Launch apps from lock screen?

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys and gals,

I am considering getting a Moto X but understand that you can't have multiple/customize-able apps on the lock screen.

I see apps available for customizeable lock screens (and even ones that mimic the Moto X), but fear that adding these apps will ruin/override the active display thing, where you pull it out of your pocket and it displays the lock screen with notifications, etc...

Basically I want to be able to swipe the dialer and browser to unlock phone, to go directly to just that, without having to unlock the screen, and then swipe again to launch dialer or browser. But I don't want to alter the active notification function. I love the idea of just pulling the phone out of my pocket and the lock screen appearing.

Thank you very much for any help.

Also, I am wavering between this phone and the HTC One if anyone has any thoughts on that as well.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The active notification screen has an unlock function, but if you hit the power button it brings you to the normal android lock screen where you can put apps that have lock screen support. I have Google Keep and Timely on mine at the moment.

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The active notification screen has an unlock function, but if you hit the power button it brings you to the normal android lock screen where you can put apps that have lock screen support. I have Google Keep and Timely on mine at the moment.

Excellent information. So this factor will not play into my purchasing decision. However, it would still be nice to just pull the phone out of my pocket, swipe the dialer app and start making a phone call.

Anyway, I can rule that factor out, which was really the last one keeping me from going with the Moto over the HTC One. the HTC One has a better DAC and amp, etc... but I will be using it with a portable amp mostly, so that is not a huge factor.

Again, thanks.

Side note: Too bad they couldn't have thought of something shorter than "OK Google Now". Something short like Siri. I would be more prone to just saying, "Siri call Bob" than even unlocking the screen to begin with. OK Google Now call Bob, is a mouth full. I could already be done talking to Bob by that time. And Bob is one long winded dude.

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Also, does the active notification only come on if you have notifications? If so, I wonder if I just leave an unread text message in my inbox that can make it come on every time I pull it out of my pocket?

For some reason, I really hate hitting the power button on smart phones.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it on my X but has anyone tried Widgetlocker on it?

I used to use it all the time but I really like the way the active notifications work and how the screen lights up when you pick it up.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Active notifications detects when you pull it out of your pocket or pick it up so it displays 99% of the time when I do it. It also breathes, meaning active notifications show every once in awhile on its own while sitting your desk or something. I think it shows more often when you do have a notification though.

Also on the lock screen apps, I realized you might have been talking about the actual spot you touch to unlock and being able to swipe different directions to unlock or open different apps. Stock it only unlocks from this. But on the actual screen you can swipe to lock screen apps like the camera is on the right and anything else you add is to the left. A different launcher or something might be able to change this though... someone else would know more than I do on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith