Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

asdrew

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

Also in stock @ Griffin: Vehicle Dock for Moto X | Griffin Technology

I had one in the Motorola cart in early December then removed it because Shipping was too high - I think because it was last one they had then lol,
When it wasn't available, the price was good though...Moto X dock.JPG

Too bad I finally gave up and got a Ram-X mount :/

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I really wanted this, but I'm glad I got something else instead. Why would you not make the charging port accessible on a nav dock? GPS eats through a phone battery so fast! I always plug mine in when I'm using nav. I feel like this is a huge design flaw in this dock.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I really wanted this, but I'm glad I got something else instead. Why would you not make the charging port accessible on a nav dock? GPS eats through a phone battery so fast! I always plug mine in when I'm using nav. I feel like this is a huge design flaw in this dock.

I'm 99% certain that this dock has a charging port, it's just that the photos on the Moto website don't show it. If you look at the Griffin website they state that it has a charging port (but oddly enough no pictures), but if you youtube it you'll see that it does Moto X Griffin Vehicle Car Dock Review - YouTube

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm 99% certain that this dock has a charging port, it's just that the photos on the Moto website don't show it. If you look at the Griffin website they state that it has a charging port (but oddly enough no pictures), but if you youtube it you'll see that it does Moto X Griffin Vehicle Car Dock Review - YouTube

They really ought to make that more clear on their website. That makes it much more appealing. I'm still glad I went with something else because I tend to get new phones very often, so a universal one is probably better for me in the long run, despite how sleek and sexy this one is.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I had wanted the car mount, but it wasn't available, and I ended up getting a Kenu Airframe

Kenu Airframe - Kenu

I'm really happy with it. It holds the phone securely, it's easy to pop the phone in and out, and it's easy to grab the whole mount and take it on vacation to use in a rental car. I even lent it to a friend who was giving me a ride, because she had a really awkward mount.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried the one for the Maxx on my wife's phone at the Verizon store. They say you can use a case but I think it would need to be extremely thin. It's tight even without a case. I think over time it would be really tough on the usb port too. The way you put the phone in seems to put some stress on it. It looks nice but i think they could have put more thought into it.

Posted via Android Central App

tender

Jan 13, 2010
terpconnect.umd.edu
Griffin dock is nice, but I prefer iOttie

I received the Navigation Dock for Moto X by Griffin yesterday. It is solid and does have the ability to charge the Moto X while docked if you plug your charger into the port on the back of the dock. It also enables car mode via a hidden magnet. For my car it is not adjustable enough. I could not mount it where I wanted and have the screen at a usable angle. This dock is now in my wife's car for her Moto X, and it works fine there.

I already had the iOttie Easy One Touch dock. Last night I added a small magnet using crazy glue and now I can dock my Moto X and car mode is enabled. The iOttie is much more adjustable than the Griffin and it will stick to almost anything. I have my Moto X mounted where I want it, turned sideways so it does not block my view of the road, and car mode makes that work. I have a charging cable wrapped around the base of the iOttie dock and it takes a second to plug it into my Moto X when needed.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Griffin dock is nice, but I prefer iOttie

I received the Navigation Dock for Moto X by Griffin yesterday. It is solid and does have the ability to charge the Moto X while docked if you plug your charger into the port on the back of the dock. It also enables car mode via a hidden magnet. For my car it is not adjustable enough. I could not mount it where I wanted and have the screen at a usable angle. This dock is now in my wife's car for her Moto X, and it works fine there.

I already had the iOttie Easy One Touch dock. Last night I added a small magnet using crazy glue and now I can dock my Moto X and car mode is enabled. The iOttie is much more adjustable than the Griffin and it will stick to almost anything. I have my Moto X mounted where I want it, turned sideways so it does not block my view of the road, and car mode makes that work. I have a charging cable wrapped around the base of the iOttie dock and it takes a second to plug it into my Moto X when needed.

Where exactly did you place the magnet on the iottie?

tender

Jan 13, 2010
terpconnect.umd.edu
iOttie with Magnets

Where exactly did you place the magnet on the iottie?

Here is a picture of where I placed the magnet. I did not use any special magnets, just something small I had. Used krazy glue to keep it in place. Works great, I really like the iOttie setup, can insert and remove the Moto X one handed.

I removed a small piece of foam on the clamp/arm and glued the magnet there. When the clamp is closed, the magnet is close enough to enable car mode, but does not actually touch the phone. Works with the Snap Case for Moto X by Incase

IMG_20140123_104827698_HDR.jpg IMG_20140123_104818683_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: iOttie with Magnets

Here is a picture of where I placed the magnet. I did not use any special magnets, just something small I had. Used krazy glue to keep it in place. Works great, I really like the iOttie setup, can insert and remove the Moto X one handed.

I removed a small piece of foam on the clamp/arm and glued the magnet there. When the clamp is closed, the magnet is close enough to enable car mode, but does not actually touch the phone. Works with the Snap Case for Moto X by Incase

View attachment 101811 View attachment 101812

Thanks, nice setup. I just got the Griffin dock and I'm not crazy about it (Luckily it was free). One other question, if you have the magnet then what's the purpose of the NFC tag? OK, I lied, a second question, does the clamp interfere or touch the volume and/or power buttons? It looks like it would hit them.

Last edited:

tender

Jan 13, 2010
terpconnect.umd.edu

Thanks, nice setup. I just got the Griffin dock and I'm not crazy about it (Luckily it was free). One other question, if you have the magnet then what's the purpose of the NFC tag? OK, I lied, a second question, does the clamp interfere or touch the volume and/or power buttons? It looks like it would hit them.

The NFC tag is to unlock the phone, it came with the Skip. When I put the phone in the dock, it stays unlocked, which is useful while driving and using voice commands. In those pictures, the top of the Moto X would be at the right of the dock, power and volume buttons on top, does not interfere.

I like the Griffin, but it is very limited in how it can be adjusted for a better view. The iOttie is much more adjustable. But the Griffin does work fine is my wife's car, used it last night to navigate. Phone goes in very easy, car mode enabled, and charged. If it worked better for my car, I would use that. But the iOttie is universal, so I could be used for other phones, plus it was less than $20.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

But the iOttie is universal, so I could be used for other phones, plus it was less than $20.

Darn it! I think I just paid $25 for it on Amazon. Anyway I wanted to try it because the suction cup is supposed to be strong. My last universal arm kept falling off particularly when temps dip down to 40 and below.

Plus I don't feel the need to top off the charge on my Moto X all the time like I did with my Rezound.

I may order the griffin dock in the future if I can get it on sale.

Sent from my Moto X

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Hi everyone,

When I put my X in the Griffin dock, the phone automatically runs Car Home Ultra. For those who are not familiar with Car Home Ultra, it is an app that is driving friendly.

My question is how does the phone knows to run Car Home Ultra? The app is not designed specially for the X. Can I customize a few more things to run when docked, in addtion to Car Home Ultra?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who bought this dock, what exactly does car mode do when you dock your phone?

I tried to invoke the car dock mode using the Trigger app, but that just does whatever your desk dock action is (Daydream, etc.)

Sent from my Moto X

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the USB will also do audio out when in the dock? My old RAZR used to when plugged into the dock

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who bought this dock, what exactly does car mode do when you dock your phone?

I tried to invoke the car dock mode using the Trigger app, but that just does whatever your desk dock action is (Daydream, etc.)

Sent from my Moto X

It doesn't really do anything stock. I installed Car Home Ultra, so that launches on mine.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1