Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jtb79
  • 1 Post By Puzzlegal
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going from Nexus 5 to Moto X: a few questions

1. is the phone slippery without a case? i'm going with a white woven back. will that help?
    2. are there any known issues with kitkat? specifically active notifications or touchless control? (these are my two main reasons for switching)
    3. will i still be able to play GTA: SA smoothly?
    4. i was thinking of getting an additional x as a gift. i heard that certain backs can get dirtier (and unable to clean off) than others. if so, what colors should i avoid? or am i safe staying with woven black/white?

toodles
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-30-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: going from nexus 5 to moto x: a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by jeromenumbers View Post
    1. is the phone slippery without a case? i'm going with a white woven back. will that help?
    2. are there any known issues with kitkat? specifically active notifications or touchless control? (these are my two main reasons for switching)
    4. i was thinking of getting an additional x as a gift. i heard that certain backs can get dirtier (and unable to clean off) than others. if so, what colors should i avoid? or am i safe staying with woven black/white?

toodles
    The woven white back is quite slippery. Some of the colors are slick while some are more rubbery. The woven black back has a very nice grip.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    The woven white back is quite slippery. Some of the colors are slick while some are more rubbery. The woven black back has a very nice grip.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    i would've expected the woven white to be the same texture as the black. thanks for sharing. do you know which colors have the rubbery feel?

The darker colors are soft touch. You can look on the motomaker site and it will tell you which colors are soft touch/non-slip. The slippery ones will say smooth finish.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Just caught that. Thanks!

Default Re: Going from Nexus 5 to Moto X: a few questions

I got the ebony back one today...not slippery. Wishing I had not gotten the white front already though.

Posted via Android Central App

I have had a woven white and woven black both feel great in hand not slippery at all just perfect

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTBurns View Post
    I got the ebony back one today...not slippery. Wishing I had not gotten the white front already though.

I had a similar feeling when I got my first Moto X. I meant to have a white front but when re-entering the order missed that black was checked by default. It came with a black front and I was disappointed but figured it was my fault for ordering it that way I called Motorola after 4 or 5 days and they said no prob you can get another one

As far as the original topic, the dark blue back I had was soft & grippy and I had no problems keeping it clean. Later today I'll have my new teak/silver/white one and will find out how it feels in comparison.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I'm making the same move. I love my N5 but after seeing my parents Motorola Droids active notifications I decided to go with an X as well. Got woven black and was wondering the same things.

jeromenumbers likes this.

I have woven black, and it feels really good in the hand, and not slippery. I hadn't seriously considered buying the phone until I handled one at the Sprint store. And when I took my new phone from the box, my first thought was, "this feels nice".
    jeromenumbers likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Looks like I'm going woven black then. Had my heart set on woven white/white/silver but I think the ergonomics play a bigger factor.

i would've expected the woven white to be the same texture as the black. thanks for sharing. do you know which colors have the rubbery feel?
    It is not necessarily based on color as to if it's slippery or not. I remember feeling them at the AT&T store when they had them all on display. I want to say the Maroon, army green, royal blue, black and woven black, were rubbery. I know the woven white and spearmint green were slippery and I cannot remember the others.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

ROM
    Stock

I have the white back and while I wouldn't call it "slippery", there's no texture to it, and it's certainly not rubbery or terribly grippy. I'd recommend checking one out in person if you can, but I think I'll at least need to pick up a bumper case at some point.
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

woven back here and find it kinda slippery. Im using a flex case on it and it adds a noticeable amount of grip. Its pretty fugly but function over fashion
    The "infraction"

Have been using both and decided to keep Moto X, N5 larger screen is great, but unreachable with 1 hand to upper right screen area.

Build quality is lots worse on Moto X. Had a wood bamboo ordered, when it came, the back camera, flash and dimple aren't all centered, screen was assembled at a slanted angle.

Exchanged now have a Dev Ed, build quality still not on par with N5.

White woven back is slippery, ordered the Power Supply case from Motorola.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,411 Global Posts

toodles
    1) slightly.
    2) not around those features. I think people are having issues with Exchange on 4.4 (which are apparently fixed in 4.4.2)
    3) yes
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Stock

Looks like I'm going woven black then. Had my heart set on woven white/white/silver but I think the ergonomics play a bigger factor.
    You can go for what you want and put a bumper case on it (which gives you grippy edges + some drop protection + leaves the back exposed + adds very little weight or bulk)
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

Most Best Buys have the different Moto X backs on display, if you live close to one, I would suggest stopping by and taking a look. They don't have any of the wood backs though.

Check AT&T corporate or Verizon stores. They may have a Moto X display which will have most of the backs available. Plus it has been reported that the colors look different when you receive it than on the website, you can see them in person.

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

thanks guys. i went real subtle. black (not woven) back/black front/red accents. ordered it on the first. still waiting!!