Broken Moto X for no reason... and question

mattjopete

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Moto X broke yesterday. I don't know how, the phone was in her coat pocket while she was at work and part way through the day she noticed that the phone's screen was messed up. The glass is not broken and there isn't a mark on the device itself. I really don't think she has ever dropped it or anything like that. Anyway, when I got home last night I called up Motorola support and after answering some questions, doing a restart and clearing the cache they gave us a code for a new MotoMaker phone. Once we get that new phone, how can I get her data off of it? The screen is getting progressively worse, and now only the top right side is usable. Here is a pic of what the screen looks like on bootup.

broken moto.jpgbroken moto 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Broken Moto for no reason... and question

My wife's Moto X broke yesterday. I don't know how, the phone was in her coat pocket while she was at work and part way through the day she noticed that the phone's screen was messed up. The glass is not broken and there isn't a mark on the device itself. I really don't think she has ever dropped it or anything like that. Anyway, when I got home last night I called up Motorola support and after answering some questions, doing a restart and clearing the cache they gave us a code for a new MotoMaker phone. Once we get that new phone, how can I get her data off of it? The screen is getting progressively worse, and now only the top right side is usable. Here is a pic of what the screen looks like on bootup.

View attachment 100914

Well her contacts should be synced with Google so those can be synced with the new phone no problem. I know you can plug the phone into a computer and retrieve any pictures and songs that way. At least in my experience going from one phone to the other my apps download to the new phone automatically as well. I don't know what else I can think of. But I haven't seen that happen to a phone before. At least Motorola is letting you all get a new phone. That's good to hear.

mattjopete

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I was hoping to use the Motorola Migrate app... it sets all your settings and ringtones and your wallpaper for you.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

How much and what kind of data do you need to get off? If it were my phone, I'd copy as much as I could to the computer and then wipe the phone while I can still see most of the screen. Do you have Android Device Manager set up? With that at least you could wipe it remotely if it is only the screen that is broken.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
You may be able to use Motorola migrate. Haven't tried it to see if the old Moto X can be used as a sending device.

Sent from my Moto X

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
If you want to try copying data directly from your Moto X to a PC, I can share a method that worked for me. I was having all kinds of problems copying stuff from my Moto X to my PC and finally found a way that did it reliably. (FYI - I tried MTP and PTP with USB debugging enabled and disabled. I also tried using Solid Explorer's SMB client to copy via WiFi. None of these methods worked. Copies were either incomplete or failed completely).

What I ended up doing was using adb to pull data from my phone to my PC. You'll need the drivers from Motorola's support site and the Android SDK. Information on installing the SDK and then downloading adb (which is bundled with platform-tools, I think) can be found with a quick Google search.

Once you've got everything setup, the following command can be used to copy everything from your phone to a directory on your PC:

adb pull /storage/emulated/legacy c:\directory\of\your\choice

Yes, it's a PITA but if your data's important to you, it might be worth the effort.

mattjopete

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
adb is a good idea, I was really worried about wiping the data as most of the screen is useless now. I just hope we get the new one before we go out of town this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel