Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SIM card swapping?

I just ordered a new wooden backed Moto X and am returning my other Moto X. Can I just take the SIM card out and put it in the new one, or do I have to actually activate the SIM card that comes in the new one?
    Droid->Droid Bionic->Galaxy S4->Moto X (black/black/yellow)->Moto X (ebony/black/yellow)

Default Re: Sim card swapping?

Sure. Just swap.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Default Re: SIM card swapping?

Quote Originally Posted by effreyj View Post
    I just ordered a new wooden backed Moto X and am returning my other Moto X. Can I just take the SIM card out and put it in the new one, or do I have to actually activate the SIM card that comes in the new one?
    You can go ahead and just Swap, Ive done it before with no problems
    Thanked by:

Depends on the carrier. I use Sprint, and had to activate the new phone. (Despite swapping the SIM card.) It wasn't hard to do, though, I did it on-line and it took a couple of seconds.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm on Verizon.

I'm on Verizon.
    You will have to tell them you are using a new phone, then. With GSM phones just swapping SIMs is usually good enough, but Verizon, Sprint, and the other carriers using that technology need to authorize the phone.

I'm on Verizon and when swapping from my Galaxy Nexus to a Galaxy S3 I purchased, I just swapped SIMs and all was fine, no need to call or do anything online, it just worked....I'll be swapping my SIM from the S3 to the motoX when it arrives today....so I can post back this afternoon and let you know how it went.

Justin
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by TNScrambler View Post
    I'm on Verizon and when swapping from my Galaxy Nexus to a Galaxy S3 I purchased, I just swapped SIMs and all was fine, no need to call or do anything online, it just worked....I'll be swapping my SIM from the S3 to the motoX when it arrives today....so I can post back this afternoon and let you know how it went.

Justin
    Be sure to cut that card as its a nano SIM....as I believe the S3 takes a mini SIM

Quote Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post
    Be sure to cut that card as its a nano SIM....as I believe the S3 takes a mini SIM

Didn't realize that, thanks!

Didn't realize that, thanks!
    Your welcome! Didn't want you to get it and have a oh **** moment lol

Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I'm on Verizon.
    If you are on verizon, all you do is pop the SIM out of the Moto X you are returning ("the old SIM"), take the SIM out of the new Moto X ("the new SIM") and pop the old SIM into the new Moto X to activate. You can save the new SIM, but i believe they may invalidate them after a period of time of not being activated.
    Thanked by:

as an update, I ordered a sim-cutter and adapter (so that I can slip my sim back into my S3 if needed untill it is sold) to chop my verizon SIM down to nano-size. However, in the mean time, I have a pre-paid T-mo SIM that I had previously hand cut down to Mico size....so using the directions found here: http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/How_...o_Nano_SIM.pdf I chopped it on down to Nano size and popped it in and its working just fine.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    You will have to tell them you are using a new phone, then. With GSM phones just swapping SIMs is usually good enough, but Verizon, Sprint, and the other carriers using that technology need to authorize the phone.
    Actually you do not need to tell Verizon with LTE devices. Just swap the SIM. Their system picks it up on the back end. Now, if you have a EVDO device that does global roaming, then you have to tell Verizon.

I move my VZW LTE Sim between multiple devices all the time for work. (One Verizon line, many devices), as well as swapping my personal Verizon SIM between my LTE devices too.

As for Sprint.. I have no clue how they work.
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

as an update, I ordered a sim-cutter and adapter (so that I can slip my sim back into my S3 if needed untill it is sold) to chop my verizon SIM down to nano-size. However, in the mean time, I have a pre-paid T-mo SIM that I had previously hand cut down to Mico size....so using the directions found here: http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/How_...o_Nano_SIM.pdf I chopped it on down to Nano size and popped it in and its working just fine.

Justin
    Another option... activate the Nano SIM that comes with the X, and use adapters to "up size" the SIM to fit into the S3 or other devices as needed..

For adapters, I use these -> Amazon.com: Nano to Micro/Normal SIM Card Adapter for Apple iPhone 5 4S 4G 3GS 3G: Cell Phones & Accessories and these -> Amazon.com: iCoolkit New iPhone Nano SIM Card to Micro /Stander/ full SIM card Tray Adapter Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories
    My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Another option... activate the Nano SIM that comes with the X, and use adapters to "up size" the SIM to fit into the S3 or other devices as needed..

For adapters, I use these -> Amazon.com: Nano to Micro/Normal SIM Card Adapter for Apple iPhone 5 4S 4G 3GS 3G: Cell Phones & Accessories and these -> Amazon.com: iCoolkit New iPhone Nano SIM Card to Micro /Stander/ full SIM card Tray Adapter Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories
    I have a few different adaptors but I read a lot where they get stuck and destroy your phone so I have never used them.

Quote Originally Posted by skullfreak View Post
    I have a few different adaptors but I read a lot where they get stuck and destroy your phone so I have never used them.
    That's true if your not careful

Quote Originally Posted by skullfreak View Post
    as loing as the SIM stays in the adpater, you'll be ok. Sometimes this means holding a phone in an odd position to insert the sim/adapter..

My Galaxy S3 and S4 need me to face the screen up to the ceiling, battery opening to the floor, to insert so the SIM doesn't fall out of the adapter.
    My Moto X tips and info

Actually you do not need to tell Verizon with LTE devices. Just swap the SIM. Their system picks it up on the back end. Now, if you have a EVDO device that does global roaming, then you have to tell Verizon.

I move my VZW LTE Sim between multiple devices all the time for work. (One Verizon line, many devices), as well as swapping my personal Verizon SIM between my LTE devices too.

As for Sprint.. I have no clue how they work.
    Sorry for the misinformation. I am on Sprint, and I did need to activate the new phone, despite swapping the SIM.

Hi there. I am hoping that someone can give me some help/advice and I apologize if my questions seem uninformed. I currently have a Droid Razr and I wish to upgrade to a Moto X when my Verizon contract runs out next Tuesday. What I am wondering is, what happens if I buy a Moto X outright through Moto Maker. If the sim card from the Razr fits, can I just switch them and not activate the one that came with the new phone? I would love to do that because I still have unlimited data which I will lose if I buy a new phone through Verizon, but I have a feeling that that is hoping for too much. If I can't do that, does it pay to buy a phone outright or is it not worth it? Is it better to just go the usual route through Verizon and kiss the data goodbye? Can you even show up at Verizon with a new phone (that works on their system) and ask them to give you a contract/plan? Just and fyi, my only other real choice for a carrier is AT&T because Sprint and T-mobile coverage is really spotty where I live and vacation. Thank you very much for any insights!
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rmn_cats View Post
    what happens if I buy a Moto X outright through Moto Maker. If the sim card from the Razr fits, can I just switch them and not activate the one that came with the new phone?
    yes, you can. But if you buy the Moto X off contract, there is no reason to as you won't lose your UDP. Only if you use your upgrade on your UDP line will you lose your UDP.

Hi Cozume, and thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, the Razr is my UDP line device, so I don't understand how that would work? There is also my daughter's Blackberry (2MB data) due for an upgrade at the same time as my phone and my son has a feature phone, but we just got that this past summer, so no upgrade for that one for a long time. The unlmiited data isn't really necessary as I mostly use my Nexus 7 for browsing, streaming movies/music, etc., but it's nice to know that I don't have to worry about the amount of data that I have available to me. Thanks again.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rmn_cats View Post
    Hi Cozume, and thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, the Razr is my UDP line device, so I don't understand how that would work?
    If you buy an off contract device, meaning you are not using an upgrade to get a subsidized phone, you cannot lose your UDP.

So if you buy the Moto X at the sale price of $300 for the 16GB device or $350 for the 32GB device, you will not lose unlimited data if you activate it on an UDP line no matter what SIM card you use to activate it.

OK, got it. Thanks very much for your help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well, I bought the phone used, so it didn't come with a SIM, yesterday I ordered... Amazon.com: Techno Earth Nano Sim Cutter for Iphone 5 Ipad Mini Simcard Cutter Cut Any GSM Sim Into Nano or Any Micro Sim Into Nano Sim + Car Charger for USB Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories which will be here today according to UPS, so I'm going to use it to cut it down and it comes with an adapter to get it back to Micro size.... I may not even need the adapter, but figured it would be good to have just in case I need to show that it is a fully functional phone when I go to sell it.

Justin

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

it is better to put a piece of scotch tape over the whole on the adapter and put the sim on and it wont dislodge.It will still fit in the sim reader. i had a mishap and broke a contact off of a brand new phone with the adapter so be careful.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast