Moto X: Can you turn off the Touchless Control voice commands?

Kiakaren

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to disable the touchless control/ok google now voice business?
Would the phone function just as easily with only touch commands?
thanks!
karen

Last edited by a moderator:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can you turn off the Touchless Control voice commands?

As Gunnyman said, the options are easily accessible in the Settings interface. You shouldn't see any adverse effects; the phone will run just fine with Touchless Control disabled.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Piggybacking on this thread, just curious: Do you always have to say "OK, google now..." first to use the voice commands? Or can you shorten that somewhat? Not a huge deal but just curious since I think I'd be a little self-conscious saying that in public all the time.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Also piggy backing onto this thread can you use the voice commands with Nova, or another third party launcher or are they built into the launcher itself? I've been looking and digging into Moto X related questions and topics as I am thinking more and more about swapping my Note 3 for a Moto X.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes, Touchless Control voice commands can be accessed at any time. It doesn't matter what apps or launcher you are using. It doesn't matter if the phone's screen is off or on.

Uncle Remus

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I agree with the shorting of the activation phrase. At least down to just "OK Google".... How about "OK Moto"?

I haven't found a way, yet.

Hoot

Posted via Android Central App

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I agree with the shorting of the activation phrase. At least down to just "OK Google".... How about "OK Moto"?

Hoot

I would love it to be "COMPUTER!, ..."

I've said that to my girlfriend's smartphone before when I try to do something since I am on a Palm Centro. :)

(You probably have to be of a certain age or a sci-fi geek to get that.)

Seriously, even "Hey Google" would be much better. Or "Hey phone!" better yet but marketing wouldn't let them do that.

Last edited:

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Hoot

I had successfully trained mine to just ok google while back but it would falsely activate all the time, very annoying!

-Nexus 10-

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I really want to say "Hey Google!". I feel weird saying "Okay Google Now" even in the privacy of my own car.

If I'm being honest I feel like having to say that will make me use it a lot less.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I had successfully trained mine to just ok google while back but it would falsely activate all the time, very annoying!

-Nexus 10-

1. How did you do that?
2. Why would it falsely activate - because you said "google" without meaning activate it or because by training it, it made it react to your voice saying anything?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

1. How did you do that?
2. Why would it falsely activate - because you said "google" without meaning activate it or because by training it, it made it react to your voice saying anything?

1. I hit train launch phrase and said 'OK Google' 3 times
2. Not even me saying anything specifically, just random noises would activate it in my pocket resulting in the phone being awake and pocket dials, random pocket pics being taken, etc., sitting out with people talking it would turn on with the microphone and then 'not recognized' or what have you.

Bottom line it's just easier/works better to say ok Google now. It really isn't that awkward, especially when you show it off.

-Moto X-

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I've successfully trained mine to respond to just "OK Google" and don't get any false positive activations. Just make sure you do it in a DEAD silent room (without even ambient noise) and keep the phone at arm's length.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I trained mine with "OK Google" when I got the phone -- and I had laryngitis at the time -- and haven't had any problems. I've had maybe one instance of a false positive. I helped a friend (who was coming from an iPhone) set up her new Moto X, and she trained hers with OK Google as well, no problems. (We had to turn mine off while she trained hers!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair