Moto X: All vibration stopped working and I can't fix it

Deenybird

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Out of the blue the other day, my AT&T Moto X stopped vibrating. I noticed it first with the soft keys (home, back etc) but it affects everything from vibrating on ringing, to enabling silent mode, to unlocking with active display, to games.

I've tried rebooting and toggling vibration in settings. I've downloaded vibration tester apps from the Play Store. I only have the same ~70 or so apps that most of us use (dropbox, weather channel etc) and I don't run any obscure apps (less than 1000's of downloads), and I hadn't downloaded anything new for hours before the problem started.

I feel I've tried all the basic stuff, except factory reset, I don't think there's anything too obvious I'm overlooking.

So that leaves me facing either a hardware or software problem. I doubt its a problem with the physical vibration motor. Factory defects are so ridiculously rare that it should never be your first course of action. However, if it's a problem with the hardware I could try my local ATT Service Center. If it's a software problem, which seems much more likely, I could try a factory reset on the device. However it seemed a wise idea to post this question to the pros before I go down that road.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.
AT&T Moto X
Not rooted

Update: I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.
Is there anything else I can try? or am i headed to a service center?

Last edited by a moderator:

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: All vibration stopped working and I can't fix it

If a factory rest didn't fix it, then I'd say do one or two more resets just to be sure then take it back.

Posted via Android Central App

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

I've heard of a few that had to get warranty replacement due to the vibration not working. Sounds like you've got one too.

Posted via Android Central App

Deenybird

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Vibrating module in the phone is a cheap part, but at least ATT replaced it for you.

sent via tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm