Moto X fragile screen?

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, I have been looking at reviews about how easily the Moto X screen shatters, for the last hour +.

Usually, when something is a non issue, the claims of how easily something breaks are at least somewhat offset by users claiming the opposite. This doesn't seem to be the case here. I could count the number of people claiming the opposite on one finger (OK, maybe two).

People are claiming short falls from night stands to carpet, laps, etc... are breaking the glass.

But then I see this: LINK

But then I read the comments on that page. Users point out that the test is faulty, not all phones landed on their corners, etc... And more users, again, claim that falling from lap to carpet shattered screen, etc... And claim that the phone is anything but durable. Plus, one test drop is hardly worthy empirical evidence. One test drop is actually not worth anything, at all.

This problem is compounded by the fact that the digitizer is mounted onto the display, making the repair much more expensive.

What are the thoughts of Moto X owners here? What about users who have actually cracked the screen, did you have to replace the display with the digitizer? How much did it cost? Did you just need to replace the much cheaper outside piece of glass?

I would prefer to not have a case with the phone, as that is one of the phone's best selling point - its form factor. But how well will a case prevent a cracked screen anyway? How well will one of those clear plastic snap cases from Motorola's website protect the screen from cracking?

Why are these screens so expensive to replace? Just looking at the HTC One, even with a new digitizer is well under $100. The cheapest I have seen a Moto X screen is $221.

This is very troublesome. There is no other phone on the market that does what this phone does. I would bet that most of the owners don't even realize half of what this phone does. Active display only lights up the pixels that are displaying something (why it gets such great battery life), has 3 microphones, which the one on the back picks up ambient noise and cancels it out, etc...

What are your thoughts?

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I really, really want this phone and no other, but I can't buy an egg shell for a phone, especially considering that a new screen is 3 times as much as, say, an HTC One's screen.

So I am considering maybe insurance could set my mind at ease, if it was affordable enough. What about worthavegroup.com The have competitive prices that I could live with; however, the reviews look out right terrible. Anyone have any experience with them?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What you refer to is the entire lcd assembly so it cost more, the digitizer is cheaper, but as you say it's very difficult to replace digitizer by itself when it's glued to the screen especially without the right tool.

It's all Gorilla glass same as all the other phones so it'll break when dropped at the right angle.

I use XtremeGuard wet applied screen protector which can be put in the front and back. That would be the minimal protection for just a few bucks without adding any bulk to the phone or take away from the look.

You can also look at tempered glass screen protector which is layer of glass you stick on top which will break when dropped and protect the real glass underneath. I'll post a pic on this when install mine.

A bumper is also one way to protect the phone without covering it up entirely.

If you get a TPU case for $3 it will do a superb job protecting the phone while improving grip. This is usually the best bang for the buck in term of protection.

Whatever you do unless you purchased accidental damage warranty prepare to pay big bucks if the glass breaks to fix it.

So far I love water applied screen protectors. They are flexible so they can wrap around curves. They are self healing (the good brands) so minor scratches can go away. They're transparent so it retain the phone look. They also improve grip due to their texture, there is no lost in touchscreen sensitivity but they are not as smooth as glass of course. The only down side is the difficulty in installing if you are new to it and water damaging the phone if you do it incorrectly, but a little water isn't going to hurt the Moto X since it have water resistance nano coating.

sent via Le Motonovo X

Last edited:

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
What you refer to is the entire lcd assembly so it cost more, the digitizer is cheaper, but as you say it's very difficult to replace digitizer by itself when it's glued to the screen especially without the right tool.

It's all Gorilla glass same as all the other phones so it'll break when dropped at the right angle.

I use XtremeGuard wet applied screen protector which can be put in the front and back. That would be the minimal protection for just a few bucks without adding any bulk to the phone or take away from the look.

You can also look at tempered glass screen protector which is layer of glass you stick on top which will break when dropped and protect the real glass underneath. I'll post a pic on this when install mine.

A bumper is also one way to protect the phone without covering it up entirely.

If you get a TPU case for $3 it will do a superb job protecting the phone while improving grip. This is usually the best bang for the buck in term of protection.

Whatever you do unless you purchased accidental damage warranty prepare to pay big bucks if the glass breaks to fix it.

So far I love water applied screen protector. They are flexible so they can wrap around curves, they are self healing (the good brand) so minor scratches can go away. They're transparent so it retain the phone look. They also improve grip due to their texture, there is no lost in touchscreen sensitivity but they are not as smooth as glass of course. The only down side is the difficulty in installing if you are new to it and water damaging the phone if you do it incorrectly, but a little water isn't going to hurt the Moto X since it have water resistance nano coating.

sent via Le Motonovo X

Thanks for the reply. From what I am reading, falling on the corners/edges is what breaks the glass, not actually falling on the glass. IN fact, you could (according to my research) throw it with force, and if the screen absorbs the impact, you're probably fine, but if it hits a corner, it's going to break.

I'm looking into the tempered glass screen protectors regardless of my phone of choice (hearing good things about them) but do they actually help prevent broken screens from corner impacts?

I am still wondering how well a TPU or bumper guard will prevent a broken screen from a corner impact. I know that on a "normal" phone they will help out a lot, but this phone seems to be a very special case (breaking on carpet is unacceptable). Maybe it's the bezel, edge to edge glass, etc... but there definitely seems to be a lot of complaints regarding.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're concerned about the screen just put tempered glass screen protector on it and maybe a case. I doubt, if treated that way, the Moto X would be any less than any other cared-for device.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Argh wth my screen have a scratch, it must have been from the manufactur since I remembered putting screen protector since day one, don't know how I didn't notice it. Anyway, wet applied screen protector also do a good job at hiding scratches.

I think tempered glass is a very good idea since the phone still look good and you that original smooth touch since it also have oleophobic coating. It should be enough to take the brunt of impact for the front, the only way you're going to protect the corner without a case is using a bumper or buy an Oppo since their Find 5 have steel frame. It's just that the current bumper available for the Moto X is kind of ugly and bully looking.

sent via Le Motonovo X

Guysakar

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not worried about something hitting the actual screen, nor scratches. I'll use a screen protector. I'm worried about dropping the phone and the screen cracking. I wonder if most of these broken screens are just the outside piece cracking - the outside piece that can be replaced for around $20 or so?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not worried about something hitting the actual screen, nor scratches. I'll use a screen protector. I'm worried about dropping the phone and the screen cracking. I wonder if most of these broken screens are just the outside piece cracking - the outside piece that can be replaced for around $20 or so?
The outside is the glass with the digitizer below, these usually come together, so we just call it the digitizer. These are cheap and you can buy from eBay. But generally with new phones they are glued to the LCD underneath as well. It's not an easy process to replace, you can check some YouTube video, it can take a lot of patience and some skills and with the right tools to do it perfectly, so it's not something I want to bother with.

i-Blason tempered glass for front and XtremeGuard wet applied for the back. The i-Blason glass is only 8H in hardness though, there is another brand with 9H I can't remember. It was very easy to install though. The wet applied screen protector make the back a little glossy, but unless you already have back cover made of non-skip material, it really help with the grip. The woodback isn't exactly thick so it's easy to get dings so this may help.

Attachments

• motox_waterapplied.jpg
    motox_waterapplied.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 92
  • motox_tempered_glass.jpg
    motox_tempered_glass.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

tex0322

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for a few days now and it seems pretty solid. I'm sure I could break almost any screen if i hit it at the right angle.

I've got a tempered glass screen protector and otterbox commuter on mine. I'm not that worried about it.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Are these tempered glass protectors removable (for phone resale, etc), and if so do they leave a residue on the phone glass?

Are they made to protect the screen from drops, or just scratches from keys in pocket, laying on table, etc.? Seems like they wouldn't do much in a drop but I have never used one.

Has anyone tried one with a Seidio Surface case? That is the case I was thinking about getting when I order my phone today. Wondering if it will slide over the tempered glass, or if there is enough space left around the border where it doesn't have to.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeahps, they're easily removable and none of the ones I've had have left any residue whatsoever.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
They are easily removable and good quality one should not be leave residue. For resale purposes you probably want to l leave them for increased value unless they're scratched up.

As for protection the way they're designed if you hit the phone with a hammer only the tempered glass should be broken leaving the screen below undamaged. There is a threshold to everything, but it should protect the original screen from most normal drops.

sent via Le Motonovo X

Last edited:

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
They are easily removable and good quality one should not be removable. For resale purposes you probably want to l leave them for increased value unless they're scratched up.

As for protection the way they're designed if you hit the phone with a hammer only the tempered glass should be broken leaving the screen below undamaged. There is a threshold to everything, but it should protect the original screen from most normal drops.

sent via Le Motonovo X

bold: huh?

I don't plan on hitting my phone with a hammer, but was wondering if they protect the screen when the phone drops it on it's side/corner.

OK, still need to find out if a Seidio Surface case will work with one.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
bold: huh?

I don't plan on hitting my phone with a hammer, but was wondering if they protect the screen when the phone drops it on it's side/corner.

OK, still need to find out if a Seidio Surface case will work with one.

I don't think it can protect side damages since the force would come from a different angle than its intended to shield, you're going to have to get a case or bumper.

sent via Le Motonovo X

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it can protect side damages since the force would come from a different angle than its intended to shield, you're going to have to get a case or bumper.

sent via Le Motonovo X

That's what I figured, so a case would be much more important. I'll get the Surface and keep checking to see if anyone has a glass protector with it.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Where are you reading that a short drop onto a carpet will break the glass? I am reasonably careful with my phones, but I've let it slip out of my lap onto carpet several times. It never occurred to me to worry that it might break. (And it hasn't.)

I am using a wet-mount screen protector, and nothing else. I like the way the phone feels, and don't want a case to make it bulky and awkward.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've never found a Motorola phone to be fragile. I dropped mine chest hight onto a concrete patio while at a brisk walk. No cracks and no noticeable scratches unless you look hard

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
any good recommendations on these tempered glass screen protectors?
There aren't much choices for the Moto X.

I use this one: Amazon.com: i-Blason Motorola X Moto X Smart Phone by Google [ Ultra-Thin 0.24 mm Tempered Glass ] Premium Minimal Bubble 8 H Scratch Free Screen Protector (Glass-uT): Cell Phones & Accessories
Its rated at 8H hardness, so it's not the best. However it's very thin, very smooth, good sensitivity and crystal clear.

This one is rated at 9H: Moto X Ghost Glass Screen Protector | MIME

One by Cruzerlite: http://www.cruzerlite.com/truglass-...otectors-for-motorola-moto-x-retail-packaging, no info, but since they say it's flexible that means its 8H.

Then there's this brand, but looks overpriced without much info: https://www.znitro.com/motorola-moto-x-nitro-glass-clear.html

I would go with MIME from those choices, but I'm pretty happy with the i-Blason.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463