparison tool.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Every AMOLED panel is going to be subject to burn in. My Galaxy Nexus has a SEVERE case of it. However, I used it for navigation a lot, like, hours a day. I can already see extremely light burn in on my Moto X, but mostly because I know how to go looking for it. There's really nothing that can be done about it. It's the nature of the technology. I wouldn't let it be something to keep me from getting the device.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link, I didn't realize the X was that much smaller than the Nexus 5. Looks like a nice phone to hold.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I just replaced an iPhone 5s with an Xperia Z1s as my second phone, and while there's stuff I really like about my new gadget, the handfeel between it and the Moto X couldn't be more night and day different. (with the Moto X being far more comfortable to hold)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just replaced an iPhone 5s with an Xperia Z1s as my second phone, and while there's stuff I really like about my new gadget, the handfeel between it and the Moto X couldn't be more night and day different. (with the Moto X being far more comfortable to hold)

I hear ya. I love my Nexus 5 and it feels fine in my hand but the X would probably be overall easier to handle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little worried about that. I use Twitter a lot, so I think I'd get a burn in quickly. And I only use like 50% brightness, maybe this can help me avoid a burn in?

Are you having burn in problems now? I don't think I would worry about it. I use Twitter a good amount too and many other apps and my screen looks just as good as when I bought it.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
For your two questions
1. I love the screen and no issues so far
2. I don't believe anyone can predict the future here.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Don't know why #1 was skipped, but I thought I'd keep the OP's format.

2. Burn In: I had this issue with my Galaxy Nexus right from the get go. So far, I haven't noticed any issues with my Moto X. I don't think it will be a problem unless, as some have mentioned, you leave the screen on the same image for long period of time. I, admittedly, did do this with my Gnex (had it set to screen on when plugged in, bad idea in hindsight).
3. Future Proof: I don't think that there will be any apps that this phone cannot handle, save for maybe some intense games in a year. Even then, the GPU is pretty darn good.
4. Display: The Moto X has a great screen. Maybe not the most accurate colors or the highest resolution, but I haven't been left wanting. I had an HTC one for just over a week (returned it for various reasons), and have also used an iPhone 5C for a period, and I'm not at all disappointed by the Moto X. As others have said, at 4.7 inches, the difference between 720P and 1080P is negligible.
5. My Galaxy Nexus (admittedly on Verizon, where updates go to die) stopped getting updates at 4.2.2. So I think, especially with a near stock version of Android, the Moto X will do as well as Nexus devices in terms of updates. Aparently, Google has only committed to updating Nexus devices for 18 months after release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair