What if there is no X2?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
What if instead of launching a sequel to the Moto X this year, what if Moto just added some more options to Moto Maker, such as screen, CPU, ram, and battery options? So in essence you could get a new version with upgraded specs, but it would still be a Moto X and not an X2.

Would you prefer this, or do you think Moto needs the hype that generates when you launch a new handset, I'm sure the iPhone 5S would have been lees hyped if it was just called an iPhone 5 with higher specs.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
What if instead of launching a sequel to the Moto X this year, what if Moto just added some more options to Moto Maker, such as screen, CPU, ram, and battery options? So in essence you could get a new version with upgraded specs, but it would still be a Moto X and not an X2.

Would you prefer this, or do you think Moto needs the hype that generates when you launch a new handset, I'm sure the iPhone 5S would have been lees hyped if it was just called an iPhone 5 with higher specs.

technology is no where close to upgradable hardware... maybe in few years

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
technology is no where close to upgradable hardware... maybe in few years

No, I'm not talking about upgrading your current Moto X, but if instead of rolling out a brand new handset they just rolled out new hardware options in Moto Maker that included the option of higher specs.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not talking about upgrading your current Moto X, but if instead of rolling out a brand new handset they just rolled out new hardware options in Moto Maker that included the option of higher specs.

if they are to update spec they could very well call it X2 and optimize some hardware design..
I think Moto X need a hype.. I will say it again. technology is no where close to upgradable hardware.

its not that easy to just swap hardware on any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
if they are to update spec they could very well call it X2 and optimize some hardware design..
I think Moto X need a hype.. I will say it again. technology is no where close to upgradable hardware.

its not that easy to just swap hardware on a any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version

You didn't understand what he was saying. You know how you can customize a moto X now? While choosing colors and storage you can choose the processor or RAM as well. Like what the original rumors of motomaker was before the Moto X was announced.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
You can customize a computer from Dell, so why not a cell phone?

I think it'd be pretty good. I could have a smaller phone that way (my old BB Storm was the perfect size for me), but still load it with processing power and memory.

Of course, since that makes sense, it won't happen.

--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

its not that easy to just swap hardware on a any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version

The guys is just taking about adding CPU/RAM as custom options on Moto Maker and still calling the phone a Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You didn't understand what he was saying. You know how you can customize a moto X now? While choosing colors and storage you can choose the processor or RAM as well. Like what the original rumors of motomaker was before the Moto X was announced.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

The guys is just taking about adding CPU/RAM as custom options on Moto Maker and still calling the phone a Moto X.

i understand but still its hard to swap

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

its not that easy to just swap hardware on any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version

That's not true either they have the technology it won't be mainstream consumer ready for a few years though

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

That would be cool. But if it could or would be:
it still be like getting an X2 kinda though if you choose stuff that was upgraded ya from the original X stats, except for the size of the phone/screen.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can customize a computer from Dell, so why not a cell phone?

Computers are made almost entirely out of off-the-shelf parts. Meaning that many different computers can have the same GPU/CPU, etc.
Whereas smart phones are all made with proprietary hardware which requires software optimized for it, in order for the OS and phone to work properly

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i understand but still its hard to swap

Dude he never said anything about swapping. Lol

I think it would be pretty cool to build your own phone. Being able to choose between different CPU's, storage, RAM, etc. However, one of the things that makes the Moto X so great is the optimization between the hardware and software... That same level would be difficult to maintain with customizable internals.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I will be VERY interested to see what direction moto goes. They could really do just about anything.

1. They could fully replace the X with new design and internals.
2. They could do an iphone like thing and keep the X as a low end device and have a redesigned X2 as the new flagship.
3.They could just upgrade internals like what is suggested in this thread

I am personally pulling for 2. I think they could string the X along for another year as a budget phone. I am also hoping that can completely remove the bezel and fit a 5"(or close to) screen in a frame only slightly larger than the X.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I am personally pulling for 2. I think they could string the X along for another year as a budget phone. I am also hoping that can completely remove the bezel and fit a 5"(or close to) screen in a frame only slightly larger than the X.

I don't get why everyone wants the entire bezel gone on phones. I would think this would make it even more likely to break the screen when dropped, not just the glass, but the actual screen underneath. At least right now a lot of phones are still functional when the glass does get cracked because the screen and digitizer survived.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why everyone wants the entire bezel gone on phones. I would think this would make it even more likely to break the screen when dropped, not just the glass, but the actual screen underneath. At least right now a lot of phones are still functional when the glass does get cracked because the screen and digitizer survived.

Glass is already runs to the very edge.

I do not know of any way that a screen can break from impact. Most are fairly flexible I believe. And now the truly flexible screens are on the rise with curved displays.

Having as large as possible screen in a small frame is just maximizing value. Many do not want huge phones, but everyone loves having a big beautiful screen to display large amounts of information.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I will be VERY interested to see what direction moto goes. They could really do just about anything.

1. They could fully replace the X with new design and internals.
2. They could do an iphone like thing and keep the X as a low end device and have a redesigned X2 as the new flagship.
3.They could just upgrade internals like what is suggested in this thread

I agree. I want a smaller phone but would love a slightly bigger screen for whenever I need to watch movies or videos :)