Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What if there is no X2?

    What if instead of launching a sequel to the Moto X this year, what if Moto just added some more options to Moto Maker, such as screen, CPU, ram, and battery options? So in essence you could get a new version with upgraded specs, but it would still be a Moto X and not an X2.

    Would you prefer this, or do you think Moto needs the hype that generates when you launch a new handset, I'm sure the iPhone 5S would have been lees hyped if it was just called an iPhone 5 with higher specs.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    What if instead of launching a sequel to the Moto X this year, what if Moto just added some more options to Moto Maker, such as screen, CPU, ram, and battery options? So in essence you could get a new version with upgraded specs, but it would still be a Moto X and not an X2.

    Would you prefer this, or do you think Moto needs the hype that generates when you launch a new handset, I'm sure the iPhone 5S would have been lees hyped if it was just called an iPhone 5 with higher specs.
    technology is no where close to upgradable hardware... maybe in few years
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    technology is no where close to upgradable hardware... maybe in few years
    No, I'm not talking about upgrading your current Moto X, but if instead of rolling out a brand new handset they just rolled out new hardware options in Moto Maker that included the option of higher specs.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    No, I'm not talking about upgrading your current Moto X, but if instead of rolling out a brand new handset they just rolled out new hardware options in Moto Maker that included the option of higher specs.
    if they are to update spec they could very well call it X2 and optimize some hardware design..
    I think Moto X need a hype.. I will say it again. technology is no where close to upgradable hardware.

    its not that easy to just swap hardware on any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    MERCDROID and A895 like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    if they are to update spec they could very well call it X2 and optimize some hardware design..
    I think Moto X need a hype.. I will say it again. technology is no where close to upgradable hardware.

    its not that easy to just swap hardware on a any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version
    You didn't understand what he was saying. You know how you can customize a moto X now? While choosing colors and storage you can choose the processor or RAM as well. Like what the original rumors of motomaker was before the Moto X was announced.

    Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    MERCDROID likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    You can customize a computer from Dell, so why not a cell phone?

    I think it'd be pretty good. I could have a smaller phone that way (my old BB Storm was the perfect size for me), but still load it with processing power and memory.

    Of course, since that makes sense, it won't happen.

    --
    Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by louisstone View Post
    You can customize a computer from Dell, so why not a cell phone?
    I don't think there's any doubt that such a thing will happen--especially given Project Ara--but it's not happening anytime soon.
    Thanked by:
    dmark44 likes this.
  8. #8  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    if they are to update spec they could very well call it X2 and optimize some hardware design..
    I think Moto X need a hype.. I will say it again. technology is no where close to upgradable hardware.

    its not that easy to just swap hardware on a any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version
    The guys is just taking about adding CPU/RAM as custom options on Moto Maker and still calling the phone a Moto X.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    You didn't understand what he was saying. You know how you can customize a moto X now? While choosing colors and storage you can choose the processor or RAM as well. Like what the original rumors of motomaker was before the Moto X was announced.

    Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The guys is just taking about adding CPU/RAM as custom options on Moto Maker and still calling the phone a Moto X.

    Posted via Android Central App
    i understand but still its hard to swap
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  10. #10  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    i understand but still its hard to swap
    ..but the guy isn't really talking about swapping after the fact....
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    A895DS1331 
    MERCDROID, A895 and DS1331 like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    ..but the guy isn't really talking about swapping after the fact....
    Its hard for him to understand that I'm guessing.

    Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    if they are to update spec they could very well call it X2 and optimize some hardware design..
    I think Moto X need a hype.. I will say it again. technology is no where close to upgradable hardware.

    its not that easy to just swap hardware on any phones. Its would need a lot or work. it would be much easier to release a new version
    That's not true either they have the technology it won't be mainstream consumer ready for a few years though

    Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
  13. #13  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    ..but the guy isn't really talking about swapping after the fact....
    Hahaha exactly wow man

    Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
  14. #14  
    davidnc's Avatar

    Posts
    6,570 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    What if instead of launching a sequel to the Moto X this year, what if Moto just added some more options to Moto Maker, such as screen, CPU, ram, and battery options? So in essence you could get a new version with upgraded specs, but it would still be a Moto X and not an X2.

    Would you prefer this, or do you think Moto needs the hype that generates when you launch a new handset, I'm sure the iPhone 5S would have been lees hyped if it was just called an iPhone 5 with higher specs.
    That would be cool. But if it could or would be:
    it still be like getting an X2 kinda though if you choose stuff that was upgraded ya from the original X stats, except for the size of the phone/screen.
  15. #15  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by louisstone View Post
    You can customize a computer from Dell, so why not a cell phone?
    Computers are made almost entirely out of off-the-shelf parts. Meaning that many different computers can have the same GPU/CPU, etc.
    Whereas smart phones are all made with proprietary hardware which requires software optimized for it, in order for the OS and phone to work properly

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    i understand but still its hard to swap
    Dude he never said anything about swapping. Lol

    I think it would be pretty cool to build your own phone. Being able to choose between different CPU's, storage, RAM, etc. However, one of the things that makes the Moto X so great is the optimization between the hardware and software... That same level would be difficult to maintain with customizable internals.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
  17. #17  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    I will be VERY interested to see what direction moto goes. They could really do just about anything.

    1. They could fully replace the X with new design and internals.
    2. They could do an iphone like thing and keep the X as a low end device and have a redesigned X2 as the new flagship.
    3.They could just upgrade internals like what is suggested in this thread

    I am personally pulling for 2. I think they could string the X along for another year as a budget phone. I am also hoping that can completely remove the bezel and fit a 5"(or close to) screen in a frame only slightly larger than the X.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  18. #18  
    JoeNM84's Avatar

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I am personally pulling for 2. I think they could string the X along for another year as a budget phone. I am also hoping that can completely remove the bezel and fit a 5"(or close to) screen in a frame only slightly larger than the X.
    I don't get why everyone wants the entire bezel gone on phones. I would think this would make it even more likely to break the screen when dropped, not just the glass, but the actual screen underneath. At least right now a lot of phones are still functional when the glass does get cracked because the screen and digitizer survived.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeNM84 View Post
    I don't get why everyone wants the entire bezel gone on phones. I would think this would make it even more likely to break the screen when dropped, not just the glass, but the actual screen underneath. At least right now a lot of phones are still functional when the glass does get cracked because the screen and digitizer survived.
    Glass is already runs to the very edge.

    I do not know of any way that a screen can break from impact. Most are fairly flexible I believe. And now the truly flexible screens are on the rise with curved displays.

    Having as large as possible screen in a small frame is just maximizing value. Many do not want huge phones, but everyone loves having a big beautiful screen to display large amounts of information.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  20. #20  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I will be VERY interested to see what direction moto goes. They could really do just about anything.

    1. They could fully replace the X with new design and internals.
    2. They could do an iphone like thing and keep the X as a low end device and have a redesigned X2 as the new flagship.
    3.They could just upgrade internals like what is suggested in this thread

    I am personally pulling for 2. I think they could string the X along for another year as a budget phone. I am also hoping that can completely remove the bezel and fit a 5"(or close to) screen in a frame only slightly larger than the X.
    I agree. I want a smaller phone but would love a slightly bigger screen for whenever I need to watch movies or videos

    Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    I give up guys dont pick on me again
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  22. #22  
    imurrx's Avatar

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Sounds like the project Aurora.

    Order your phone exactly how and what you want. Downside is decreased resale price, variable performance, possible harder system updates.

    Solve those issues and you got a winner.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
    DS1331 likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Then we cue the Lemmings..
    The "infraction"
  24. #24  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    What if instead of launching a sequel to the Moto X this year, what if Moto just added some more options to Moto Maker, such as screen, CPU, ram, and battery options? So in essence you could get a new version with upgraded specs, but it would still be a Moto X and not an X2.
    It could be done. That's how other products like computers work. I am not sure why phones are different...maybe because people replace them more often, or because we are still in a growth phase technologically and the smartphone industry is still not a mature one. Not sure. All I know is that Apple for instance, doesn't release new Macs with new names...they are just Macs with upgraded specs as you described with an internal year designation to separate for product inventory and servicing purposes. Same with iPods, routers, Apple TV, etc. But for some reason the phone is the exception.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Glass is already runs to the very edge.

    I do not know of any way that a screen can break from impact. Most are fairly flexible I believe.
    Huh? There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing screens breaking from impact. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are getting at.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What if there is no X2?

    Does anyone think the Moto X UK announcement sort of confirms that there won't be a new Moto X this year.

    Or do you think Moto will really come out with a Moto X2 or something 6 months from now just as the UK gets their Moto Maker and their obstacles worked out. I really think that like someone else said, moto maker will get more colors and more of the natural backs and POSSIBLY maybe extra ram, different processer, or options like that. Just like you check off the 16GB or 32GB there will be an option for that.

    Moto did originally say at first that there will be more higher end models in the future. I don't think they'd be smart if they did it this year especially with the release of Moto X in the UK. I have heard rumors about a Moto Maker Tablet too. I honestly hope they don't come out with a new one this year. The launch was sort of flawed with AT&T exclusivity, the lack of moto maker, limitations with moto maker and being available on all the carries. And now the UK is going to go through that as well. Plus I have a feeling the Moto X can keep up with all the other flagship devices even if Samysung and others use 3GB of ram and Snapdragon in theirs. But then again technology changes so much in just 3-6 months.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Samsung Galaxy ace is running extremely slow, Ram usage sky high.
    By Rhys Edwards in forum Samsung Galaxy Ace
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2014, 11:24 AM
  2. 2 way sync google contacts with Moto G is not working
    By User899 in forum Moto G (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2014, 04:01 AM
  3. Where is the "storage" in skyrocket? (hardware)
    By hell911 in forum Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM
  4. My device is stuck on the google logo with the unlock screen
    By Enzocagg in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM
  5. Still no 4.4.2 update Moto G UK
    By shmeeeel in forum Moto G (2013)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions