Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the X USB-Tether AND Hotspot?

Hi All,

Just got my $299 code and wanted to know the above. I have the G and it does both and I assume the X does also, but would like to know for sure.

If you check my Streaming post in the G forum, you will see that the USB-tether is about 12% faster than the hotspot so I like to use that when visitors are here and a that bunch of freeloaders are using my Data bandwidth. .

Thanks

Default Re: Does the X USB-Tether AND Hotspot?

It all depends on your carrier/whether or not you are rooted. To the best of my knowledge:

If you pay your carrier for tethering, then yes, the Moto X can do it all not problem. If you are trying to get around paying your carrier for the feature, then there are apps in the Play Store that work well, but to my knowledge, the 4.4 update broke the ability to create a Hotspot, so you're stuck using USB/Bluetooth.

If you want the best of both worlds (HotSpot capability without carrier approval) you would need to root.
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, I have an unlimited talk, Text and Data on the Moto G (NOT rooted) that is Tethering fine both wifi and USB. It is an option in the "More" just under the Wifi and Bluetoothe settings.

I just wanted make sure the X does too and it sounds like it does not.

I would not tether if the service disallowed it.

If you've enabled tethering on your Moto G without using a 3rd party app (from the Play Store), then a Moto X should tether just fine for you. Sounds like tethering is part of your wireless plan, so I don't anticipate you'd have any issues.
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks, can I assume from that, that the SIM contains the information to allow the Settings to display the tethering options?

I think it would depend on the X build you bought. I have the XT 1053 t-mobile version. I dont pay for tethering but im able to tether my nexus 7 off the X no problem. Gotta try the USB tether...
    The "infraction"