Moto X: Camera Improvement Options

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Camera Improvement Options

Very low indoor light at late afternoon/almost dusk. I'd say it was $3.95 well spent for low light and night photos. I would use stock camera app for daytime photos. FV-5 for night

I just bought this app based on this post! I see the same dramatic difference by fixing the iso.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

V10MPower

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

So you like this better than Camera Awesome? How do you know what to set the ISO at? What is AWB, auto white balance?

I actually didn't try Cam Awesome. I tried the Trial Version of FV-5 (Cam Awesome did not have a trial I could find) then purchased it for the $3.95.

I am not a camera person, so I just tinkered with some settings. The lower the ISO, the less grainy the pictures taken. However, it slows the camera and viewfinder way down (framerate). A bit of a pain, but waiting an additional 3-5 secs before taking a night shot makes all the diff. AWB is auto white balance.

I find in certain conditions with dim room lighting, the stock Moto X Cam turns everything red to the point I cannot even take a normal pic. With the White Balance settings, I can actually choose from like 4 presets and get a decent shot.

Here are two more shots I took tonight at dinner comparing FV-5 and Stock Cam:

Stock Cam
IMG_20140208_203049529.jpg

FV-5
DSC_0010.jpg

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I find in certain conditions with dim room lighting, the stock Moto X Cam turns everything red to the point I cannot even take a normal pic. With the White Balance settings, I can actually choose from like 4 presets and get a decent shot.
Well that proves that the problem is not a hardware problem. It is amazing to me, though, that the problems with the camera can be solved with a purchased app, yet motorola can't provide an update to the stock camera app that does the same.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I actually didn't try Cam Awesome. I tried the Trial Version of FV-5 (Cam Awesome did not have a trial I could find) then purchased it for the $3.95.

I am not a camera person, so I just tinkered with some settings. The lower the ISO, the less grainy the pictures taken. However, it slows the camera and viewfinder way down (framerate). A bit of a pain, but waiting an additional 3-5 secs before taking a night shot makes all the diff. AWB is auto white balance.

You should submit your findings to Mark Rose and Punit Soni.

https://plus.google.com/+MarkRose/posts

https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Sticking to full-auto is not going to get you the same results that an app where you set the controls manually gets you.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Sticking to full-auto is not going to get you the same results that an app where you set the controls manually gets you.

That's what I wish Motorola would give us the option to do so. They could have something like Simple or Easy mode, where it would act as it does now. Then have the option Advanced Mode with settings like what is in apps like FV-5 or Camera Awesome. My brother is in the market for a smartphone, and called to ask which phone I had when I took the pic of a Ferrari like car we saw when we went to a concert. That was my OG Droid Incredible, and it did take great pics, but only because I had the option to adjust settings like white balance, resolution, ISO, etc. If you left everything on auto, it could take sub par pics.

While I love everything else about last year's Moto line, the camera is the only thing keeping me from giving it a 5 star rating. But I think if I had access to all those settings, I could get as good pictures as I used to. I may give FV-5 a try.

Rhezick

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

Just downloaded fv-5. I'm not really camera savy which may be part of the problem, but I don't really see a difference...for those that it helped, what did you use for indoor/low light situations? I mainly take pictures of my 4 and 1 year old indoors, so low light+movement is my focus with this app.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Just downloaded fv-5. I'm not really camera savy which may be part of the problem, but I don't really see a difference...for those that it helped, what did you use for indoor/low light situations? I mainly take pictures of my 4 and 1 year old indoors, so low light+movement is my focus with this app.

Hi, low light + movement = blurry pictures, no App is going to fix that. The lower the light, the longer the shutter has to remain open to expose the sensor to enough light to create the image, any movement during that time = blur. At really slow shutter speed, body movement from your own heartbeat is enough to cause blur. Light is everything in photography.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC