Moto X: ART vs Dalvik

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X ART vs Dalvik

The performance differences between Dalvik and ART are not humanly detectable. Its nearly impossible to have other computers detect it. The reason ART was even created was because Dalvik is not a Google owned IP and they are very limited in modifying it to suit Android perfectly. So yeah it might not be better than Dalvik yet but it will be. It is usable at this point just for testing/development not to improve performance intentionally.

Yet I'm having differences in performance with ART and Dalvik. Imagine that.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I guess I have delusions and think it's more than placebo too. I think art is much faster too

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Delusions are deep sometimes. It's called a placebo.

No. I'm not being delusional. I am noticing performance differences in battery life and multitasking. If you see my screenshot above Android OS is killing my battery on Dalvik, yet it acts much better on ART.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

You have no clue why any of the stuff is happening for all you know a cloud went over your house and the lack of reception increased Android OS because of scanning or a Solar Flare just reached your location causing increased magnetic interference. Your just guessing and not in a laboratory environment with the ability to exclude anything. Your just some bloke taking note of a few points and ignoring the huge range of other factors that could be effecting your results. For bloody sakes you don't even have a control to compare to in real time.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

You have no clue why any of the stuff is happening for all you know a cloud went over your house and the lack of reception increased Android OS because of scanning or a Solar Flare just reached your location causing increased magnetic interference. Your just guessing and not in a laboratory environment with the ability to exclude anything. Your just some bloke taking note of a few points and ignoring the huge range of other factors that could be effecting your results. For bloody sakes you don't even have a control to compare to in real time.

Wow... Really?

Posted via my Moto X DE

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Really really.

Why so serious?

We're really going off of what we're experiencing on a day to day basis when comparing the run times and how we see them affect our usage. Is it an exact controlled experiment... No. But user experience is what people come to the board to look for.

Posted via Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Yeah you need to chill. Its not that serious at all. Its a dang phone we are talking about.

cq1125

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

I might be crazy, but my phone seems to get glitchy when installing a new app on ART. Perhaps it's because the app has to be optimized?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I might be crazy, but my phone seems to get glitchy when installing a new app on ART. Perhaps it's because the app has to be optimized?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Yup.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

When I switched back I'm still getting Google services disconnect or whatever. Everything still works fine. I only get that message when I restart my phone tho.

Those damn solar flares and clouds are stealing my signal... And battery life... It's funny because I actually have learned the effects of solar flares on vhf uhf and gps signals. I'm a meteorologist by trade. And we've had very quiet solar activity for quite a while. And if a cloud is killing my battery... All these cell phone companies are great cuz they duped a lot of people.

But I digress... My Vzw signal is usually really good most of the places I go... Regardless of solar activity or cloud conditions.

Posted via my Moto X DE

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE 2: Performance on ART has been good and battery life has been just as good as before. One thing I am noticing since switching back to ART since yesterday is that the "Google Services has stopped running" message has not shown up like it did before on ART. If I do see it again I will post again.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Why so serious?

We're really going off of what we're experiencing on a day to day basis when comparing the run times and how we see them affect our usage. Is it an exact controlled experiment... No. But user experience is what people come to the board to look for.

Posted via Android Central App

There are loads of data from real scientific method testing of ART vs Dalvik that is publicly available. I am just blown away but the "ignorance is bliss" be celebrated here. If coming to this board is about guessing and speculation incorrectly of already well known applied knowledge than things have changed alot and I will let you get back to your thread of fiction and I hope I didn't over agitate things with reality.

I am deeply sorry.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

UPDATE 2: Performance on ART has been good and battery life has been just as good as before. One thing I am noticing since switching back to ART since yesterday is that the "Google Services has stopped running" message has not shown up like it did before on ART. If I do see it again I will post again.

I'm still having Android OS eating my battery on art. It's weird. I dont remember that before.

Posted via my Moto X DE

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I have had ART turned on since the OTA 4.4.2 yesterday morning and have noticed an improvement in battery drain, although after only 24-hours way too soon to call that a qualified statement.

Apps launch quite a bit faster as would be expected since they do not need compiling on call. There have always been apps compiled and running in the background and ART only adds a few more to that list, so battery life should not be affected too much, if at all. And, as I noted, my battery life appears to have improved a little.

If you are experiencing a large increase in battery drain then it will almost certainly be the fault of after-market apps you have installed that are now doing stuff because they are sitting idling in the background. Those app developers need to take into account that ART may be running and they should change their apps to only be doing stuff that is really needed until it is called to the foreground. ART is currently experimental and so it will take some time for the developers to catch up, if they care enough and my guess is they will not. :)

As a programmer, I am sure ART is the way of the future for Android apps. Until using Android prior to ART, the last interpreter/JIT language I used was BASIC back in about 1981. :D

It will take Google to set an edict for the Play Store and ART compatibility, much as they have recently done with the Dev-shame, "Designed for phones" but give ART compatibility some teeth to force the devs to get ff their butts.

It's early ART days yet, but I see many good things to come of it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

There are loads of data from real scientific method testing of ART vs Dalvik that is publicly available. I am just blown away but the "ignorance is bliss" be celebrated here. If coming to this board is about guessing and speculation incorrectly of already well known applied knowledge than things have changed alot and I will let you get back to your thread of fiction and I hope I didn't over agitate things with reality.

I am deeply sorry.

If you would point to some links besides just talking so condescending to us then we would be happy to hear you. But all you are saying is "you're wrong and don't know what you are talking about".

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

If you would point to some links

While I am kinda on the side of Zedorda, the continuing poorly informed technical levels exhibited in a lot of posts here, does get frustrating to read with so many incorrect assumptions portrayed as facts.

A google of...

android art v dalvik

...responds with 495,000 hits and lots of valid and factual information available to all who care to educate themselves.

Some forum discussions can be a little like the old saw, "don't let facts spoil a good story."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund