Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pgoelz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Default Twist doesn't start camera app?

Did something change recently..... like in the Kit Kat update? I'm running KK 4.4 and I could swear that a wrist twist used to open the camera app no matter what. Now I find that it only works if the camera app is cached in memory (ie., if it has been run and shut down but not dismissed from the multi-tasking menu).

Note that I am using DS Battery Saver, but the camera app is whitelisted and is not killed when the phone goes to sleep.

Paul

Default Re: Twist doesn't start camera app?

FWIW I am still running JB & the only time a twist wont start the camera is when the screen is covered. I keep mine in a portfolio style case, I have to open the cover before I twist; which leads me to think it has something to do with the proximity sensor. Are you using anything that might be covering the sensor?

K
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kobolila View Post
    FWIW I am still running JB & the only time a twist wont start the camera is when the screen is covered. I keep mine in a portfolio style case, I have to open the cover before I twist; which leads me to think it has something to do with the proximity sensor. Are you using anything that might be covering the sensor?

K
    No, I am not covering the sensor at all. I take the (naked) phone out of my pocket and twist it. As I said, I could swear it used to start the camera even if the camera was not resident in memory.

Note that if the camera IS resident in memory, a twist starts it perfectly.

Test it for me.... make sure there is nothing in the multi-tasking menu. Then put the phone to sleep and then give it a twist. Does the camera start?

Paul

I've never had a problem. I just did what you asked and cleared my cache and it worked fine. I had actually just taken a pic and had thought how much I like the twist and shoot. My nephew got an X a few weeks before me and when I tried to turn on his camera by twisting my wrist I couldn't do it. I should find out if his is still giving him problems or if it was just an isolated incident.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

OOPS, sorry. Looks like it is an oddity with DS Battery Saver. I disabled DS and the camera starts normally with a twist, even if it is not resident in memory. With DS enabled, and even if the camera is whitelisted, the camera will not start with a twist unless it is memory resident.

Never mind

Paul
    kobolila and ttfn92 like this.