Moto X: terrible battery life on standby

austin58m

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I love my moto x but im about to get rid of it because of the battery life. Sorry this might be a long post too.

So I've had an s4, htc one, note 2, lg g2, and now the moto x. All the others used well under 1 percent an hour on standby. This one is using around 3.5% an hour at least. Ive read 20 plus fourm posts and no answers. Sorry i dont have screenshots now, i keep forgetting, but i can give you guys a pretty good idea of the usage. I have gsam and betterbatterystats installed.

My phone if left overnight will drain about 15 to 20 percent even after a reboot. I have about 20,000 powermanagerservice wakelocks at the end of the day which from what i understand are partial wakelocks, and arent a huge deal, but it seems like they may be. The thing is i have no idea what they are. The phone always goes into deep sleep unless im playing music (only about an hour a day). Gps and wifi enabled. Ive tried gps off and it didnt help though. Location reporting is off.

Right now im getting about 11 hours before its dead. About 2 hours or less screen time. Always in good (3+ bars) service. Usually on wifi about 80% of the time. I just have no idea when even when its in my pocket its using so much battery. At the end of the day android os and google play music are the top battery users. usually after about 20 minutes of listing to music in the morning it will pass android os. You would think i have a bad battery but i can get about 4.5 hours screen time if i use it continuously to browse the web.

If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it, i tried to include any relevant information. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto x terrible battery life on standby

Do you have location reporting turned on? I have it off and my Android os us usually around 11-15% on a 24 hour + charge.

-Moto X-

shelbylido

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Download Battery Doctor. I average 23+ hours every charge. This phone is amazing. If I knew how to insert a screenshot I'd post battery stats image.

Posted via Android Central App

punkJDJD

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Download Battery Doctor. I average 23+ hours every charge. This phone is amazing. If I knew how to insert a screenshot I'd post battery stats image.

Try to press Power button + volume down to take a screen shot

Enviado do meu HTCSensation atrav?s de Tapatalk

LinusMcl

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

I am getting similar results using about 3.7% per hour doing nada, I can last 18 hours with moderate use. On 4.2 I got 24 hours easily but 4.4.2 stopped that and yes I did a FDR after getting KitKat and a further cache partition reset but to no avail.
I guess I can live with 18 but 24 meant I never had to worry about running out of juice

jcg5862

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site

+1 on Battery Doctor. I also use Clean Master and have similar battery life.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm in China right now on vacation, and my moto x is on airplane mode, except WiFi is on, and location mode is off; however, my moto x will be at 40% in 12 hours. That is with my moto x sitting on the counter for 12 hours untouched. I am sure that the problem is the phone because my iPhone 4s will still be in the high 90's after 12 hours

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I just got my new moto X last week directly from Motorola and Moto Maker. It is a Verizon version. I do not have anything special on it for battery life. I am easily getting through a full 15 to 18 hour day of moderate to heavy usage. it was fully charged at 10 p.m. Last night and I did not charge it overnight and only used it for about 15 minutes before I went to sleep. When I got up this morning at 7 it was at 92 percent. And that was after my alarm when off and I hit snooze twice and then use the flashlight for about a minute to get some clothes out of my closet so I wouldn't wake up my girlfriend. That seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Just FYI, I work on job sites throughout the day so I am rarely connected to wifi if at all . I stream music for probably about one and a half to two hours total per day also.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X

Dtwitch19

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I unplug mine in the morning after an all night charge and drive to work. After 1 hour off the charger it's down to 96% with NO use and a full signal the entire time. It's about 62% after 16 hours with 4 min of screen on time. I hope 4.4.2 fixes this (Verizon Moto X/Motomaker)

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

After 1 hour off the charger it's down to 96% with NO use and a full signal the entire time.

Go to
Settings
Apps
Swipe-left to Running
At the top of the screen see "Cached..." and tap that.
ALL of the apps in Running and Cached are running all the time. That cost battery power.

Also "full signal" the phone is calling home frequently during that hour to notify the cell-system where you are and what cell-tower to hand you to next. The frequency of calling home varies based on a lot of things. It can be every ten minutes or thirty minutes or something in between. The phone when OFF is really OFF but not so with Sleep. :D

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

4.4.2 is suppose to address the idle drain. I don't have any significant answers but I've had this issue too but on my latest moto x (bought an ebony) I didn't install all my apps and it seems to be draining much better. I think my issue is a app + the issue 4.4.2 fixes.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Dswann3

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

I was having similar issues but a factory reset did wonders. I went thru every sync setting and made sure everything I didn't want to use was off or disabled or on battery save (locations, wifi, etc.). I'm now able to get 1% hourly drop (sometimes less) on stand-by. Still on 4.4.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

When I activated ART and it had to reboot during that process, it said "updating 162 apps" I only have 11 apps that I have downloaded and installed so there are 151 other internal apps now running on idle or fully active.

Get over the battery drain OR start cleaning out apps you don't really need. The geewhiz things are nice eye candy but most of the them are only doing what you could do with the stock Android and three or four finger taps.

Don't forget the Permissions you have agreed to with a lot of those apps, as a lot of them are calling home all the time, even when not in the forefront. No guesses why I don't have many third party apps. :)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I have to agree with OP. I am pretty good with getting good battery, I get 5+ hours of screen on time. But both Moto X I used have issues with battery draining when idling more than some other phones, even on 4.4.2.

anon(4931742)

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I was having similar issues but a factory reset did wonders. I went thru every sync setting and made sure everything I didn't want to use was off or disabled or on battery save (locations, wifi, etc.). I'm now able to get 1% hourly drop (sometimes less) on stand-by. Still on 4.4.

Just 3 days back, after 4.4 update, I did a factory reset to start fresh. But, after yesterday's 4.4.2 update, I did not do factory reset. Is it required again?

Overnight, if I keep the phone untouched, I see 1.7% drop per hour if I leave my Wifi ON. Even when WIFI is turned ON, the phone is untouched and Active Notifications are set to OFF from 11 PM to 6 AM.

But, if I turn off my WIFI before going to bed, I get 1% drop per hour which is acceptable. I am not sure why keeping WIFI ON take extra battery.

anon(4931742)

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I have to agree with OP. I am pretty good with getting good battery, I get 5+ hours of screen on time. But both Moto X I used have issues with battery draining when idling more than some other phones, even on 4.4.2.

Once I take the phone off charger at 8 in the morning, I usually get 3 hours of screen time and the phone will have 15-20% battery left by 11 PM (after 15 hours). Out of 15 hours, I will be on 3G at work for 9 hours and rest on Wifi. Probably, the remaining 15% juice will be enough 10 hours of idle time.

My regular day includes 5-10 minutes of phone calls, facebook, more time in reading textual content in Chrome or Google Play News Stand. Mostly no video/audio streaming.

Settings: Moto Assist, Moto Connect, GPS, Location Services are Turned Off. Auto Sync for GMail, Facebook, WhatsApp

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

You could factory reset, but I don't think its necessary. In WiFi settings, you should disable "Scanning always available".

You may be able to squeeze some battery by disabling autosync for everything. Use Synker Widget, it let you create a widget to manually initiate syncing. It's settings also allow you to disable more Google sync features than allowed typically. I use it with Tasker and create a profile that initiate Synker once per hour.

If you haven't, install Greenify. Select all the apps you want to hibernate and doesn't need to be updated in the background. Then just press the "Zz" button which will auto hibernate them.

Last edited: