Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update

Battery was great before but now its significantly decreased since the update. Am I the only one?

Normally I would check wake lock detector but I would now need to root my phone.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-17-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Default Re: Battery sucks since kitkit update

factory reset

ROM
    Stock

I got mine with KitKat, and I'm happy with the battery life. As a "screen on" test in the office one day (bright fluorescent, probably kept the screen at 40% or so) I got 7 hours of screen time out of a charge, total time between charges 12 hours.

Today I've had an hour and 15 minutes of screen time, 10 hours on battery, sitting at 59%.

Yesterday, outside with the screen on "stun small animals" bright, I played Ingress (the standard by which other battery drains are judged) for about 2 hours. I started at about 60%, ended at 30%.

So I'd say if you did the Over-the-air upgrade, a factory reset is probably advisable.
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Does that erase everything?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by princesultan View Post
    Does that erase everything?
    Yes. Sorry.

Your contacts, email, etc should all be on Google. Your applications will reinstall from the Play Store.

But you'll lose any pictures that aren't backed up to G+, your customization and home screen setups, and most in-app data (saved game statuses, etc) unless the author of that app has some sort of cloud backup of your data.

It's no guarantee, but it's what your carrier is going to tell you to do.

The other option is to uninstall all of your apps and see if it makes a significant difference. If it does, install them 2-3 at a time every couple of days and see what happens. When the battery life starts sucking again, you've narrowed it down to 2-3 apps.

But there are times after an OS version upgrade that something just goes wrong in the data conversion or something, and the cleanest way is to just stop using the "converted" application/customization data and start fresh.

I got 4.4.2 last friday and before the update was getting battery life of 1day 4 hours about 3% per hour and after Kitkat 16 hours and 5% per hour, so I did a reset and manually reloaded the apps I had before and still getting about 5% an hour so not sure what the issue is, except it is substantially less than 4.2

ROM
    Stock

Battery was great before but now its significantly decreased since the update. Am I the only one?
    LinusMcl's post above made me realize - when I say KitKat, I mean 4.4 (no extra numbers). This is the "current" version for the AT&T model I have.

If you have 4.4.2 (which some of the other variants have already), a reset might not be as likely to help.

(EDIT: Corrected 4.2.x to 4.4.x - stupid brain)
    Last edited by natehoy; 02-04-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    LinusMcl's post above made me realize - when I say KitKat, I mean 4.2 (no extra numbers). This is the "current" version for the AT&T model I have.

If you have 4.2.2 (which some of the other variants have already), a reset might not be as likely to help.
    4.2 was Jelly Bean. 4.4 is Kit Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusMcl View Post
    I got 4.4.2 last friday and before the update was getting battery life of 1day 4 hours about 3% per hour and after Kitkat 16 hours and 5% per hour, so I did a reset and manually reloaded the apps I had before and still getting about 5% an hour so not sure what the issue is, except it is substantially less than 4.2
    thats essentially my exact experience too going from 4.2.2 to 4.4 its been a month or so now. didnt want to factory reset it but I might as well root it since it would get wiped anyway.
    Last edited by CutlaSS; 02-03-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    D Inc on launch day- Galaxy Nexus on launch day----Dev Edition Moto X better late than never----Love me some Android.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusMcl View Post
    Is 16 hours not sufficient to get through a day? Powered my phone on at 5:45am and have about 26% left now with just over 2 hours of screen time.

I upgraded to KK as soon as I received my phone so I can't comment on "before" but I'm happy with battery life. I often start the day at 2:30 AM and go till 10 or 11 PM with life to spare. I installed a bunch of widgets and live wallpaper thinking I'd have to drop some of them because of battery life but it's still decent.

I do have battery saving location on and widgets update every hour plus I don't play games or watch videos other than on break at work.

I'm pretty happy with it but I won't be 100% satisfied until I can return to the mileage of my old BB Curve :O

Quote Originally Posted by mumfoau View Post
    Is 16 hours not sufficient to get through a day? Powered my phone on at 5:45am and have about 26% left now with just over 2 hours of screen time.
    Probably, but I was just surprised to see the difference

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    4.2 was Jelly Bean. 4.4 is Kit Kat.
    (smacks forehead) D'OH! Thanks. I meant 4.4 as opposed to 4.4.2. Don't know where those twos snuck in.

ROM
    Stock

At 15 hours off charge, all but 3 hours on lte. Still at 48%.

This phone rivals my old razr maxx.
    I love it.

Posted via Android Central App
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.

get great battery life... problem happens when u use X for while with 4.2.2 and then update, thats why i formatted my phone after the update.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

My on screen time has definitely decreased since the update. I really don't want to do a factory reset.

I wish Google (or even the OEMs perhaps) would provide software that is:

1. Able to run on all types of computers systems (Mac, Windows, etc). Even a web-based tool would be fine if it worked.
    2. Able to completely facilitate distributing software updates the *correct* way

What do I mean by the "correct way"? Personally what I would want is a program where I plug my device into the computer and it downloads the appropriate update image, takes a complete backup of all user data & settings, wipes the current system, applies the update and verifies installation, then restores all applicable user data & settings.

I believe that OEMs and carriers prefer to do OTA updates because they are more user friendly...nothing to do but click a button on the phone to start the process, and no need to hook up to computer and follow instructions. The problem is that all you're really doing is applying the update over top of the existing system, essentially doing what we ROM users refer to as "dirty flashing"...and it often leads to bugs, strange behavior and poor performance. How are these problems generally fixed? By doing a factory reset. Sure the factory reset does usually fix most post-OTA issues, but then the user has to go through the trouble of restoring everything on the phone afterwards...why not just automate that entire process to begin with and make it easier to ensure that user data isn't lost in the process? I'm not saying that OTAs can't be made available for those that absolutely need them, but as it stands now, that's usually the only method available for most phones with "official" updates.

I don't think what I suggested would be that hard to do either, though currently it could probably only be made to work on rooted phones...which is why I'd like to see an "official" tool from Google to facilitate the process.

Sorry for the rant.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Just an update. I really tried messing around with the battery to try and improve it since the update. I then switched over to ART. Battery was just as bad. The main culprit was Android OS when I looked at the battery stats. No matter what I did aandroid OS would be between 50-60%.

Yesterday I switched back to Davik and low and behold, the battery seems to have gone back to normal. I read a few other users who experienced similar experiences, so give it a try if your battery has been weak since the update.

My on screen time has definitely decreased since the update. I really don't want to do a factory reset.
    For me, the On Screen Time usually Ok. I usually get around 4 hours OST in 14 hours usage. I was more concerned towards idle time. Over the past few days, it is improving though. Will post my observation later today.

Default Re: Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update

Accidentally left my wifi on last night woke up this morning to find it ate 21% of the battery over night

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by prasathvishnu View Post
    For me, the On Screen Time usually Ok. I usually get around 4 hours OST in 14 hours usage. I was more concerned towards idle time. Over the past few days, it is improving though. Will post my observation later today.
    For the past 1 week, I found good improvement in battery life. Now, with my usage pattern, I am confident I can get 24 hours of battery life before each charge. Below is my batter stats.

16-Feb 21 hours with 5 hours SOT
    Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update-16-02-21-hours-5-hours-sot.png

21-Feb 1 day 9 hours with 3 hours SOT
    Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update-21-02-33-hours-3-hours-sot-1.pngMoto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update-21-02-33-hours-3-hours-sot-2.png

22-Feb 15 hours with 6 hours SOT
    Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update-22-02-15-hours-6-hours-sot.pngMoto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update-22-02-15-hours-6-hours-sot-graph.png

23-Feb 23 hours with 4 hours SOT
    Moto X: Battery sucks since kitkit update-23-02-23-hours-4-hours-sot.png

I think the improvement in battery life is because of many factors.
    1. 4.4.2 OTA Update. But, It took some time before it showed improvement
    2. Turning off data and Wifi for 8 hours during sleep which reduced idle drain from 1.7% to 1% per hour
    3. Disabling unused services and apps.

Again, for the last 3-4 days, I tried few more optimizations like
    1) Greenifying unused apps through Hibernate Now
    2) Auto-kill background apps when idle (360 anti virus)
    3) Use Llama profiler to schedule wifi and 3G

Will post the observations again