Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X aftermarket wireless charging?

I'm waiting for my Moto X to be shipped, but has anybody played with these aftermarket wireless charging receivers yet?

Amazon.com: [Aftermarket Product] Type A Micro USB Qi Wireless Universal Charger Pad Receiver Coil For Smartphone: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Amazon.com: LuguLake Micro USB 2.0 QI Wireless Charger Receiver Tag Coil For LG G2 HUAWEI Q10 HTC One Samsung Galaxy HTC DESIRE AMAZON KINDLE 4 AMAZON FIRE SONY ERICSSON XPERIA X2 X10 MINI Erics Eperia X10 NOKIA MINI N97 6500 N82 6600 HTC HD HD2 HD7

They seem somewhat universal, and I've seen people talk about using them for various other phones. I want wireless charging but I don't want a bulky case like the Incipio If there was a way to hack one of these charging coils into the original phone casing it would be a good start. Otherwise maybe some minimal/thin case just to hold it on?

From the picture on the LuguLake amazon page they look like they hardly stick out at all from the USB port, which is nice. Biggest downside would be that it isn't a pass-through so you would have to disconnect/reconnect the coil to use a regular USB charger.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Moto X aftermarket wireless charging?

Gonna just reply to my own post....

I came across a thread over at xda with a few people working on this: Beginning the journey of Wireless Charging - xda-developers

Doesn't look like anybody has cracked it yet but they seem pretty close. It seems like it's going to be a seriously warranty-voiding operation.

Global Posts
    20,811 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I am not sure if I would do that myself. But that is my point of view.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    davidnc likes this.

Have you looked into this more? I was looking at getting the Qi coil from amazon and putting it between my phone and 3rd party case, my only concern is how big the plug in is and if it has sharp edges.

Qi standard charges ur phone much slower. So are you sure u want something like that

Sent from my HTC One

I remember seeing a post on here or xda where soneone modified their moto x with that coil. It registered on the charger, but it wouldn't charge the phone

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by achiquitachaser View Post
    I remember seeing a post on here or xda where soneone modified their moto x with that coil. It registered on the charger, but it wouldn't charge the phone

I saw that post, too. I decided to try it myself anyway, and I had the same result. I bought a "Wireless Charger for 5 Pin Micro USB, Wireless charger Qi standard". I also bought a very thin, light case, and I borrowed my husband's Qi charger, which works fine with an aftermarket Qi charging coil for his Samsung Galaxy S4. The micro-USB bit fit neatly into the phone, and the coil fit neatly between the phone and the case, and when I put it on the charger, the charger said "I see something!". But the phone didn't register that it was charging.

I haven't tried leaving it there to see if it just charges really slowly (and doesn't register.) That's possible. I have a car charger that seems to work that way -- the phone doesn't recognize it is being charged, but I can leave it on and running navigation and it doesn't seem to run down, either. But it certainly wasn't a smashing success. I was pretty disappointed.

That is a bummer. I was hoping someone would have have some success

After typing that I tried leaving the phone in my husband's charger for a couple of hours, and it worked! It never showed that it was charging, but it was at 81% when I put it in, and 100% when I took it out.

I may glue the charging coil into the case to make it less fragile.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I find the lack of wireless charging a pain also.
    This is a solution that works. Great.
    However,
    Can overcharging damage the phone,
    because the phone doesn't "know" it's being charged?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,170 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Phalgun Gujjar View Post
    Qi standard charges ur phone much slower. So are you sure u want something like that

Sent from my HTC One
    Not true. My Maxx charges great with the wireless charger.

I would be interested to know if the phone knows to stop charging if the indicator isn't showing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldDummy View Post
    I find the lack of wireless charging a pain also.
    This is a solution that works. Great.
    However,
    Can overcharging damage the phone,
    because the phone doesn't "know" it's being charged?

Which coil did you use? I've ordered 65M-B Universal Qi Wireless Charger Receiver Module w/ Micro USB - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme but it is taking forever to arrive.

I used a PALM charger coil to do another phone:

Had to take the phone apart to solder some jumpers to the board. It worked fine but that phone had a removable back. I left the back off and it made room for the coil stuck to the inside of a case. Pretty tedious operation but doable. The X has NFC stuff in the back too...

I ordered something from China that I found on eBay. Hmm, I wonder how to attach a photo... does tapatalk do that?

Moto X aftermarket wireless charging?-uploadfromtaptalk1391603308576.jpgMoto X aftermarket wireless charging?-uploadfromtaptalk1391603336687.jpgMoto X aftermarket wireless charging?-uploadfromtaptalk1391603351407.jpg

I guess it does. :-)

Looks cool! How thin is the USB connector?

Can you post a link?

Also, I saw this for the iPhone, maybe they can make one with a microUSB instead of the lightning connector.

i5 Wireless Charging Receiver For iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPod Touch

I don't know what you will see on this link

Universal Qi Wireless Charging Charger Receiver Tag Coil with Micro USB Head | eBay

It says "The listing below has been updated by the seller, but you can see the item you purchased."

I don't understand the question about how thin the connector is. It is a standard sized connector that fits in the micro USB port at the bottom of the phone. Are you asking how far it sticks out? Less than the case.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I don't know what you will see on this link

Universal Qi Wireless Charging Charger Receiver Tag Coil with Micro USB Head | eBay

It says "The listing below has been updated by the seller, but you can see the item you purchased."

I don't understand the question about how thin the connector is. It is a standard sized connector that fits in the micro USB port at the bottom of the phone. Are you asking how far it sticks out? Less than the case.
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering. Any pics with it installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff Woohoo View Post
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering. Any pics with it installed?
    Probably not, or at least, not for a while. That would require a lot more work than just snapping some quick shots and telling tapatalk to use them. Id have to use a real camera, download the photos, export them from iPhoto (which has gotten strangely protective) and then upload them to this site.

I'll be modding mine to work with my Touchstone. See my sig for my Galaxy Nexus mod. Unfortunately, the Moto X will require soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    I'll be modding mine to work with my Touchstone. See my sig for my Galaxy Nexus mod. Unfortunately, the Moto X will require soldering.
    Take pictures! And please post them if it works.

I have a bunch of old Touchstones that I would be happy to put back into service.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391603308576.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	768.3 KB 
ID:	103479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391603336687.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	103480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391603351407.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	103481
    Great post! My Moto X would be perfect if it had Qi charging built in, a better camera in low light, and a black back.

That said, your mod may fix one of my gripes, but I can't answer this question from looking at your pics. Is the USB port on the phone dedicated to the charger, or does the charger plugin have a female side where you can connect a USB cable (i.e. data transfer, USB OTG, etc) to the phone without unplugging the charger? If not, do you need to remove the case to free up the USB port for other uses? Let me know if this question isn't clear...

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast