Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually more interested in how a wooden frame handles humidity. Can it warp? Wood expands and contracts quite a bit. Would moisture affect conductivity and thus signal? How about stains? Scratches? What happens if you get it wet? Wood isn't exactly a maintenance free material. I would imagine you would probably have to treat it occasionally like other wood surfaces.

I would assume they would put some sort of nano coating on it. Something like Rust-Oleum Never Wet Multi-Surface Frosted Clear - $18 | onlinefabricstore.net That you can buy pretty much anywhere. That would help with the humidity/water warping problem.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I just posted this in the Share Moto X design thread, but I'll repost here since a few were asking. The wood back is definitely smoother than the dark colored soft touch backs, but I don't feel like it's so slippery to fall out.

Ebony back, black front, silver accents. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks so premium; my friends and family really like the look.

IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG

For reference, my old phone that I'm exchanging for it.

IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Gorgeous!

What color is the writing, silver? You don't get to choose the color of the Verizon logo, right?

The writing is whitish, and no you don't get to choose the color of the logo.

I will say that both the engraving and Verizon logo are printed onto the wood, so those aren't as "sharp" as they are on a regular colored back. Basically the engraving and the Verizon logo on a regular colored back are clean and sharp, but on the wood back, you can kinda see the grains of the printing ink (or whatever the use) of the engraving and logo. It probably has to do with printing on wood vs plastic/the soft touch material, but it's not a big deal and you'd have to look at it on close inspection.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The writing is whitish, and no you don't get to choose the color of the logo.

I will say that both the engraving and Verizon logo are printed onto the wood, so those aren't as "sharp" as they are on a regular colored back. Basically the engraving and the Verizon logo on a regular colored back are clean and sharp, but on the wood back, you can kinda see the grains of the printing ink (or whatever the use) of the engraving and logo. It probably has to do with printing on wood vs plastic/the soft touch material, but it's not a big deal and you'd have to look at it on close inspection.
I wonder if I got extra, extra fine steel wool if I could sand it off?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for the pics, guys! I ended up ordering the walnut/black/black but it was hard deciding between the ebony and the walnut they are both so awesome looking!!!!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I chose bamboo, but I don't know why Motorola decided it should have white frame around it, while the ebony one gets black. Just ruin the look.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I chose bamboo, but I don't know why Motorola decided it should have white frame around it, while the ebony one gets black. Just ruin the look.

The 2 lighter woods, teak and bamboo, have white frames. The 2 darker woods, ebony and walnut, have black frames. I am sure this is so those who like white phones have a wood that goes with the white face of the phone.

I have a Dev Ed and the back is woven white with a white frame and the front is black. It doesn't look bad at all.

Hopefully in the future, the frames will be customizable, too. Send Motorola your feedback on this. I am and perhaps in the future they can implement customizable frames.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm jealous of all these great walnut back pieces. Wish they were available when I got mine, or we were able to put one on after the fact. Oh well.

Posted via Android Central App

I was at a local sprint store today and I mentioned the wood back moto x's as the lady was putting a screen protector on my phone, and she said there was a way to actually put a wood back on a non wood moto x. Not sure at all if its possible, but that's what she said.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I was at a local sprint store today and I mentioned the wood back moto x's as the lady was putting a screen protector on my phone, and she said there was a way to actually put a wood back on a non wood moto x. Not sure at all if its possible, but that's what she said.
There are videos about how to do this, but you need the right tools and of course, you could screw up your device if you aren't careful.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
There are videos about how to do this, but you need the right tools and of course, you could screw up your device if you aren't careful.

I assumed so. I don't think I would risk it. I enjoy mine anyway :)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The 2 lighter woods, teak and bamboo, have white frames. The 2 darker woods, ebony and walnut, have black frames. I am sure this is so those who like white phones have a wood that goes with the white face of the phone.

I have a Dev Ed and the back is woven white with a white frame and the front is black. It doesn't look bad at all.

Hopefully in the future, the frames will be customizable, too. Send Motorola your feedback on this. I am and perhaps in the future they can implement customizable frames.
I called them up and asked if I can change it to ebony, but they said status is already "exported". So I did ask them to forward my feedback to have black 'trim' for the bamboo color. Not sure what exported means, but if its already ready to ship out several hours after my order than I'm impressed.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I called them up and asked if I can change it to ebony, but they said status is already "exported". So I did ask them to forward my feedback to have black 'trim' for the bamboo color.
You are able to get 1 free redesign so you send it back and exchange it for the ebony. No additional cost and if you complain that you asked to cancel within a very short time of ordering, then they will send you a prepaid return shipping label.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this in the Share Moto X design thread, but I'll repost here since a few were asking. The wood back is definitely smoother than the dark colored soft touch backs, but I don't feel like it's so slippery to fall out.

Ebony back, black front, silver accents. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks so premium; my friends and family really like the look.

View attachment 102348
View attachment 102347

For reference, my old phone that I'm exchanging for it.

View attachment 102344
View attachment 102345

Just ordered an ebony with black front and yellow accents. Very excited! Returning my smooth black back/black front/yellow accents current one.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered an ebony with black front and yellow accents. Very excited! Returning my smooth black back/black front/yellow accents current one.

Post pics when you get it! I'm curious to see how colored accents would look with wood. I considered getting orange or yellow accents, but I thought it might be jarring, plus I wanted the wood to stand on its own.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Can you guys feel the seam on the sides? since the sides are separate, i have been wondering about this.
thanks

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Take a look at this beauty!!! That white dot was a dust speck that I wiped away. I will post more pics later after I get my bumper to put on it.

By my feel, it feels about as slippery as the smooth touch woven white back on my Dev Ed.

Walnut Moto X in the Box.jpg

Does anyone think the bottom right corner looks bad enough to return or is that just how walnut looks?

Last edited: