Moto X not connecting to Wifi

Timtropolis

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Good day all,

Have a weird problem that I don't see an answer for, so I thought I'd post it here.

When I rec'd my Moto X last week, I was able to connect easily to my home wifi. Put the password in and connected up right away.

Last night, I had a friend over and he needed to use my wifi but we had a problem with the password so I temporarily removed my password from my home wifi and he was able to connect.
After he left, I reset the security on my home wifi. All my devices (2 other phones, tablet, ps3, 2 laptops) re-connected no problem with the exception of my Moto X.
I've been messing around with it all morning and have not been able to re-connect. When I attempt to connect, I have to click on 'connect' multiple times before it will even do anything.
When it does, it says "connecting" for about 5-10 seconds, then goes back to "Saved, secured WPA/WPA2" Below are things I've attempted to remedy the situation:

1. Forget, re-enter password.
2. Reset/remove the password. Even when I removed the password, it still does the same thing described in the above paragraph
3. Reset modem & router. My router is a Linksys WR54G with the latest firmware.
4. I am able to connect to other wifi options on my list with no problem.

If anyone can provide some insight/solution, I would really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Timtropolis
Moto X (16GB) running Android 4.4

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
If anyone can provide some insight/solution, I would really appreciate it.

Almost certainly a misspelling of the password. If you are using windows, go to Network and Sharing.
On the left will be "Manage wifi networks" select that.
The right-click on the wifi and select "Properties"
Make sure the "Show Password" is checked and compare the password it is using to connect to the router as it will be in open plain text.
Then make sure you correctly enter that into the X.

As a proud Dyslexic owner, I can attest to how easy it is to jumble seemingly un-jumble-able things. :D

Timtropolis

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Almost certainly a misspelling of the password. If you are using windows, go to Network and Sharing.
On the left will be "Manage wifi networks" select that.
The right-click on the wifi and select "Properties"
Make sure the "Show Password" is checked and compare the password it is using to connect to the router as it will be in open plain text.
Then make sure you correctly enter that into the X.

As a proud Dyslexic owner, I can attest to how easy it is to jumble seemingly un-jumble-able things. :D

Hey Piggy,

Yeah, tried that, I even removed the password entirely and it still wouldn't connect.

- - - Updated - - -

Reboot the X?

Several times with no luck.

Timtropolis

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

PROBLEM FIXED!

Just wanted to give an update on what the problem was and what I did to fix it.
Turns out that my MAC filtering was enabled as part of my router settings. Once I disabled it, I was able to connect with no problems at all.
Apparently this effects mobile devices such as phones/tablets but not laptops, printers or game consoles. It must also be Android OS dependent as my wife's phone (Android 4.2) was not affected.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in helping. All your help was much appreciated.
Best regards,
Tim

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

PROBLEM FIXED!

Just wanted to give an update on what the problem was and what I did to fix it.
Turns out that my MAC filtering was enabled as part of my router settings. Once I disabled it, I was able to connect with no problems at all.
Apparently this effects mobile devices such as phones/tablets but not laptops, printers or game consoles. It must also be Android OS dependent as my wife's phone (Android 4.2) was not affected.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in helping. All your help was much appreciated.
Best regards,
Tim

Glad you got it figured out. See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you posted this - I'm having the EXACT same problem with mine. I'll Have to try what you did...

Out of curiosity, what causes MAC setting issues? It seems like you'd have to actively change something, so why would it just pop up?

Posted via Android Central App

Rodrigo Soria

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My solution: I've turned off my router that is TP-LINK TL-WR340GD . Then i turned off mi Moto X and then first my cellphone then the damn router.
It worked!

mrugen_modi

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey Tim, I have the same issue. I can connect to all the wifi networks which are not security protected.
But when i try to access the password protected networks it just asks my identity... then shows the same...Saved,Security bla bla...
It doesnt even ask me for password. After some time it just says authentication failed... and when i attempt to connect again it tells the same...
U mentioned something about MAC filtering... Sorry but can u please tell me whats that... I cant disable or enable MAC filtering as i dont own the router since this is my building wifi and i dont own the router...
If u can please help me would be really helpful...

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tim, I have the same issue. I can connect to all the wifi networks which are not security protected.
But when i try to access the password protected networks it just asks my identity... then shows the same...Saved,Security bla bla...
It doesnt even ask me for password. After some time it just says authentication failed... and when i attempt to connect again it tells the same...
U mentioned something about MAC filtering... Sorry but can u please tell me whats that... I cant disable or enable MAC filtering as i dont own the router since this is my building wifi and i dont own the router...

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Any device that connects to a network and obtains an IP address has a MAC Address. It is a unique number that no other device in the world has. Mac filtering is used to allow only the MAC Addresses specified connect to the network. Upon trying to connect to a network that has MAC filtering enabled the router looks to see if your device has a Mac address that is on the list of approved addresses. If not it immediately rejects your request for an IP address. Regardless of weather or not you entered the correct WPA key.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Undress Arata

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,

I've been having this same issue for the last two days and I've been everywhere looking for a solution for this, anybody has news on this?

Saludos

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got my refurbished replacement ( my original did not survive my 7 year old's tantrum ). The refurbished refuses to connected and says "saved" while the original still connects. MAC Authentication is off. I was on the phone with Motorola for over an hour. Did the forget and reconnect, power cycled the modem, cleared the cache, even did a factory reset of the phone. NOTHING WORKED. I am sending it back and they are replacing my replacement with another replacement.

I have had issues before with my HP Touchpad running android but a cleaning of the cache would fix it.

Keegan Pinto1

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Even i am having the exactly similar issue on my moto x first gen. Could you give me a solution to it if you have figured out a way. I cannot connect to any wifi like my office wifi my home wifi my friends wifi. This problem has suddenly just come up with my device. I even did a factory reset but dnt help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles