Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    24,821 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Quote Originally Posted by westiewanderer View Post
    what rom are you running here if you dont mind me asking?
    Stock Sprint. I have Xposed Framework installed with the Gravity Box module that allows me to make this change.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:
    westiewanderer likes this.

Default Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

very cool! Gonna have to tweak my sense five toolbox now...lol
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~

Default Re: Moto X: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Killing apps just to kill them, etc, is definitely not good unless they're misbehaving. Android does manage this fairly effectively on an as needed basis. Removing things from your recent apps by swiping them should not adversely effect performance, and it does not act as a "force close" to swipe them away.

Force closing apps is what is bad, not closing apps. Realistically, unless you're troubleshooting a specific problem, there isn't much of a need to micromanage (or manually manage at all) your running applications.

That is entirely separate from the recent tasks interface, for which there are apps and fixes as mentioned for those that modify their devices. The way I get around this is by filling my dock bar with 4 folders that contain almost everything that I use my device for, so going to the app drawer and the recent apps button is minimized by just knowing which folder the app I want is in.
    With due respect, do you have any Android documentation to support this? The conversation I linked to on G+ from an Android dev seems to say the opposite - that swiping away apps in the recent list does a soft-kill of the process and sends it an onTaskRemoved notification for the app to determine whether to re-launch the background tasks (reference: What Exactly Happens When You Swipe An Android App From the Recent Apps List?)

I ask not in a pedantic way, but with the point that any killing of a task with an app means that you will suffer additional power drain on re-launch of that app vs keeping it in the background active.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Not always.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoelerDroid View Post
    With respect, yes it does.

Since we're in the Moto X forums, that is. All Android 4+ devices with a dedicated app switch button will kill the app and restart its background process.
    hope this clear things up a bit

Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    davidnc likes this.
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Moto X: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

With due respect, do you have any Android documentation to support this? The conversation I linked to on G+ from an Android dev seems to say the opposite - that swiping away apps in the recent list does a soft-kill of the process and sends it an onTaskRemoved notification for the app to determine whether to re-launch the background tasks (reference: What Exactly Happens When You Swipe An Android App From the Recent Apps List?)

I ask not in a pedantic way, but with the point that any killing of a task with an app means that you will suffer additional power drain on re-launch of that app vs keeping it in the background active.
    I don't see anything in your post or the link that disagrees with what I said. We seem to all agree that the recent apps list does not force close an app the same way that a task killer is, and thus is lighter on the system than using a task killer or hitting the force stop button would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    And on my Moto X, when I open up Play Music and play a song, swipe away the app in the recents app screen, the music is still playing. Therefore, not completely killed.
    LoL thats one of the ones it doesn't kill
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    If there's twenty windows open that means you use twenty apps. I get that they get in the way sometimes, but it sounds like it's doing exactly what it's designed to do. Not trying to argue really.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    So i'm trying to not close anything as an experiment, now my question is, so do you leave every single app you've ever opened, open?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    So i'm trying to not close anything as an experiment, now my question is, so do you leave every single app you've ever opened, open?
    Yes I do. I don't swipe anything away. That doesn't mean every single app is kept in memory, though. The way Android memory management works is that when memory is need the oldest app is kicked out of memory. So there's still a possibility that the app will completely reload when you go to it from the recent app list. I would say (and this is a guess) that I've never actually reopened an app from the recent app list that was more than 10 apps "old".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

One of the annoying things that was mentioned is that when you go to recents and swipe it away, music app continues in the background.

In the developer settings.
    As decribed in How-toGeek at howtogeek
    " 8 Things You Can Do In Android’s Developer Options"

There is a setting called
    Don’t keep activities if you enable it then it kills the music app when you swipe it on recents.

How To Geek says is will slow down your phone.

I compensated for that by following their advise and
    Disabled Animations, It will be interesting to see how it affects the rest of my phone. So far no change.

My reason is that the easiest way for me to turn off my Music Audible etc...is to swipe it from recents instead of searching for a tiny
    pause bar, so as long as it doesn't slow down my phone too much or cause unexpected behavior I'm good with a little slower or more use of juice.

You really REALLY do not want to ever do this. Most who want to do this are coming from the Donut / Froyo / Gingerbread model where this was the only way to ensure your phone lasted any reasonable amount of time on battery.

There's been official reply after reply (mostly in Google I/O sessions from the devs themselves) that has said this is a bad idea and actually hurts battery life pretty dramatically on Android 4+. The reasoning is simple - it now takes more CPU/resources to restart an app (when you inevitably open it again) than it did to keep it running in the background. Android now also does a nearly perfect job of resource management, whereby it kills the oldest task to free up RAM if need be.
    I'm curious if carrier store reps still suggest the whole kill-app-to-save-battery-thing for customers with tech problems, or if they've been better trained that the newest phones and versions of Android no longer need that. I know a few years ago that was pretty much what everyone recommended whenever people had problems.
    Nexus 6, Midnight Blue
    Previously: Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front) - Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones

Hi bro,

Can you tell me how exactly you rooted.

I've succesfully unlocked the bootloader and then I tried to flash recovery (twrp|cwm|cwm touch|super boot windows.bat) but nothing worked, I get error called "BOOT UNFAILED"

Not sure how to complete the final ROOT section. Can you guide me please. Give me the exact download link to ROOT file.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123