Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Brand new Moto X, and made sure all system updates are up-to-date. I only need 3 home screens, however it has five, and I can't figure out how to get rid of the excess screens. There are no icons on them, and it doesn't appear the google search launcher is removable. From my understanding, 4.4 Kit Kat should just auto remove excess blank home screens, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I am unable to re-arrange my home screens. I thought I should just be able to tap and hold and then it will let me re-arrange my home screens, but instead it gives me options for changing my wallpaper.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    You would either need to install a third-party launcher or do what I did-install the google experience launcher. It will only add screens as you need them. It is standard only on the Nexus 5, but you can install on anything.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Talbot View Post
    Brand new Moto X, and made sure all system updates are up-to-date. I only need 3 home screens, however it has five, and I can't figure out how to get rid of the excess screens. There are no icons on them, and it doesn't appear the google search launcher is removable. From my understanding, 4.4 Kit Kat should just auto remove excess blank home screens, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I am unable to re-arrange my home screens. I thought I should just be able to tap and hold and then it will let me re-arrange my home screens, but instead it gives me options for changing my wallpaper.
    Yeah, I find this really annoying as well. I don't know why they won't let you delete the extra home screens if you don't want/need them. This is a big reason I installed Nova Launcher. You can customize that part, and a lot more. But it's annoying that the stock launcher won't let you do it.
    mjhaviland likes this.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,827 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,318 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    I agree with adding Nova.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Ok, sounds good. I'll fiddle around with Nova. Thanks all.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I concur with the suggestions to install Nova. It has worked like a charm for me. The individualization it offers is worth it. Go ahead and get the Prime version.

    Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    To piggyback re: Nova, what setting do I use so that when moving from home page screen left or right, it doesn't look like a cube, but just slides over like the stock launcher?
  8. #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,827 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,318 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Nova settings>desktop>scroll effect.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Paisley likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Nova settings>desktop>scroll effect.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Other than deleting homescreens, what are some other very popular NL features/benefits?
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,827 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,318 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Other than deleting homescreens, what are some other very popular NL features/benefits?
    Color themes, grid layout in the desktop and app drawer, to name a few.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Paisley likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    I would like to fill one of my empty screens with a full screen calendar like my HTC Rezound had! Chris

    Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app
  12. #12  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by snoking View Post
    I would like to fill one of my empty screens with a full screen calendar like my HTC Rezound had! Chris

    Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app
    Business calendar has some good widgets of various sizes

    -Moto X-
  13. #13  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Color themes, grid layout in the desktop and app drawer, to name a few.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    To add to this, you can also change the icon theme (there are tons of different icon packs in the Play Store) and even choose individual icons. Plus, there's gesture support for easy shortcuts to just about anything(though, I'm not sure how many of the gestures are available in the free version). I use the Swipe Down gesture for easy access to my notification shade.
    Paisley likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    I've currently got 5 launchers on my Moto X that I alternate between just for variety. Stock Home Launcher, Google Experience Launcher, Aviate, Nova Prime and Atom.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Hi, guys. I want to share something. You don't have to download anything. You can follow these steps:
    1-) Go to any panel, either the one with empty spaces or to the totally empty one.
    2-) Put two fingers separately, the drag them together the same way you want to zoom out a photo, a reading, etc.
    3-) Then you'll see which panel is empty and you can drag it to the trash can. That's it ;-)
    weksa and JSatch like this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Great.. Your suggestion works. No need for other bloatware or apps.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by keilita View Post
    Hi, guys. I want to share something. You don't have to download anything. You can follow these steps:
    1-) Go to any panel, either the one with empty spaces or to the totally empty one.
    2-) Put two fingers separately, the drag them together the same way you want to zoom out a photo, a reading, etc.
    3-) Then you'll see which panel is empty and you can drag it to the trash can. That's it ;-)
    Wow. Did know about this. I use Apex for its other features and to delete extra screens. But again very nice tip.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Are you sure this metod works!!?? I tried several times but it doesnt work...

    Posted via the Android Central App
  19. #19  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by lambrosio View Post
    Are you sure this metod works!!?? I tried several times but it doesnt work...

    Posted via the Android Central App
    I tried this with the stock launcher on my Moto X 2013 running 4.4.4 and it doesn't work for me either. But then, that's why I usually use either Google Now Launcher or Nova Launcher Prime.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    1. From a home screen, pinch in on the screen.
    2. Select and hold the appropriate panel then drag and drop it on Remove (located at the top)

    It was failing for me too, but I guess I was doing it wrong at first, I think u hav to hold and drag at the top of the panel.

    Android 4.4 on Samsung Galaxy

    Posted via the Android Central App
  21. #21  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikie Tau View Post
    1. From a home screen, pinch in on the screen.
    2. Select and hold the appropriate panel then drag and drop it on Remove (located at the top)

    It was failing for me too, but I guess I was doing it wrong at first, I think u hav to hold and drag at the top of the panel.

    Android 4.4 on Samsung Galaxy

    Posted via the Android Central App
    But...

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
  22. #22  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Hi, Moto X 4.4.4 on Verizon. When I try to pinch on any of the blank home screens it pops a wallpaper selection dialog box. How are others with Moto X 4.4.4. able to delete home screens without installing 3rd party launchers?

    Any info greatly appreciated.

    --jay
  23. #23  
    cindylike24's Avatar

    Posts
    284 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Carrier
    4.2.2 Tablet/4.3 Phone

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
    Hi, Moto X 4.4.4 on Verizon. When I try to pinch on any of the blank home screens it pops a wallpaper selection dialog box. How are others with Moto X 4.4.4. able to delete home screens without installing 3rd party launchers?

    Any info greatly appreciated.

    --jay
    I have the exact opposite issue as you do. I wanted to be able to add pages to mine because with my Samsung Galaxy S3, I was so used to having 7 pages to have my setup on that it was driving me nuts trying to get everything that I needed on 5 pages. The only way I could get my 7 pages for my setup was to install a 3rd party launcher (Nova Launcher). I'm able to get my widget setup just the way that I wanted it with that launcher.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
    Hi, Moto X 4.4.4 on Verizon. When I try to pinch on any of the blank home screens it pops a wallpaper selection dialog box. How are others with Moto X 4.4.4. able to delete home screens without installing 3rd party launchers?

    Any info greatly appreciated.

    --jay
    I believe there to be misinformation in this thread. You can't get rid of the extra screens on the default launcher.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: How do I remove excess empty home screens on the Moto X running 4.4?

    Not sure about Moto X, but I noticed on my S5, I had to put an app/widget on the screen. If the screen was blank, it wouldn't move. After I dragged an icon to the screen, I was able to press and hold (one finger) and simply drag the whole screen to the trash can. I'm now down to 3 screens on stock 4.4.4.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's with the 3gb of ram?
    By Madd54 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 06:18 PM
  3. How to update Galaxy Nexus from 4.0.2 to 4.2
    By esquishems in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM
  4. Issue with finding contact with Google Now on Moto X
    By simplydf in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
  5. Screen not waking up when new text arrive
    By glenninduluth in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions