Moto X: Idle battery drain

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else suffering from idle battery drain? Mine seems to be getting worse. I went from 100% to 80% in 9 hours last night while I slept. I got maybe 3 or 4 notifications in the middle of the night and I always quit/swipe away all apps when I'm done using them. This just doesn't seem like normal battery behavior. I tried to download the wakelock detector app to see if that might point to something, but apparently you have to be rooted in order to use it, which I'm not. Is there an alternative method to trying to find a culprit? I love my phone but this battery issue is getting frustrating. I'm attaching a screenshot, but I'm not sure if this really tells the whole story. I'm a noob, so bear with me. I just don't know what to look for to find what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I have all the settings I can think of set the most "efficient" setting - screen brightness, pure black wallpaper, etc. But this stuff shouldn't matter considering my battery is draining at idle/asleep - not while awake and active.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-11-14-21-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-11-14-21-38.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Idle battery drain

What apps are giving you notifications overnight? Some apps like Facebook report your location, which could be part of the drain. I agree with B. Diddy...Wakelock detector doesn't work on Kit Kat without root.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

What apps are giving you notifications overnight? Some apps like Facebook report your location, which could be part of the drain. I agree with B. Diddy...Wakelock detector doesn't work on Kit Kat without root.

Overnight, I'm getting maybe a few Facebook notifications, Words with Friends, maybe several GMails, and a few texts.

I'm running Nova Launcher ... could that have any affect? Oh, and I'm also connected to my own WiFi all night ... but I wouldn't think that would make any difference ... ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Nova Launcher should be pretty easy on the battery. Words with Friends is a potential battery sink--I don't know how often it's checking the web for game moves or other functions. Try uninstalling or at least deactivating it overnight. Or you could turn off wifi and 4G overnight.

Will GSam Battery Monitor tell me what's wrong right away, or do I need to run it for a few days so it can capture data?
You should let it run for a few hours to give it time to build up some data. It always resets whenever your recharge or reboot, so let it run for a while after either of these events.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Never had an issue with Nova draining battery. You could Greenify apps if you identify any that are contributing to your problem.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Nova Launcher should be pretty easy on the battery. Words with Friends is a potential battery sink--I don't know how often it's checking the web for game moves or other functions. Try uninstalling or at least deactivating it overnight. Or you could turn off wifi and 4G overnight.

You should let it run for a few hours to give it time to build up some data. It always resets whenever your recharge or reboot, so let it run for a while after either of these events.

Well, Words with Friends - I've only got a few games going at a time. But yeah, I don't know how often the app is waking up. Will the GSam Battery tell me that?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Overnight, I'm getting maybe a few Facebook notifications, Words with Friends, maybe several GMails, and a few texts.

I'm running Nova Launcher ... could that have any affect? Oh, and I'm also connected to my own WiFi all night ... but I wouldn't think that would make any difference ... ?

Do you have location services on? Facebook is a known battery hog and having location reporting can make it worse

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, Words with Friends - I've only got a few games going at a time. But yeah, I don't know how often the app is waking up. Will the GSam Battery tell me that?

GSam should tell you that.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Do you have location services on? Facebook is a known battery hog and having location reporting can make it worse

So, turn off location services for Facebook only, or turn off location services entirely?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'd actually start with turning off Location Reporting only. You can find that setting in Google Settings/Location.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Under Settings>Location>Mode ... I have "High accuracy" selected. Maybe a good idea to switch to "Battery saving"? Or maybe even "Device only"?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I've never noticed any problem with normal functioning of Google Maps and Google Now with Location Reporting off. Those apps will still know where you are.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I've never noticed any problem with normal functioning of Google Maps and Google Now with Location Reporting off. Those apps will still know where you are.

Ok, cool. Maybe by having it on gives you optimum accuracy ... ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Location Reporting is different from simply having an app have access to your Location Services. Location Reporting will periodically report your location back to Google, where it's stored and used for things like Google Offers and sharing your location with friends in Google+. Google is somewhat vague in describing how it's used on their support page, but I know for sure it isn't necessary for apps to know where you are.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3118687?hl=en