Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Idle battery drain

Anyone else suffering from idle battery drain? Mine seems to be getting worse. I went from 100% to 80% in 9 hours last night while I slept. I got maybe 3 or 4 notifications in the middle of the night and I always quit/swipe away all apps when I'm done using them. This just doesn't seem like normal battery behavior. I tried to download the wakelock detector app to see if that might point to something, but apparently you have to be rooted in order to use it, which I'm not. Is there an alternative method to trying to find a culprit? I love my phone but this battery issue is getting frustrating. I'm attaching a screenshot, but I'm not sure if this really tells the whole story. I'm a noob, so bear with me. I just don't know what to look for to find what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I have all the settings I can think of set the most "efficient" setting - screen brightness, pure black wallpaper, etc. But this stuff shouldn't matter considering my battery is draining at idle/asleep - not while awake and active.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto X: Idle battery drain-screenshot_2014-01-11-14-21-38.png  

Default Re: Idle battery drain

I agree, that's too much drain overnight. Try installing GSam Battery Monitor to get a better breakdown of battery usage.
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

What apps are giving you notifications overnight? Some apps like Facebook report your location, which could be part of the drain. I agree with B. Diddy...Wakelock detector doesn't work on Kit Kat without root.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    What apps are giving you notifications overnight? Some apps like Facebook report your location, which could be part of the drain. I agree with B. Diddy...Wakelock detector doesn't work on Kit Kat without root.
    Overnight, I'm getting maybe a few Facebook notifications, Words with Friends, maybe several GMails, and a few texts.

I'm running Nova Launcher ... could that have any affect? Oh, and I'm also connected to my own WiFi all night ... but I wouldn't think that would make any difference ... ?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I agree, that's too much drain overnight. Try installing GSam Battery Monitor to get a better breakdown of battery usage.
    Will GSam Battery Monitor tell me what's wrong right away, or do I need to run it for a few days so it can capture data?

Nova Launcher should be pretty easy on the battery. Words with Friends is a potential battery sink--I don't know how often it's checking the web for game moves or other functions. Try uninstalling or at least deactivating it overnight. Or you could turn off wifi and 4G overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by djr7572 View Post
    Will GSam Battery Monitor tell me what's wrong right away, or do I need to run it for a few days so it can capture data?
    You should let it run for a few hours to give it time to build up some data. It always resets whenever your recharge or reboot, so let it run for a while after either of these events.

Never had an issue with Nova draining battery. You could Greenify apps if you identify any that are contributing to your problem.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Nova Launcher should be pretty easy on the battery. Words with Friends is a potential battery sink--I don't know how often it's checking the web for game moves or other functions. Try uninstalling or at least deactivating it overnight. Or you could turn off wifi and 4G overnight.

You should let it run for a few hours to give it time to build up some data. It always resets whenever your recharge or reboot, so let it run for a while after either of these events.
    Well, Words with Friends - I've only got a few games going at a time. But yeah, I don't know how often the app is waking up. Will the GSam Battery tell me that?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    Never had an issue with Nova draining battery. You could Greenify apps if you identify any that are contributing to your problem.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk
    Do you have to be rooted to Greenify apps?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Do you have to be rooted to Greenify apps?
    Yes, Greenify is a root app

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Overnight, I'm getting maybe a few Facebook notifications, Words with Friends, maybe several GMails, and a few texts.

I'm running Nova Launcher ... could that have any affect? Oh, and I'm also connected to my own WiFi all night ... but I wouldn't think that would make any difference ... ?
    Do you have location services on? Facebook is a known battery hog and having location reporting can make it worse

Well, Words with Friends - I've only got a few games going at a time. But yeah, I don't know how often the app is waking up. Will the GSam Battery tell me that?
    GSam should tell you that.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Do you have location services on? Facebook is a known battery hog and having location reporting can make it worse

So, turn off location services for Facebook only, or turn off location services entirely?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

So, turn off location services for Facebook only, or turn off location services entirely?
    I'd start with Facebook only

I'd actually start with turning off Location Reporting only. You can find that setting in Google Settings/Location.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Under Settings>Location>Mode ... I have "High accuracy" selected. Maybe a good idea to switch to "Battery saving"? Or maybe even "Device only"?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I'd actually start with turning off Location Reporting only. You can find that setting in Google Settings/Location.

By doing this, will Maps and Google Now stop working?

I've never noticed any problem with normal functioning of Google Maps and Google Now with Location Reporting off. Those apps will still know where you are.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I've never noticed any problem with normal functioning of Google Maps and Google Now with Location Reporting off. Those apps will still know where you are.

Ok, cool. Maybe by having it on gives you optimum accuracy ... ?

Location Reporting is different from simply having an app have access to your Location Services. Location Reporting will periodically report your location back to Google, where it's stored and used for things like Google Offers and sharing your location with friends in Google+. Google is somewhat vague in describing how it's used on their support page, but I know for sure it isn't necessary for apps to know where you are.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3118687?hl=en
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 

Do you have the chromecast app installed by chance?

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Location Reporting is different from simply having an app have access to your Location Services. Location Reporting will periodically report your location back to Google, where it's stored and used for things like Google Offers and sharing your location with friends in Google+. Google is somewhat vague in describing how it's used on their support page, but I know for sure it isn't necessary for apps to know where you are.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3118687?hl=en
    Great info ... thank you. I'll start with turning off Location Reporting and see if that makes a difference. I've also got GSam Battery running and I'll dig into that and see if it tells me anything. I also went directly into the Facebook app and changed the refresh interval from every 30 min to every 4 hours. I suppose I could just turn off the refresh entirely, though. I wonder if that Facebook refresh thing is a big culprit. I'm also going to start paying attention to the Words with Friends app and see what it's doing.

Do you think texts and GMail are a battery hog with the phone at idle?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Do you have the chromecast app installed by chance?

Nope. Should I avoid it?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Should I avoid it?
    It was causing wakelocks on my moto x and it took quite a while to pin the issue down to that app. So I would.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Just a thought...maybe you have too many sync's going on. I found a bunch of apps that were syncing with Google that I didn't know about and didn't need syncing.
    Go to Settings>Accounts>Google>tap your google account. That should show you a list of things sync'd with Google. App data, calendar, etc..Uncheck the ones you don't use or wish to have Google sync. I had a bunch I didn't need so ended up with Gmail, Google+ and Apps data. All the rest I un-checked. Good luck!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Postoid View Post
    Just a thought...maybe you have too many sync's going on. I found a bunch of apps that were syncing with Google that I didn't know about and didn't need syncing.
    Go to Settings>Accounts>Google>tap your google account. That should show you a list of things sync'd with Google. App data, calendar, etc..Uncheck the ones you don't use or wish to have Google sync. I had a bunch I didn't need so ended up with Gmail, Google+ and Apps data. All the rest I un-checked. Good luck!
    Interesting. Low and behold there are 12 things in there that are checkmarked. Not sure what "App Data" does ... ? Is it safe to uncheck that one? Things like GMail, Contacts, and Calendar, I have to leave those checked because I want those things to sync. But I definitely found that most of these don't need to sync.

Oh, also ... what is "People details"?

**** nevermind, a simple Google search and I found out about App data and People details. Forgive my laziness
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast