Music and Ringtones

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
So I'm new to this whole android thing and am used to iTunes. I'm wondering how to get music on my phone. Do I have to download something special or can I use iTunes? My nephew told me I could just drag a song from my computer into my phone (when it's connected to the computer) but I tried that and it didn't work. I would love some tips on what is the easiest thing to do. I would also like to make some ringtones from songs. I downloaded an app, not sure which one but it was one that was suggested here, and am wondering if I have to keep the song I use on my phone or once it's made into a ringtone can I delete the original song? I'm excited to make my own ringtones. I liked having fun ones on my old basic phone and missed them on my iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
You can definitely drag and drop the files from iTunes, or alternatively, you can sync iTunes to your phone with the DoubleTwist app. "Ringtone Maker" is a good app that lets your use your music to create custom ringtones pretty easily. You don't need to keep the original song afterward.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can copy your music from your PC or Mac directly to your phone through a USB connection. The "how to" varies somewhat whether you are using a PC or Mac though. And of course, any DRM music will not play on your phone and you won't be able to transfer playlists using this method. Alternatively, there are apps that automate the process for you and some that can do it wirelessly once you have the app on your phone and the corresponding app on your computer.

I prefer to use Google Music to manage my music collection. With it you can sync your entire library (DRM excluded) for free up to 20,000 songs, including your playlists. Then all your music on your computer stays in sync with your phone. Your music streams to your phone through the Play Music app on your phone. You can also "pin" music (songs, albums, playlists) to your phone for offline listening. This is a very simple method to have all your music available to you on your phone (any phone with Google Play Music app) and not have to worry about constantly syncing your phone with your computer. It's worth checking out https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...google.com/about/music/unlock/&token=HQv_ib-E

Hope this helps

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
+1 on Google Play Music.

It's easy to get started. Download the Music Manager application and point it to where your iTunes music is stored. Google will then upload all of your music into Google Play Music ("the cloud"). Depending on your upload speeds, this could take a few hours - it's best to set this to happen overnight. Once your music is uploaded, you'll have access to all of your tracks via the Google Play Music on the web as well as the Google Play Music app for Android.

If you're on a data plan that's limited, you may not want to stream Google Play Music all of the time. If you know what songs you want to cache, you can "pin" them in the Android app. It's best to do this while you're on your home WiFi. I like to set up play lists and if I need to cache them for offline playback, I can "pin" the entire list to my device.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The downside to Google Play Music is that the music you pin to your device is not visible to other apps even your own uploaded music.

Why might that be a problem? For one, you can't access those files with Ringtone Maker. Nor with fitness apps that have built in music players.

I subscribe to Google Music All Access, so I do pin music I don't already own for offline listening. For my own music, I have copied files from my computer.

Google Play Music will see all of your locally stored files whether pinned or saved to the music folder.

Sent from my Moto X

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The original poster should definitely check out double twist or iSyncr if they like syncing with iTunes.

If you connect the Moto X to a PC, you can drag files in Windows Explorer to the music folder. You'll be connected via MTP mode which only allows to you to see the media folders on the phone and only transfers media files. Not sure how it works on Mac.

Sent from my Moto X

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I'm new to this whole android thing and am used to iTunes. I'm wondering how to get music on my phone. Do I have to download something special or can I use iTunes? My nephew told me I could just drag a song from my computer into my phone (when it's connected to the computer) but I tried that and it didn't work. I would love some tips on what is the easiest thing to do. I would also like to make some ringtones from songs. I downloaded an app, not sure which one but it was one that was suggested here, and am wondering if I have to keep the song I use on my phone or once it's made into a ringtone can I delete the original song? I'm excited to make my own ringtones. I liked having fun ones on my old basic phone and missed them on my iPhone.

I prefer to not make ringtones on my phone. On my phone through Dropbox, I copy MP3s already edited (~30 seconds for ringtones) to the media\audio\ringtones. For notifications (text alerts), I copy those sounds to media\audio\notifications.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm using isyncr on my Mac, and rocket player. That lets me sync play lists from iTunes on my Mac, and rocket player understands the play lists. I chose to sync manually when I am on WiFi, and keep a copy of everything I want to listen to on my phone (and on my computer, of course.)

As someone said, it's easy to copy any mp3 into a folder the phone recognizes a holding ring tones. Personally, I do my sound editing on my computer with audacity, but I'm sure there are lots of other ways to make ring tones.

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
You could try the "Nexus Media Importer" app. I was able to transfer old ringtones and songs from my Atrix HD's SD Card by using an OTG cord. Just drop them into the existing "Ringtones" folder in your phone's memory.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
It's confusing that the system ringtones live somewhere hidden, and not in this folder, but putting stuff here works.

It is a bit confusing. You need root access to get to the built in Ringtones. There were a couple of built in alarm and notification sounds I wanted from my old HTC phone. I ended up finding a custom ROM zip file on the web that I could copy them from.

Sent from my Moto X

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using isyncr on my Mac, and rocket player. That lets me sync play lists from iTunes on my Mac, and rocket player understands the play lists. I chose to sync manually when I am on WiFi, and keep a copy of everything I want to listen to on my phone (and on my computer, of course.)

As someone said, it's easy to copy any mp3 into a folder the phone recognizes a holding ring tones. Personally, I do my sound editing on my computer with audacity, but I'm sure there are lots of other ways to make ring tones.

+1 on iSyncr. Let's you keep your iTunes and phone playlists synced up. While you can drag/drop mp3s to your phone, getting playlists over is a little complicated.

Use iSyncr to get the files and playlists to the phone. Then you can experiment with different player apps to find the one you like.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Decided to go with iSynch and it worked great. I also got their player. I tried it on the one that is already on the phone and couldn't find playlists but theirs has it. Thanks for the help!