Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dev Edition vs Unlocked?

So I just got in on the 1 hour sale today but not sure which route to go. Historically I have flashed my phones but from all I see there aren't many roms for the moto x and a lot of people say the stock is amazing.

Anyone have any opinions?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Dev Edition vs Unlocked?

This is true.. There isn't much development for the Moto X.. It has surprised everyone how well of a device it is " stock ".
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Quote Originally Posted by reno55 View Post
    So I just got in on the 1 hour sale today but not sure which route to go. Historically I have flashed my phones but from all I see there aren't many roms for the moto x and a lot of people say the stock is amazing.

Posted via Android Central App
    main reason people flash ROM is for stock Android and X is already stock with some useful feature..

ROMS are pointless with the X
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reno55 View Post

I got the Dev Ed for the resale value. As time goes on I am hoping there will be more development for the Moto X and I suspect that an unlocked bootloader will be more valuable in the resale market once the Moto X is end of life.

With all of these sales I am not hopeful that the Moto X resale value will be very good when the Moto X2 comes out, but I think the Moto X models that will have the highest resale value will be the Dev Eds and the wood back models. I would like to net $100 on mine to put toward a Moto X2 when the time comes.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

I went with the dev edition because it is super simple to unlock and root. And I needed to root to get the 4.4.2 exchange apk's (since 4.4 is broken for me and a lot of people).

Its the same price as the 32gb. I say get the dev edition...

The regular unlock version bootloader can be unlocked here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-a/action/auth
    I'm waiting for the coupon code and I'm considering getting the regular version instead since you can't get wood back with dev version.

I don't think the resale value will be any different once the device have unlocked bootloader. Personally I think the woodback + unlock sim and bootloader make a bigger difference than a dev tag. Dev devices isn't exactly a high demand thing. I'm not worried about the risk of flashing since I have never failed to unbrick any softbricks I made.

My plan isn't keeping the resale price anyway, it takes a lot to get me to sell my Nexus for a non-Nexus device, so it have to be something real good to make me want to switch, which mean I'm not planning to resell it soon. I don't think cellphones are investment, by the time I want a new device, the technology will have move onward and this dualcore device wouldn't have the resale value anyway.

I'm still kind of bummed about the lacking of qi charging.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    The regular unlock version bootloader can be unlocked here: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-a/action/auth
    That's only true for Sprint, US Cellular and TMobile versions.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...w=/action/auth

For an ATT or Verizon Moto X bought from the carrier directly or through Moto Maker, Motorola will NOT provide you an unlock code. Notably, for a Verizon branded Moto X, Motorola will ONLY provide an unlock code for a Verizon Dev Ed Moto X.

If OP is on ATT, I think he can get the TMobile Moto Maker version or the GSM unlocked Dev Ed and both will be eligible for an unlock code. He needs to double check, but I am pretty sure that the Moto Maker TMobile version works on ATT fine. He will just have to get a nano SIM from ATT, which is no problem if he is a current customer.

So really, the only people who can't get an unlock code for a Moto Maker phone are the Verizon customers because the ATT people can just get the TMobile Moto Maker phones and Motorola will give out unlock codes for the Sprint and US Cellular Moto Maker Moto X's as well.

However, for any phone that is not a Dev Ed, getting an unlock code VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY. Only the Dev Eds maintain the warranty once they are unlocked.
    Last edited by Cozume; 01-27-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Yeah, don't really see a reason to root and flash roms on my X. The reasons are stated above.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

A Developer Edition gives you the big benefit of retaining the warranty once you unlock the bootloader, the carrier branded X's you lose your warranty.

While I was a rom crack flasher the Moto X runs so nice there is no need for a rom IMO. I Do though use Titanium Backup to backup apps before I update in the market in case an app has bugs I can fall back and to back up game data/settings. I also use Xposed framework with Gravity Box module which has most of the options any rom has and you can pick the ones you want to use and still use the stock software.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Personally I think the woodback + unlock sim and bootloader make a bigger difference than a dev tag.
    Right but on Verizon, you can't get a wood back phone and an unlock code. Same if you go with the ATT branded wood back phone, but as I posted above, you can use the TMobile wood backed devices on ATT so no need to get an ATT wood backed phone unless you need to use an upgrade to get a subsidized phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FSRBIKER View Post
    A Developer Edition gives you the big benefit of retaining the warranty once you unlock the bootloader, the carrier branded X's you lose your warranty.
    Yep!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    I got the Dev Ed for the resale value. As time goes on I am hoping there will be more development for the Moto X and I suspect that an unlocked bootloader will be more valuable in the resale market once the Moto X is end of life.

With all of these sales I am not hopeful that the Moto X resale value will be very good when the Moto X2 comes out, but I think the Moto X models that will have the highest resale value will be the Dev Eds and the wood back models. I would like to net $100 on mine to put toward a Moto X2 when the time comes.
    As Motorola drops the price, so goes your resale value.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    As Motorola drops the price, so goes your resale value.
    yeah, that is what I put in my post. The nice thing about the Verizon devices are that they are GSM unlocked so that helps with the resale value.
    Last edited by Cozume; 01-27-2014 at 05:49 PM.