Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alphabets
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: White vs Black front

I am getting ready to order a new Moto X and would like some feedback of the white front vs the black front. Specifically interested in how the screen looks and how the two might wear over time. FWIW I am considering either the matte black or olive back. Thanks!

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Default Re: White vs Black front

I can't say much about long term wear, but I will say that the black front really does blend well with the display. Wouldn't make a big difference on most phones, but on the Moto X it works really well with Active Notifications where the majority of the screen is black. It's a little hard to describe but it's a very sleek look where you don't notice the bezels at all. If you want more of a framed look go for the white, but if I were going for the matte black back I would definitely be considering the all-black rather than the panda look.

Quote Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
    I am getting ready to order a new Moto X and would like some feedback of the white front vs the black front. Specifically interested in how the screen looks and how the two might wear over time. FWIW I am considering either the matte black or olive back. Thanks!
    My wife has woven white back and white front. I have woven black back and black front. The screen portion will look the same either way when it's turned on, just depends if you like the white or black above and below the screen when you're looking at it. I just like the black because when the screen is off, it looks like one continuous black screen. Wear shouldn't be any different I wouldn't think, but we both have cases on our phones most of the time, so can't say for certain. One thing I'd point out about the backs is that some have a soft touch feel and others have a smooth finish. When you choose your back color on Motomaker, the description tells which type of finish each back has. For the most part, the darker colors have the soft touch feel which has a bit more grip versus the smooth finish which is kind of slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
    2nd the blend. And this is kinda random but the white kinda reminds me of a samsung, which is one negative for me. lol. Infact, I was even in a huge hurry (huge) and accidently picked up my friend's galaxy. blech. lol.

I only got the white cuz i felt it was a better match for me with the teal back. Otherwise i'da gotten black.

I went white white bc I never had a white phone before. Just go with whatever design concept you prefer and don't worry about the rest.
    Paisley likes this.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

I went with sold black back with a black front and yellow accents and love how hit looks (I think it would have looked good with red or orange accents as well or possibly a navy back) and my wife went with royal blue back with black front and silver accents, but it's your own personal preference. I always choose black phones over white phones because I think they look a little sleeker and the display blends into the screen when the screen is off, making the bezel less noticeable.

I think black is the "safer" choice because it's the most unobtrusive. Having said that, I decided to get a white front with my royal blue backed phone and am very happy with my selection. When I'm using my phone the bezel "disappears" regardless of color, especially with the bright vibrant screen of the Moto X!

One minor plus for the white phone for me: I'm forever forgetting where I set it down and the white face makes it a lot easier to spot than some of my prior "black slab" type phones that I've had. Being able to say "Ok Google Now Find my phone" helps, but if I can visually see it immediately it's a bit faster.

As some others have mentioned, I think the more important aspect (if you're not going to use a case) is get a color that has the soft touch back. It's the best handfeel of any phone I've ever had.

For me the black front makes the screen seem larger than it is.

Personally, I love the way the front of the phone looks like a slab of black glass when the screen is off. Plus, I like using No Wallpaper (basically, a black wallpaper) so it appears that the entire front of mine phone is black with icons simply there in the glass.

To me, the white front is very ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    To me, the white front is very ugly.
    Yeah, I think with most phones with white fronts look kind of cheap. Even the iPhone. I like the black front because all the speakers, microphones and such disappear into the surface of the front. And when viewing the screen in a darker environment, the white borders are distracting (to me).

It really is a personal preference issue. Get what you like. If one version appeals to you more than the other, I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with it.

Default Re: Moto X: White vs Black front

I always liked black for the reasons Jephanie mentioned. But I got white which I think looks great with the navy back I chose. I've really grown to like the white front even though it initially turned me off in stores. After you own it, you don't really scrutinize the bezel or the black camera sensors so much.

So basically if you're torn, go with which color front coordinates best with your design.

Sent from my Moto X

Default Re: Moto X: White vs Black front

I have a black front with olive back (and silver accents) and I like how the front looks when the screens off. Looks sleek and the screen appears larger. Looks like a more clean device.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by effreyj View Post
    I went with sold black back with a black front and yellow accents and love how hit looks (I think it would have looked good with red or orange accents as well or possibly a navy back) and my wife went with royal blue back with black front and silver accents, but it's your own personal preference. I always choose black phones over white phones because I think they look a little sleeker and the display blends into the screen when the screen is off, making the bezel less noticeable.
    Would you be able to post a photo of the solid matte black back/Yellow accent thinking of going that direction instead of the woven, just never seen one other than Motomaker.

To me white (or any color) is just distracting when trying to watch a video. So, just like I prefer on my TV's at home for the same reason, I go with a black bezel around my phone screens too.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edge4U View Post
    Would you be able to post a photo of the solid matte black back/Yellow accent thinking of going that direction instead of the woven, just never seen one other than Motomaker.
    My only camera is my phone camera, but I can assure you that it looks really nice. I think that bright accents look better with dark color backs than a blue or silver accent does with a black back. Also, I don't like how the woven back looks. Something about it looks like it's artificially painted onto the phone.

Global Posts
    1,622 Global Posts
    Carrier
    HTC One stock

white allows the sensors and camera to be seen..