Is it the lower specs that make this phone so smooth?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it the lower specs..

Here's my question, though: for those who perceive the Moto X's performance to be superior to that of other recent flagships, how does the introduction of ART on either side change the comparison?

That's a big hangup for me, because I've switched between them several times now and I'm honestly not sure I can tell the difference on any given day without looking or trying to remember which button I hit last. If I wake up, do a couple of things on 230 apps... I have no idea without seriously considering what I've done to it.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

That's a big hangup for me, because I've switched between them several times now and I'm honestly not sure I can tell the difference on any given day without looking or trying to remember which button I hit last. If I wake up, do a couple of things on 230 apps... I have no idea without seriously considering what I've done to it.

We aren't far off from the point where improvements in software efficiency, though potentially very impressive, are beyond the scope of perceptible performance gains for daily use (speaking in context of responsiveness, compiling and loading delays, smoothness... all that).

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm so thankful that the only spec I've ever cared about was battery life! :D

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Here's my answer to the ART question. It makes apps open instantaneously and the phone is so fluid...I never see framerate drops with ART enabled. It alone has coaxed me away from Xposed with mods because of how smooth it is.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

We aren't far off from the point where improvements in software efficiency, though potentially very impressive, are beyond the scope of perceptible performance gains for daily use (speaking in context of responsiveness, compiling and loading delays, smoothness... all that).

I think this is where phones are heading. In day to day use, how much faster can they actually open in app, scroll through a page, switch to a different app, etc., to where we can actually notice and perceive the speed with our eyes? The same thing can be said with screen technology. When using a phone a couple feet away from your face, you won't perceive much difference between 720p and 4K. From a greater distance, as in viewing a TV, the differences are more noticeable. Sure companies will be able to say "our phone has a 4K screen!!!!" But how much will you actually notice in day to day use? I'm guessing it will be minimal at best.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Again why I am selling my Note 3 to buy a Moto X.

The Note 3 has choppiness here and there, not often, and sometimes lags while switching between pretty heavy resource games, but the big thing driving the change is day to day use. The features on the Note 3 are features that are more like wow look at me, not I'm actually going to use this all the time every day to make things easier for me the user.

I also don't think that saying the phone has lower specs is an appropriate statement. The specs may be slightly lower in the specs race as far as raw numbers are concerned but the hardware is being optimized to squeeze everything possible out of what already has been made instead of slapping in the latest and greatest untested and non-optimized hardware provides the end user with a smoother more enjoyable experience.

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

man this phone makes me wanna get a moto x. I do want a bigger screen tho.
If moto makes a bigger x, it's def be on top of my shopping list for next phone

Right now I am holding out for htc one 2

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

man this phone makes me wanna get a moto x. I do want a bigger screen tho.
If moto makes a bigger x, it's def be on top of my shopping list for next phone

Right now I am holding out for htc one 2
I would like a bigger screen, too, but many people like the ergonomics of the Moto X as is since so many android phones are much bigger. Not everyone wants such big phones. I would like a 5" screen.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

I would like a bigger screen, too, but many people like the ergonomics of the Moto X as is since so many android phones are much bigger. Not everyone wants such big phones. I would like a 5" screen.

I think that should be the direction OEMs go in. Optimize the CPU tech already available a la Moto X and take existing screens and get them into a smaller footprint a la Moto X. This phone isn't much bigger than an iPhone 5/5S but the screen is 3/4 of an inch larger!

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site

I third that sentiment. I really like using my phone as a media device and my S3 is looking small. I'd absolutely love to pick up a 5.5 - 6" Moto X.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Thought the MAXX fits that bill, although it is only on Verizon.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Something everyone ignores or is ignorant to is the fact that the processor on the X has the exact same cores as the s600 processor in the s4 and one. The only difference is that it has 2 cores instead of 4. The only cpu advantage that the s600 has is in heavily multithreaded applications. Those are not very common on mobile yet. The per core performance is the same.

On top of that, the x8 has the exact same gpu as the s600 BUT is running at a 720p resolution instead of the full 1080p res it was designed for. So current generation gpu+last Gen resolution means huge performance advantage.

Add the contextual processors to off load tasks, and you have a package that can keep up with anything released this year. Anyone screaming "low spec" is ignorant to the actual specs. The only things that are not as high as they could be on this phone is the camera and resolution.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Thought the MAXX fits that bill, although it is only on Verizon.
The Maxx is much heavier and larger due to the battery. So you don't just get a larger screen, you get a significantly larger and heavier phone.

Don't get me wrong, the larger battery is great for some people, but I don't need it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I compared the X to the Maxx last night and the Maxx seamed to lag wear as the X was very smooth so I picked up the X!

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I compared the X to the Maxx last night and the Maxx seamed to lag wear as the X was very smooth so I picked up the X!
It shouldn't because the Droid Maxx is the exact same phone as the Moto X, just with a bigger battery and bigger screen, which necessitates the bigger case and causes the increased weight.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Posted via Android Central App

Under the hood, they're pretty much the same phone. lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Something everyone ignores or is ignorant to is the fact that the processor on the X has the exact same cores as the s600 processor in the s4 and one. The only difference is that it has 2 cores instead of 4. The only cpu advantage that the s600 has is in heavily multithreaded applications. Those are not very common on mobile yet. The per core performance is the same.

On top of that, the x8 has the exact same gpu as the s600 BUT is running at a 720p resolution instead of the full 1080p res it was designed for. So current generation gpu+last Gen resolution means huge performance advantage.

Add the contextual processors to off load tasks, and you have a package that can keep up with anything released this year. Anyone screaming "low spec" is ignorant to the actual specs. The only things that are not as high as they could be on this phone is the camera and resolution.

But. Specs!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci