Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeNM84
  • 1 Post By itic
  • 1 Post By ShoelerDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Worth it to pay the extra and get the Dev model?

Coming from a Droid RAZR (died last week) and currently trying out the LG G2. Don't like the size of the G2 but want the 32GB so need to go the X dev option route. What would I be missing (outside of the Verizon bloat) on this phone vs the regular 16GB Verizon model? Wouldn't plan on modifying too much outside of Google Play apps and such.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Worth it to pay the extra and get the Dev model?

I guess I mean paying the $450 for the dev model vs paying $150 for the 32gb Verizon model.

It's $99 for the 32 GB Verizon model from the MotoMaker site. Also, with the dev model, you lose the active notifications and the touchless control, which are the best features of the phone!

Quote Originally Posted by effreyj View Post
    Also, with the dev model, you lose the active notifications and the touchless control, which are the best features of the phone!
    I have the Dev edition and I still have touchless control and active notifications...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's $99 for the 32 GB Verizon model from the MotoMaker site. Also, with the dev model, you lose the active notifications and the touchless control, which are the best features of the phone!
    Ok glad I asked because that is what I was looking forward to the most! Does the Verizon version from Moto ship with KK like they now do directly from Verizon?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by justingraeff View Post
    I have the Dev edition and I still have touchless control and active notifications...
    If I'm not going to mess around with the phone all that much but just want 32gb is it worth the extra $$ to bump up to the dev edition?

What are you talking about??? The dev edition is exactly the same plus the ability to unlock the bootloader. I know I have the the phone. Unlocked Rooted and running eclipse rom.. I still and always have had active notifications and touchless controls.

Also the phone my be 99 bucks...ON CONTRACT. If you have unlimited data and want to keep it than the phone will be 399. add a extra 50 bucks for dev edition. worth it IMO.

if you want a unlockable bootloader get the dev edition. Much easier to root, and always will be thanks to a unlocked bootloader

My bad...I assumed that the dev edition was just stock android and didn't have those features. Also, I know that the $99 is on contract (I bought mine for $350 off contract). I was answering his question where he said it was $150 on contract.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

The only difference is the unlocked bootloader. Everything else is the same, including the price 32 GB vs 32 GB. You just can't do motomaker for the Dev edition.
    Thanked by:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.

Both are the same in that both are SIM unlocked and their bootloaders are locked. The difference is that with the developer variant you can unlock the bootloader and still retain the warranty whereas if you unlock the bootloader on the non developer variant it violates the warranty. So it comes down to whether you want to have an unlocked bootloader or not.
    The "infraction"
    Thanked by:
    JoeNM84 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by itic View Post
    Both are the same in that both are SIM unlocked and their bootloaders are locked. The difference is that with the developer variant you can unlock the bootloader and still retain the warranty whereas if you unlock the bootloader on the non developer variant it violates the warranty. So it comes down to whether you want to have an unlocked bootloader or not.
    Only the Tmobile version is SIM unlocked off contract. If you buy the AT&T version even off contract it is still SIM locked to AT&T. If you want an unlocked SIM you have to buy either the Tmobile or Dev Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dswann3 View Post
    If I'm not going to mess around with the phone all that much but just want 32gb is it worth the extra $$ to bump up to the dev edition?
    No.

Not necessarily*

With the DE, you can buy the very-inexpensive-but-awesome Moto additional warranty which includes everything except intentional damage and replacement cost is something like $30 for up to 3 replacements. It's the absolute best and cheapest available and destroys carrier-based plans.
    Thanked by 2:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.

Default Re: Moto X: Worth it to pay the extra and get the Dev model?

You can get the 32GB version for $399 from Moto Maker, but yes you have to use VZW insurance. If you want to customize the outside, go that route. If you want to customize the "inside", get the Dev edition.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL

Haha... I also have Vzw DE moto x and I have active notifications and touchless controls...

Posted via my Moto X Vzw DE

That's funny. I have the DE model and both are present.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Dswann3 View Post
    I think so. Theoretically it will be worth more when you finally sell it. I know i got about $100 more than the eBay average for my. DE Note 2. $465 when most where going for between ($250 & $350)

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itic View Post
    Re-read Moto's website. Once you unlock the bootloader, the warranty is void.

But thats what i said
    The "infraction"

Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post

Developer Editions RETAIN FULL WARRANTY even after unlocking the bootloader. https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-a

Halfway down the page: "You have only yourself to blame. Unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader."

Quote Originally Posted by KWKSLVR View Post

Not anymore. They changed their tune late last year in one of their many good moves for the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelerDroid View Post
    Not necessarily*

With the DE, you can buy the very-inexpensive-but-awesome Moto additional warranty which includes everything except intentional damage and replacement cost is something like $30 for up to 3 replacements. It's the absolute best and cheapest available and destroys carrier-based plans.
    Not on Verizon. You still have to go through their program. There is no way to get the Moto extended warranty on any Moto X used on Verizon. It's a crock of hot garbage. But we can't do anything about it.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Ok, went the cheaper route & ordered the $99 32GB Verizon model last night. Looking forward to getting the phone next week! Thanks for all the input. Wish I could get the cheap Moto insurance as well but I'll take my chances without (as usual).

first of all.. im sorry, i am not familiar of this.. so here's my problem..
    Help! Tmobile's Moto X at moto maker vs developer edition. which is which
    i saw in the motomaker that Tmobile's moto x has gsm unlocked, 4g LTE and Global HSPA..
    what does it mean? i am from the philippines and really want this phone..
    can i use this in the philippines? do i still need to unlock? would it work there?

Quote Originally Posted by mozter View Post
    first of all.. im sorry, i am not familiar of this.. so here's my problem..
    Help! Tmobile's Moto X at moto maker vs developer edition. which is which
    i saw in the motomaker that Tmobile's moto x has gsm unlocked, 4g LTE and Global HSPA..
    what does it mean? i am from the philippines and really want this phone..
    can i use this in the philippines? do i still need to unlock? would it work there?
    buy any phone it will work
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat