Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Maps navigation freezing

Several times last week I was using Google Maps navigation and my position just completely froze for maybe a minute. It caused me to miss a turn at least once. The phone itself is still responsive, the app is not hung, just the location is not updating for a while. I didn't go through a tunnel or anything where you might expect the GPS signal to be obstructed. Anyone else experience anything like that?

Default Re: Google Maps navigation freezing

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconFiend View Post
    Several times last week I was using Google Maps navigation and my position just completely froze for maybe a minute. It caused me to miss a turn at least once. The phone itself is still responsive, the app is not hung, just the location is not updating for a while. I didn't go through a tunnel or anything where you might expect the GPS signal to be obstructed. Anyone else experience anything like that?
    have you tried updating maps app?
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    have you tried updating maps app?
    All apps are fully up to date. Not rooted or anything unusual. Maybe my experience is unique.

Noticed this too. Had Bluetooth on and was playing Tune-In Radio

All apps are fully up to date. Not rooted or anything unusual. Maybe my experience is unique.
    I would just clear data/cache of maps app and try to set it up again
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    Noticed this too. Had Bluetooth on and was playing Tune-In Radio
    Hmm... I keep bluetooth on all the time, but it wasn't connected to anything, and I wasn't listening to music or anything else. I'll try clearing the cache, etc. Actually I should probably clear cache of Google Play Services, because I think that's where the location data comes from.

Keep posted. I actually just noticed this issues this past Sunday. Everything seemed to be fine before that.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well I was hoping that the recent update to Maps would have solved this, but it actually seems to be getting worse. I can't seem to pin down what's triggering it, because it did it after a fresh reboot too. I tested it with Google Maps and also with Waze. It's definitely a device problem because it's happening on both apps. Waze actually gives more information, it tells me "No GPS. Showing approximate location". This happens quite frequently, maybe once a minute, and lasts 10-20 seconds each occurrence, which can cause you to miss a turn. I tried different GPS modes, high precision (my default), battery saver, and device only, but all had the same symptoms. I hope 4.4.2 will fix this.

I've had exactly the same issues and it's maddening. I hope that an update to maps will cure it.

I wonder if this is the driving detection stepping on the toes of maps...

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    7,625 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I just saw this thread
    I haven't noticed anything odd .I use GPS/navigation as well as Trapster so far neither have froze up. Location has been accurately showing. If things change I will post back.
    Is when using Waze the issue occurs mostly? I haven't used Waze in a long time.

sent from my Moto X

I am keeping my eyes on this.....I am on 4.4.2 now with new maps
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I just saw this thread
    I haven't noticed anything odd .I use GPS/navigation as well as Trapster so far neither have froze up. Location has been accurately showing. If things change I will post back.
    Is when using Waze the issue occurs mostly? I haven't used Waze in a long time.
    No, not just with Waze. I first noticed it with Google Maps navigation. I just confirmed it last night with Waze, which is better about actually showing the error message instead of just freezing your position and leaving you to wonder what happened. It doesn't seem to happen every time I use navigation, but it's often enough that it's irritating. If the 4.4.2 update doesn't solve it, I'll probably have to get a warranty replacement.

ROM
    Mikg 2.61/Aggressive Free

I've had the freezing maps problem too. The nav arrow stops moving with me. It's making me crazy. I heard 4.4.2 will fix this. I certainly hope so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It has happened to me a couple times too. Maybe somebody could link motoforums to this thread.

Sent from my XT1053
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    It has happened to me a couple times too. Maybe somebody could link motoforums to this thread.
    I did link the moto forums back here (post here: https://forums.motorola.com/comment/762871)

I found another comment on xda-developers that looks promising for the pending 4.4.2 update. See here: xda-developers - View Single Post - GPS Continuously Loses Lock

Global Posts
    7,625 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I did link the moto forums back here (post here: https://forums.motorola.com/comment/762871)
    I saw that post on Motorola forums replied to it before seeing your post onto AC this morning .
    Looks like its a hit or miss some having the issue others not.Anyway who ever is affected I hope it gets fixed for ya that would be annoying.

I used GPS twice now without the issue on 4.4.2. Compass is also fixed with new maps update.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Yep, it looks like they nailed this bug with the 4.4.2 update. I've used GPS 4 times over 2 days and it was always right on with no pauses. And as kolyan2k said, it seems to have fixed the weird compass issue as well (where the pointer was in a notably different orientation than where you were actually driving) Thanks, Moto!