Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By radyoactive
  • 1 Post By Snake Griffin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My moto x arrives today should I factory reset after updating to Kit-kAt?

Hey everyone I am getting my moto x today even though I can't activate it as an actual phone until Sunday. That said I'm going to play with it and get it setup until then. I've been reading about Kit kat killing battery and people suggesting factory reset? Should I do that before I actually get it set up as a working phone?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: My moto x arrives today should I factory reset after updating to Kit-kAt?

Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    Hey everyone I am getting my moto x today even though I can't activate it as an actual phone until Sunday. That said I'm going to play with it and get it setup until then. I've been reading about Kit kat killing battery and people suggesting factory reset? Should I do that before I actually get it set up as a working phone?

Yes, It would actually be a very good idea. Skip the inital setup out of the box, let it take the update, reset, then set up your Gmail.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    sixty_four likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: My moto x arrives today should I factory reset after updating to Kit-kAt?

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Yes, It would actually be a very good idea. Skip the inital setup out of the box, let it take the update, reset, then set up your Gmail.
    How do I by pass the initial setup to update to Kitkat? I've always just put in my info to get the phone started.

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

How do I by pass the initial setup to update to Kitkat? I've always just put in my info to get the phone started.
    I think you can just select 'Skip' or something like that. When it asks for New or existing, you have to pick one, but after that, I think the skip option comes up.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:
    ddonahueiup likes this.

The first Moto X I had came with 4.2.2 and I had to update, but my new one that I got last week came with KitKat preinstalled.
    Droid->Droid Bionic->Galaxy S4->Moto X (black/black/yellow)->Moto X (ebony/black/yellow)
    Thanked by:

enter the wifi credential first and then click skip on google account. Update and then do a factory reset.

I highly recommend updating before entering your google account
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:

+1 for a factory reset.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    enter the wifi credential first and then click skip on google account. Update and then do a factory reset.

I highly recommend updating before entering your google account
    Will do thanks everyone

Mine arrived with 4.4 already installed.
    Thanked by:
    Laineyc likes this.

I don't see a reason to do any of that if it arrives with KitKat already installed like mine did.
    Thanked by:
    radyoactive likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by radyoactive View Post
    Mine arrived with 4.4 already installed.
    same here. ordered it a week ago.
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Well if it does I won't worry about it

I agree, I just popped in my SIM, set up the Migrate app then set up my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Griffin View Post
    I don't see a reason to do any of that if it arrives with KitKat already installed like mine did.

I still use Hotmail. What benefits do you get with a gmail account with an Android phone? For instance, is there an app that saves you from going through the internet?

I use my work email for most important (and social) stuff so it's not something I need to check a lot on my phone.

Global Posts
    22,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    I still use Hotmail. What benefits do you get with a gmail account with an Android phone? For instance, is there an app that saves you from going through the internet?

I use my work email for most important (and social) stuff so it's not something I need to check a lot on my phone.
    Backing up data on Google servers, only needing one sign in for all Google services, just to name a couple things.
    You can still use hotmail. There is an app for that on Play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline

Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    For instance, is there an app that saves you from going through the internet?
    Yep, it's called Gmail and it goes straight to your phone.

Backing up data on Google servers, only needing one sign in for all Google services, just to name a couple things.
    You can still use hotmail. There is an app for that on Play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks. Good to know about the Hotmail app. I'll probably stick with that instead of dealing with changing.

I have an old Hotmail account that I like to keep tabs on, I use the normal email app and get notifications when I get new mail.

I just received my GSM unlocked developer edition today. It came with 4.2.2 installed.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

You can use wifi before activation of your phone and play around with different apps and other settings on the phone. Get a good feel for personalizing your Moto X. Then you can do the factory reset (which will allow you to know how it works) and actually setup your phone.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

My Moto X came with 4.4 preloaded already. It was the factory unlocked one, for what it's worth.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Same here received on Thursday mine had 4.4

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

If it's fresh out of the box there really isn't any point because there isn't any data. It would just be a waste of 15 minutes.

Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g