Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is the big deal about Motomaker if you use a case?

I am seriously considering a Moto X for my first smartphone (finally), and was just wondering what the big deal about shell customization is if you are just going to use a case anyway?

I guess some people may not use a case but I would be going on AT&T prepaid and can't imagine not putting a case on a phone I just laid out $400 for, but I would also put one on a phone I would have to pay good money to replace if I was on contract.

Looks like a great phone other than non-replaceable battery (serious flaw, should be mandatory in every phone) and non-expandable memory.
    SpookDroid and del2327 like this.

Normally I don't bother with cases because I hate them.

I do have a completely clear case for my Moto Maker Moto X, though. Just because you get a case doesn't mean that you have to cover the design.
    jephanie likes this.

Default Re: What is the big deal about Motomaker if you use a case?

My point exactly.

But I guess you can always use a transparent case or just a bumper frame.

Try front and back screen protector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

Or use tempered glass for the front.

sent via tapatalk

Knowing i was going to be using a screen saver and case i just went triple black. Better resale and with phone theft what it is i just want to keep it simple looking anyway.
    The "infraction"

I use a bumper to get some protection but would be interested in finding a transparent one.

I think people who are getting a solid colored case just get one of the black or white ones that are in stock. I wanted to see the color so I got a clear case. My son just bought me a custom case with a photo of his brother that passed away and it's nice because I can still see the colors around the edges so it's the best of both worlds.

Posted via Android Central App
    David Coconut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by itic View Post
    with phone theft what it is i just want to keep it simple looking anyway.
    Actually, that's one of my reasons for getting my name engraved on mine. "You want to steal my phone? Well, my name is engraved on it."

We are a split household. DW has a black front blue black one in a blue Cimo case. I put a blue tropical wallpaper on hers. I have a black/black OTC one in a black Cimo case, with a dark Honda NSX/Prelude collage wall paper. Easy to tell them apart. Motomaker is a marketing tool, that appears to be popular. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

I held out for motomaker mainly to be able to get a 32gb model on Verizon. If 32 had been available in a store I could very well have had a plain X. But the custom colors, while icing on the cake, make me love the phone that much more.

I can still see my design through my clear Cimo case. The frosted section of the case looks good with the Navy back even though it does hide half of the back of my phone.

Sent from my Moto X

Would a tempered glass protector be enough protection?

I never use a case. I bought nice cases for two of my gadgets, and found that I didn't use them. They made the gadgets bulkier, and less accessible, and I just preferred to go bare. I do use a thin screen protector, but that's it.

I got the Moto-maker version because I wanted 32gb, so it was free and sort of fun. I ended up getting black anyway, but got magenta trim just so I could tell it was mine. I wouldn't have gone out of my way for it, but now that I have it, I like it.
    jpoulin587 likes this.

I only use a case in a situation where I worry I may have a better chance of dropping it. Going to a sporting event, concert, etc. I go case-less all day everyday at work and home.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Actually, that's one of my reasons for getting my name engraved on mine. "You want to steal my phone? Well, my name is engraved on it."
    I installed device mgr so when im being held up i have the pleasure of telling the ****** bag that the phone will be tracked and wiped and he robbed me for nothing..
    The "infraction"

I have the air jacket grip case from Motorola - really like it. Good slim protection, clear on the back and the sides match my button colors.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

I also have the MotoMaker edition. Not that it matters, but its black front with green back... I use a clear hard plastic case. Doesnt offer much protection from drops and etc. But it does protect the Green back from finger prints!

Motorola's rubber/plastic back is prone to finger prints. Especially if you have sweaty/oily hands.... it will stick.. So I went ahead and purchased a cheap "Air Jacket" like the one from Moto's site.. But mine only cost less than $6.00 shipped. MiniSuit is the brand and sells on Amazon. Working great thus far. But dont expect it to protect your phone when it drops onto the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    I held out for motomaker mainly to be able to get a 32gb model on Verizon. If 32 had been available in a store I could very well have had a plain X. But the custom colors, while icing on the cake, make me love the phone that much more.

I can still see my design through my clear Cimo case. The frosted section of the case looks good with the Navy back even though it does hide half of the back of my phone.

Sent from my Moto X

Same here. If they would have offered a 32gb version off the shelf, I would have just done that. I don't carry a phone without a cheapo case and screen protector. When they inevitably get dropped or scratched, peel off and put on a new one.

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

If you are going to use anything other than a clear case it is pretty silly to customize the phone. I haven't understood why it's a big deal to anyone since launch day.

Phones are pretty much a disposable item today. The next new and improved model is out before you know it and most people (especially those that frequent phone forums) sell their old phones and buy new ones. By "old", I mean 6 months to a year old because that is how long it takes for your phone to be considered "old and outdated". If you are going to sell your old phone, chances are you will get more money for it if it's not totally customized. Putting your name on it is really something that will lower the resale value of anything and if your phone is stolen, the thief has a phone with your name on it. No big deal for someone that receives the phone free of charge. If you plan on keeping your phone and using it on a daily basis throughout a 2 year contract I suppose it makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    Phones are pretty much a disposable item today. The next new and improved model is out before you know it and most people (especially those that frequent phone forums) sell their old phones and buy new ones. By "old", I mean 6 months to a year old because that is how long it takes for your phone to be considered "old and outdated".
    Most people do not sell phones that are only six months to a year old. I've met far more people who wait out their contracts before upgrading or who hang onto their phone for a much longer time than the length of their contract.
    Thanked by:

My blue/clear supcase compliments my developer edition nicely.

No case here because I love the phone as is, but I do have motorola insurance on the phone. I may at some point use it to get a new phone.

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just have a simple Black front, Navy Blue back, blue buttons. Simple. I don't like a case but their is clear cases and bumpers, and even if you choose to use a design case for a little, yours is still under it. Why buy a limited edition console or handheld design, well because it makes the device special to you.

I don't sell my phones, pretty much every single phone i have had, I still have it. I only get a new phone when my past one is outdated and slowing down, with the Moto X's optimzations, and the new trim thing, i imangine having it for a while. And as for the engraving and stealing, if you / police do catch the theif, or if its taken by a classmate or something a little less drastic, you can prove its yours.
    dmark44 likes this.

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

Most people do not sell phones that are only six months to a year old. I've met far more people who wait out their contracts before upgrading or who hang onto their phone for a much longer time than the length of their contract.
    I meet people in my personal life that have no desire to upgrade from Gingerbread or BBOS 5 and don't want anything to do with new phones but that's just because I don't hang with a techy crowd but that doesn't mean the rest of society is the same. Check out how many threads there are with people trading in their 6 month old phone for the newest thing on the market. Or people asking if they should buy an HTC One even though it's "so old" now. Check out the sales of HTC One and other phones that came out at the same time with the reason given, "because I'm upgrading to a new phone".

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    Check out how many threads there are with people trading in their 6 month old phone for the newest thing on the market. Or people asking if they should buy an HTC One even though it's "so old" now.
    Threads where? At tech sites?

Again, far from representative of "most" people.
    Thanked by:
    efyoiphone likes this.

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts

Threads where? At tech sites?

Again, far from representative of "most" people.
    Threads on this forum. You don't have to believe me or agree with me. Buy yourself a totally customized, engraved Moto X, an expensive case and have a good time.

Just curious.........What's your phone history, ultravisitor? Is the Moto X the first new phone in a few years?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast